Thread: Tara and other "top bosses"

Angry Tara and other "top bosses"

When I started the game in oct. 2002 I learnt a thing or two.

One of the first things, I learnt, is the fact, that I will be ever a "noob" in the eyes of some, who played the game for a longer time. And as such a "noob" I am not supposed to have an opinion.
    Nevertheless, I take the risk to be flamed and dare to have an opinion.

My descision for this game was based on it's skill system. In my early visions I saw so many ways, to develop one's character. Of course I learnt also very early, that most of the skills are not possible or at least very hard for for certain professions. Ok, no problem, so I must specialize and become "good" in my prof.
    Then I learnt, that I do not really have a chance to become "good", because those, who have a rich main are always better, simply because they can twink their new characters without end, due to the credits, the main earned. So I learnt, that for me, as a "true noob" remains only the hard way to go. I tried my best, knowing, that I will be avarage compared to those twinks until I reached higher levels beyond 150.

At about level 20 I heard the first time about Tara and other top bosses. I heard about the precious items they drop, why everybody wants them and why it is so hard, to get them. That was my perspective: Make my way, until I can take it up with some buddies and win fights against those "uber bosses".

Meanwhile, at lvl 168, I know a lot more about the game.
    About two weeks ago I took part on my first "Tara raid". Man, was I disappointed. A mass party with a tombola, nothing else. A point system, which supports only players with A LOT of time. Skills? ROFL. Team coordination? LoL. Luck and time, that's all.
    Well, some know, how to force "luck" a bit in their direction. I know some players, who are on with 2 or three characters of friends, who are off. Nice way to gain Tara points.
    I met ppl, who organize their life after Tara-spawns. I don't know, if they even quit whatever they do in RL, but in game they are a PITA for any team. Regardeless, what happens, they quit during team missions, tower battles or whatever, just because it is Tara time. IMHO the game itself becomes torn apart beyond lvl 140 because of this, although I can understand the motivation of those players, who are not to blame for this ridiculous system.

Why ridiculous?
    Well, as stated above, in my imagination in a MMORPG one can earn good stuff by skill and not only because one has more time and/or more luck and/or more buddies, who give away passwords and account rights.

Almost the same, although a bit better, with other top bosses.
    First one needs a good team to go for one of those. Alone this makes it unimpossible for some players, to ever gain one of the "better items". Why is it so hard to find a good team at higher levels?
    1) Players are simply fed up, have all, need nothing
    2) Players are too rich and buy good stuff for ridiculous amounts
    3) Players are simply tired of camping hours and hours a certain boss, just to find some crap, but not the desired item
    4) It's easier to make some quick BS-missions; more XP, less work
    5) It's almost impossible, because the major bosses are mostly camped by several teams

Conclusions:
    1) The game supports the lucky one, not the skilled one (other example: pppe)
    2) The player, who prefers to play independently and solo gains nothing (except he is lucky, finds a pppe or a GAx, becomes rich and buys the stuff)

My suggestions:
    1) Stop Tara-tombola! Make a Tara-quest instead: Everybody, who wants to take part in a Tara-raid, must have solved the quest. The quest could be somewhat random, to avoid boredom and routine. Restrict numbers of ppl, taking part in one Tara-raid.
    2) Make special dungeons for top bosses to avoid the presence of several teams at the same time
    or
    3) Allow PvP in a "top boss area" between all, who want the loot.
    4) Remove "NODROP" from all items, which can be found on bosses.

Of course I know, that it is simple to suggest things. Maybe some events must be the way they are, because it is technically not possible, to do it in a different way. But I am not convinced, if FC did really think things through, before they were implemented in the game.

I'll second that, heh. (I still want my PPPE but haven't gotten lucky yet)

Ive been around since beta and launch and some people will always look at others as noobs, inferior, whatever.

Dont let that bum you out.

The best fun is with your friends, een in a BS mission if yuore with friends its fun and different.

Maybe I'm missing something...

I agree with all of the above, while I'm not sure this is exactly the rightt hread to be dropping this in, but it seems mildly appropriate. (I apologize if this should be put elsewhere, and will gladly accept flak for it)

I'm currently playing a lvl 83 Engineer, and I've nearly completely lost interest in the game.

I've done missions, solo and team, dungeons, quests, ran around in the wilderness, made things, etc. etc.

I don't have a boundless amount of playtime at my disposal, usually towards the later hours of the night, so getting in a team is extremely difficult at times, and I find myself forced to solo alot. It's taken me a week to go from 82 to 83 doing solos.

As noted above, items essential for certain tradeskills (such as the PPPE) are so rare that most will never be able to find one, or afford to buy one of another player for multiple millions of credits.

Another point is that alot of the good missions I'm pulling are so far away from a whompa or grid point that it would take me 45 minutes just to run there, and being that I have to buy a new bot nano every couple levels, chances are it will be a long time before I have enough credits at my disposal to afford a yalm. (I've heard rumors of yalms dropping off Ninjas, but have had no luck thus far)

I guess what I'm asking is if there is anything else to do? I'm getting tired of doing mission after mission after mission after mission just to get enough IP so that I can equip a single piece of armor, or use a new nano.

I'm not whining, merely asking if there are any other options that I haven't explored.

Thanks,

-- Cybr0t McWhuflf
    82 Engineer, Clan Outcasts
    36 Adventurer

Re: Maybe I'm missing something...

Originally posted by CybreWulf
    I'm not whining, merely asking if there are any other options that I haven't explored.

Thanks,

-- Cybr0t McWhuflf
    82 Engineer, Clan Outcasts
    36 Adventurer
    Start a fixer, MA, or enforcer and learn to have some fun. Engineers are a hard class at times (you'll feel so free without a bot following you around), and if I hadn't started my fixer when I did between my engineer dispair and my NT I would have quit.

-Before getting a yalm ask yourself if this is a character you enjoy playing, cause once the yalm is in your inv its not going anywhere...
    -If you like getting to places fast all the more reason to play a fixer
    -Fixers are one of the best classes to get money in quick, exciting blitz runs

-this is not a shameless plug for my profession.

You have an adventurer too which is good
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

Re: Tara and other "top bosses"

Originally posted by Lemain

My suggestions:
    1) Stop Tara-tombola! Make a Tara-quest instead: Everybody, who wants to take part in a Tara-raid, must have solved the quest. The quest could be somewhat random, to avoid boredom and routine. Restrict numbers of ppl, taking part in one Tara-raid.
    2) Make special dungeons for top bosses to avoid the presence of several teams at the same time
    or
    3) Allow PvP in a "top boss area" between all, who want the loot.
    4) Remove "NODROP" from all items, which can be found on bosses.

Of course I know, that it is simple to suggest things. Maybe some events must be the way they are, because it is technically not possible, to do it in a different way. But I am not convinced, if FC did really think things through, before they were implemented in the game.

3) Hell NO.

What about: make Tara a quest/mission so that :

1) A copy of the dungeon is spawned for every team that enter. (or limit that just to Tara's room)
    2) People can only take the quest 1/week. (to avoid uber multiplication of Tara's pieces)

or why not :
    3) Make an ingame tombola, winners can enter the area.
    (it can't really be worse that what we have today)

A few random idea for bosses :

1) Random spawning time
    2) (Maximum) time left for respawn should be accessible to everyone, not just the people that camped its last spawn !

PPPEs should be shop stuff, but expensive tho. Around 100m or so.

New place holder system associated with new mobs works pretty well, it ain't perfect but rewards those who are determined.

Tarasque only drops about 3-4 things worth the trouble, while I would say that the stuff that drops now from other uniques is in most cases even better.

Tarasque could have a PH system, but random spawn is not the answer. Killing PH could have like 10% chance of spawining Tara and if not spawned withing 18h it would spawn like normally, but with a little helper

Question why?

why make it so rare respectively expensive? Tradeskills are broken IMO because it is so hard to come by that kind of stuff.

I played some other MMORPGs before; in every one there were lots of players makeing a living by trade skills (weapon smiths, armourer and the like). Here everybody wants to be a killer, because it is not rentable enough just to make stuff ( no XP worth the efforts) for others. And anybody knows, how annoying it is, to look for a NT/engi/trader, who has enough skill to assemble/build your ql 200 imps/armour. Until now I did not meet personally a fixer, who is capable of stripping imps.

Make pppe and the like quest items, nodrop unique and engi / trader only.
    Last edited by Lemain; Jan 15th, 2003 at 11:51:02.

Make pppe and the like quest items, nodrop unique and engi / trader only
    Why engi and trader only? Other people can make them as well.

Engineer population is relative small and those engis that can actually make ql 200 armors are rarity. Trader are more common...mostly I see other professions then traders and engis doing pieces of armor.

I kinda agree. Make tara a placeholder thing or something within campalot. Leave it 25% but to be honest pvp on the scale that goes on in campalot is poo. We have NW and WTF for pvp if we feel like it now. Iv been to wtf with a couple of teams of omni and clan who all go there arranged for mass pvp in an indoor environment and its way better than tara. Make it a placeholder with 25% gas in there then he can still be snatched etc from the opposing side and those with lives can see him :P
    I am Kong.

Strong and passionate, I tend to be misunderstood, sometimes even feared. I don't want to fight, I don't want to cause trouble, all I ask is a little love, and a little peace. If I don't get what I want, I get angry, and throw barrels and flaming oil at whatever's stopping me.

Re: Tara and other "top bosses"

Originally posted by Lemain

Conclusions:
    1) The game supports the lucky one, not the skilled one (other example: pppe)
    2) The player, who prefers to play independently and solo gains nothing (except he is lucky, finds a pppe or a GAx, becomes rich and buys the stuff)

My suggestions:
    First i find this a bit self contradicting. Saying forst you dont like that you like ppl finding ppe at random, then you want the ppl that can join tara, to be random?

But i see your point, about tara can be dull. But its not always like that. Sometimes its fierce fights, somtimes you can catch tara alone, sometime you can get rushed when tara is at 10% and you loose/win it all. Sometimes ARKs shows up as trees or skeletons... I have yet to win a raffle at tara myself, but friend of me won Gaily painted hood the only time he been there. A raffle system isnt fair, with points or not, but maybe the fairest that can be used.

I think there is alot of changes that can be made to tara, but that will just make other things bad as there will be things that is better.

(if you switch to omni there is no point system for number of times you has attended)

Camelot should no longer be 25% and a shopping mart for the few. It should be turned into a nice quest that brings guilds together. It should be of course difficult, yet achievable.

As stated, you got Notum Wars and Will to Fight for those who desire to PvP.

Re: Re: Tara and other "top bosses"

Originally posted by Xeni

First i find this a bit self contradicting. Saying forst you dont like that you like ppl finding ppe at random, then you want the ppl that can join tara, to be random?
    Please look closely: Not ppl are chosen randomly. The proposed "Tara-quest" should be with random contents. Nothing worse, than doing exactly the same quest over and over again.
    Let the quest taker earn points for e.g. how fast he solved it. Those with most points can go to Tara as next.

To say one thing loud and clear: I do not think, that I invented the wheel again. I am aware, that there is always a big gap between a desire and the final action.
    OTOH I am a customer and not a designer, nor a coder.
    In my job there is a saying: "Impossible" does not exist.
    So: It IS possible to make things worse, but it IS also possible, to make things better.

My opinion: leave T alone. If you want a high end guild outing, there's plenty of outdoor badass bosses you can plan events for. What little variety in high level content should stay there. Right now we have Camelot (win the dragon over the other faction), outdoor bosses (ranging from a decent challenge to full coordinated raids), the new PVP oriented dungeon WTF, and notum wars. The dynamics are different for each of the game styles and frankly that sort or variety is keeping my account open.

I'm lookin forward to the new dungeon and what kind of tricks they throw at us....

-DE

Taken from a post I did found in Phione's Idea "drastic changes : Modify Camelot

You know, Im a casual player, I solo about 50% of the time, and group the other half. Yet what I need to say is, I have no desire, even if and when I hit lvl 200, to PvP in AO. To me, its a game I play to make myself feel good about the acomplishments I make in game, thats it. I have no desire for myself to feel like crap becuase another UbAr player killed me to feel good about themselves. NONE.

Where does this leave me as the player who plays the game to feel good about acomplishments on lvls/equip/etc , when some of the best loot drops in a zone that is pure PvP? No where. I have already told myself I will NEVER OWN AN EOT. Ever. Its that simple. Kinda upsetting when it is roughlly the best ENF weapon in the game. So much for my feeling good about my equipment accomplishments huh?

Phione's idea is a great one, but I would like to add yet something else to. And ya this is just a wish by me, pure greed for only myself sure, yet I would like to see it done none the less ( and Im not a greedy guy IRL, Im actually a nice person who will sacrife things for himself for others ).

Please EITHER make it a no PvP zone, or make the loot available on Mobs that are IN no PvP zones. Make it the same mob, make it a harder mob, I dont care. But I would like some of that loot to, yet have no desire to PvP, so that leaves me out completlly . . .

and ya know what? I pay my money every month like the rest of you so I can have fun to ( and that doesnt include PvP ).

Other then that I totally agree with Phione's post. She is not trying to screw anyone out of anything, she is just trying to make it so those whoo are looking for only certain types of items dont all have to fight with one another over ONE MOB.

Makes sense to me.

Merry Part and Blessed Be,
    ~P~
    Quik
    Quiksilva - Omni Enforcer ( hey its a job )

Misterbungle - Rerolled 2HE Omni Enforcer . . . . . " It's not funny my @ss is on fire! "

Why are both of my ONLY two characters Enforcers? Simple, it doesnt matter what weapon/armor/style you go for, Enforcers are a very simple and much needed class in game. You simple hit things. ALOT >

" We have no great war, no great desprssion. Our great war is a spiritual war, our depression, is our lives. " ~ Tyler Durden, Fight Club

Perhaps they could put in some story and change the gas and access to the area once in a while.

Perhaps not the best thing to do but at least a compromise.
    The information above is highly classified and only available to worthy Omni-Tek employees; any individual spilling out this info to filthy rebels will be considered a traitor, cooked alive and fed to leets.
    Phloxom - Engi 86
    My Rimor QL50-120 market place
    Fallen Sword: Free web based MMORPG