Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarabot

Tarabot

After six months of operation, including 1002 players and 640 raids, Tarabot is down. It will not be back.

When Tarabot was first written, we were struggling to take Camelot back from Omni control. It became apparent that without more organization and stronger cooperation, we would not be able to take and hold the castle. The issues that we faced were chat system limitations (chat would break if the raid leader (usually Javaschick) disconnected) and a very tedious raffle system (collecting numbers to two clients and having helpbot roll). I wrote Tarabot to be a tool for raid leaders to manage these things more effectively. My only real condition on it was that I wanted it to stay an equitable environment (many people wanted to have weighting by organization size or similar things).

Tarabot did successfully resolve these issues. However, people came to me as if I was somehow the leader of the raid leaders. I would log in to play every day and spend my first 30-45 minutes of game time responding to offline tells and trying to resolve disputes. Many tells were complaints or even heated insults. It got to the point where I wouldn't even play my main character (Asmoran) because I could not play for 10 minutes without having someone jump my ass about something. I bought vBulletin (the same forum system we have here) and set it up so players would have somewhere out of game to discuss issues. But very few people used it and I continued to have my game time disrupted. So I took the bot down -- I'm here to play a game in my limited free time, not be a target for whining.

Azzazzimon and I had a few chats about it, and together we worked out a system that would help alleviate this and allow me to play. So I brought Tarabot back with a wiped userlist and the mandatory restriction that no user would be added to the bot without registering on the forums. Additionally, major participating organizations would have representatives on the admin team. I stated outright that Tarabot is nothing more than a tool and the admins are the people to take issues to. This worked for the most part.

Tarabot is gone now because:
    - it rewards players who exploit the system (registering for raffles from missions or pvp).
    - it is an abusive environment for people who are serving the community, to the point where we don't really have any active admins.
    - people don't respect my time and efforts enough to actually read the sticky threads in our forums before posting for addition, obvious because of the questions I get in-game and the idiots who post outside the obvious thread.
    - people who argue with my requirement for posting on the forums without understanding the history behind it.
    - people who spit negativity toward the whole thing but aren't willing to put any effort into making it better.
    - people who pile into the box room to /afk when there is no opposition, but as soon as it requires any work they are nowhere to be found.
    - people who accuse me of rigging or cheating the system when I've bent over backwards to make sure that Tarabot was completely fair. And in this group are the people who think that my organization is rolling in Tarasque loot when most of us have never won a damn thing we want.

I created Tarabot to enhance our (the players) enjoyment of the game. It has become apparent to me that it has not done this. If it has done anything, it has encouraged an entitlement attitude that has made Camelot anything but fun. I consider Tarabot a failure, and for this I'll apologize. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to find a way to make this work that brought out the best in people rather than the worst in people.

Best of luck.
    Kennan - President, Arcane Legacy
    Asmoran - Retired (Former President, Synergy Factor)

Not really sure how to respond to this.

The reasons you list are exactly why I (a Tarabot admin) rarely go to Camelot anymore.

Further, it is also why I refused 90% of the time to be the head admin running a raid. It simply brings more pain and agony than I could possibly wish upon myself. To listen to the insults, the bickering, the whining for loot, and of course the accusations day in and day out -- it was simply a matter of time before it took its toll on everyone involved in making it possible.

Clan has been taking advantage of Tarabot for months now with little to no regard for the admins (or the coder!) who devoted so much time so that 1) we could pull together as a faction, and 2) they could have a quick, fair system of loot distribution.

Many Clanners were grateful. Many never complained. It's the large group of Clanners who were entirely negative who are ruining for everyone what once changed the tides in our favor.

How easily we forget.

Tarabot weren't a failure.

It served clan side -community very well, more building and let people know others that any other way.

What else way you can start learning great people at AO, except big unique raids which needed more than one guild was able to do ?
    That was time when Tarabot arrived. It gived same chance to great loot to everyone, regarding did you were a old&big guild or smaller one. It drived us forward.

I believe that people greediness drived at different rules - and different times. And still admins were forced to fix errors - players who didnt listen them or do what was need to be done (how many times there were wrong class players registered at raffles?).

I personally want thank every Administrator for doing they job, even errors might happened.
    I want thank SF and Aaronb which made small people to able to see biggest Unique what AO had.

Tarabot was best what we could have - like democracy to citizens.
    They dont know how good it was before you dont have it anymore.

"small people of AO"
    2c
    Lyijy Engineer
    Zernia2 Ancarim Iron Legion Enforcer

Originally posted by Kasasthania
    Tarabot weren't a failure.

It served clan side -community very well, more building and let people know others that any other way.

What else way you can start learning great people at AO, except big unique raids which needed more than one guild was able to do ?
    That was time when Tarabot arrived. It gived same chance to great loot to everyone, regarding did you were a old&big guild or smaller one. It drived us forward.

I believe that people greediness drived at different rules - and different times. And still admins were forced to fix errors - players who didnt listen them or do what was need to be done (how many times there were wrong class players registered at raffles?).

I personally want thank every Administrator for doing they job, even errors might happened.
    I want thank SF and Aaronb which made small people to able to see biggest Unique what AO had.

Tarabot was best what we could have - like democracy to citizens.
    They dont know how good it was before you dont have it anymore.

"small people of AO"
    Could it be sayed more perfect?
    I thank YOU asmoran for you'r time and you'r will to help others!
    Now omni's get the chance for some phat lewt, bet they'r overexcited :P

I bow to you asmoran - For trying to acomplish fairness, eqality and giving everyone a chance for taraloot nomatter what guild they where in.
    DO NOT NERF QB!
    Osma
    TEH SEXYNESS

Dead Sexy Osma

no bot = no clans = no fun
    // wildwal - the sexiest adv evar - now with nr!
    // legion

No we have "omnientarenabot" now instead...
    Fluff Molgan Fluffyfluff eqp
    Mglomk2
    Synergy Factor

....have been horribly brainwashed by the prospect of being uber into camping NPCs until their peepee's shrivel (c) Naraya

Well, I wonder what's going to happen now?
    Velveeta - The best atrox doctor on Rubi-Ka 1!
    Aiboforcen - A change of pace..
    Shikhi - The return!

Digital Gunfire - Music to level by.

The end of the "Lootwh*ry"

quoting myself from SF-Forum (02.01.03):

"Lootwh*res show up and enter every raffle, when there is easy loot, and whine, when someone else wins it. And when it comes to contribute something, fight omnis, and take over responcibility only few are left.

Poor Asmoran, u did a great job with giving "tarabot" to clan, but somtimes children turn evil, even if u give them as much love as u can."

Tarabot is dead, long live Tara! The evil chicken corrupted the souls of too many, only tru heroes are able to fight the real enemy.
    If u think, u are one of these, post here >> http://213.221.106.91/forum/showthre...threadid=57871 << or send me a tell iG (Yppololita, Yppodromia). I MAY examine u and invite u to a raid.

Thanks for all good work Asmoran!

Tarabot was a great tool, and helped all clanners that joined alot.

But, we always have whiners, if they have nothing to whine about, then they whine about that.

They whine when they don't win.
    They whine when omnis win(but they usually not there to fight).
    They whine when they win, because they didn't win GPH or HPO

It's those people that ruin for everyone else.

Thanks to the people that was there to help and have fun.

(If Asmoran would have rigged raffles, I really think Sheffy would have got a GPH several months ago)
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Dunno what to say really....
    Just wanna thank you Asmoran for all the work you have done for the clan community , making this bot and given us small people a chance . It saddens me that its at an end , but all good things never lasts long ...
    "I am an empty dream like snow left on the mountains in summer. I feel my warm blood moving inside of me and I am reminded that I am living. My soul will have its home in the rising of the sun . If you feel sad, look at the dawn with all of its beauty. You will find me there."

Gabriyell1
    BattleRoyale
    Snikende

Actually had fun at Tara last night. Storm had a team or 2, Apoc/Rebels with a team and Redemption had a team.

May the best damage team win :P

I loved Tarabot in the beginning, and I still love what it stands for but I understand perfectly what Asmoran had to deal with, and being accused of cheating etc. on a daily basis would have to suck.

Omni will probably get most of the loot now, and clanners will only have themselves to blame for the morass. For people not in large guilds that used to come, no point in going now, only strong PVP/damage teams will be of any use now.
    LVL 220 Vanguard Out to pasture
    LVL 220 Eternalist researching
    LVL 220 Dictator Retired
    LVL 220 Field Marshal Resetting/twinking

LVL 220 Savior (researching)

Firetree Server, Horde of course

Eh, kinda speechless.. =/

Only thing i can say is You Did a good work with tarabot anyway and i wish you Good luck in the future. =)
    RK1 - Hajk - Solitus - Lvl 217/DR 16 - Nanotech - Apocalypse
    ---
    Explorer 60% / Socializer 53% / Killer 46% / Achiever 40%

I took part of many recent raid with my fixer, and tarabot was a great tool for clanners. So, Thx for all Aaronb to have given a chance for all to get a tara loot. Take care of u...
    [ Mademoiselle - Equipement ]
    [ Onze - Equipement ]

Storm Member

ah sucks :/ the loot whinners make tara no fun at all
    Rebbeca Omni Tek President
    RHD Black Watch Regiment

"Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards."
    -Aldous Huxley

"A good old story"

Let me tell you a little "big" story. Well it begins like this:

When I was still a newbie, of course I knew of Tarasque, I first
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    heard of it at level 21, I heard great storys and that sort.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Level 100. I heard of my guildies going to Tarasque, I had no interest, back then.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hit level 128, my guild leader tells in the guild chat:
    Tarabot is going on, anyone want come? I of course, got little
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    more intersted, and ask "I want to come, what do I need to do?"-
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My guild leader back then said "Ok great! you just need to be added to the bot, contact Javaschick, and tell her I sent you" I
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    send a tell to Javaschick (Take a guess, what I said). "Hey! my
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    guild leader told me to contact you about geting added to
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tarasque." My reply sounded like this "Ok, added" I said "Wow,
    cool!!!!! thank you very very much!" my guild leader told me to
    do /tell tarabot chat.
    And so I did, and after that, I checked the list for "tarabot" biping,
    I double clicked it, and bang, I joined Tarabot. I asked my guild
    leader this, "I am totaly confused, what do I need to do??" I got
    a simple answer: "Ok I will explain it all to you" then I got
    another tell "where shoud I begin, hmm..." and I got the 3rd

tell, "You need to register, to join every raffle, that means that if
    you just join the bot while its at 20%, or Tarasque is dead... You
    can't come and enter raffles for the loot" I said "Wow, very
    smart... good thing". One more tell "The register number(s)
    depent on the zone of the camelot castle" Of course I didn't
    understand this so I asked; "What do you mean?" the guild
    leader said: "About what?"... "About the zone", he said "Well
    Camelot and other caves/areas have alot of zones, and these
    zones have numbers." I understanded this now, but not perfect,
    then he explained to me another thing "When we raffle, we make
    number to the item we raffle and enter '/tell tarabot raffle
    <number>'. Some time went and I got explained something else,
    now it was about alts... "Some of us, have alts in zones, to make
    another zone open." I was very confused, didn't understand, but
    didn't give a comment.(This might have sounded esay to
    understand, but for a newbie, it was a totaly other world). then I
    asked "Do I need alt to be logged in camelot?!" he said fast "no,
    we have enough at this time, but maybe later on" that same day
    I got more confused because camelot was full, well the zone we
    tryed zone into. Over 50 ppl waited outside, finally something
    was raffled, it was dragon boots and hpo, if I remember right. I
    didnt win. I sent tell to my guild leader, "How come I didn't have
    to do a damn thing to join a raffle or win?"... "Because the zone
    was over floded, and we couldn't enter the zone, but you shoud
    wait to omni's come, then the real action comes, its really fun
    then, but not hard normally with over 100 ppl spread around
    camelot castle, outside, and inside."... I was like "umm,
    ooooookkkeee". The time went, before I saw the face of omni
    come, while I became experniced, and very smart to Tarasque, I
    found out of alomst every detail, of tarabot. I was level 160. The
    day had come, where I wanted meet omni's, and fight them, but
    no omni came. I was level 168, now I won something, to tell the
    trueth, I didn't know what dragon armor it was, I showed the
    guild the piece, and they told me its the "Dragon chest" I
    said "REALLY?" I was very excited and HAPPY. The raid was
    finshed now I ran around tir, until I found someone who could
    make it, I couldn't yet wear it, sinces my Maritail-Artist skill wasn't
    high enough, but then I made my mind, so I wanted get MA buffs
    to get it on, and a wrangel. Then, when the buffs ran out it was
    OE, of course. I leveled once, 169, and raised Maritail-Artist skill
    up. From now on, I could self buff it on, with a MA buff. I had
    comed to tarasque 3 months without wining anything. I still
    came, I didn't whine. Let's go a while back, I joined
    Synergyfactor, at level 136 or something. I didn't know my guild
    leader Asmoran, was the fonder, and creater of Tarabot. When I
    found out a bit later or long time later, I was like totaly "Wow
    awesome. Cool.". I just want you to know, that I won every item
    ever, in Synergy factor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: No one rigged, or gave Synergyfactor higher CHANCE to win. - the problem with me was, that I went to Tarasque to much, some may say. Because of that, I won alot. Many of the other SF'ers(Members of Synergy Factor) we're there many times. Now comes the whiners into the picture. Well, what can I say, these whiners are those who we're there like 6 times, and expect to win on the first time. These ppl serious are saracastic. Serious, if they do things like that, they really are greddy sh** heads, who think they are the only ones desvering it. SF'ers might be more known with Tarasque because we read the forums instead of over-writing them like others. Many, many, many others, heard of our homepage, so that is not an excusse, because what they do is, they just look fast in the forum, without wanting to read all what Asmoran write about rules. I was thinking alot, what the hack would Asmoran make this kind of a GREAT-program, using days, using his free-time in Real life to help some dumb-greddy-geeks. What is there more to say? GREAT work Asmoran, I am very impresed, you we're never at the raids, well alomst never, and ppl still kept going to you, sending threads, insults. They shoud be a shamed. I would like to see them do the things you did, I understand you 100%, I would have taken it down for long time, if I was you. Great work asmoran, I really look up to you. Nice work.

Good luck, Aaron.

Best regrets,
    Jackiewow
    Last edited by Theonly-Jackie; Jan 15th, 2003 at 16:09:57.
    Clan can lose to Omni. But they will never kill our hope.

The 'FIGHT' must go on!

Jackiewow- Level 200 Doctor
    General of http://www.anarchy-online.com/org/stats/d/1/name/4892679

I rarely was able to go to cook the chicken (darn day job), but I have always respected what Asmoran was trying to do.

It sickens me that people had the gall to complain about an honest service, provided freely to allow them a chance to obtain items they otherwise wouldn't have a chance at.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Hehe, I remember helping Javas test out Tarabot when it was first implemented. Sad to see it go, but it goes for good reasons.

Thanks for the hard work Aaron and the admins who put up with the peoples BS, without them, there wouldn't have been Tarabot.

i remember helping test it too when we rolled for my love and i believe the first RIGGED came out from testing too when someone won my luv 3 times in a row :>

did a gj on the bot asmo too bad some people can never be happy with what they got i stopped going long time ago mostly because the only thing i won was a poker out of what the 8 or so months i went to tara and all the whining and afkers in the box had a little something to do with it

maybe it will go back to just us 10 or 15 clanners rushing the omni box and getting smeared time and time again like the old days before some people stood up and organized
    BettyRoss (A) dont ever turn yer back on a shady motha backstab4lyfe
    Gwend (A) The original complete healing engineer
    wtts :: prof ring quests

the "i dont need punctuation" army

Not unexpected really

I understand completely your decision, Aaron ... cya around
    Phelsior
    ::Retired NT::
    Reactivated after 7 years O.o

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast