Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Suggestion to up omni population

Originally posted by Vertego
    Hell, I can recall several tower battles where I would ask another defender for a buff, and was blaintantly ignored.
    ever think that people might be spammed with /tells when their towers are being attacked? Sometimes you have to ask numerous times for a buff before you can get it. People are sort of pre-occupied when at a battle.

So don't give me this crap about omni helping each other because it's a dream. There is maybe 5% of the omni population that doesn't have thier heads burried so far up thier rears that they actually lend a helping hand to anyone in need.
    Interesting perspective there. Just because you personally had bad luck getting assistance doesn't mean it is the norm. I've always found omni to be helpful and more willing to go that little extra effort sometimes needed to help someone that I have found clan. I got more help as a beginner omni than I ever did as a beginning clanner. And thus is why my clan character sits collecting dust.

And for the most part, if you're below lvl 150 in omni, you're no better then street trash.
    Uh....so not the case, especially now with NW. Lower levels are very important to the game and Omni, or at least those I assosicate with believe so.

But hey, you're going to believe what you want, as will anyone else that knows someone that went clan.
    Yep as are you. And as is clan that is bad mouthing omni runaways. They speak just as badly of folks that leave omni as those in omni. But as you said so succinctly, you'll believe what you are going to believe.

I think you're a fool if you think everything is rosy in omni land and that people come over because it's easier.
    I think if anything the posts above this one have showed that people do not think everything is rosy in omni land. There are problems and people will admit it. They are not, however, the ones you describe IMHO.
    Isadara level 214 NT AL 12 (Gear and Perks)-- Rimor
    Valdene level 197 Fixer (Gear and Perks) -- Rimor

General of Project Eden

You are one of the very few people that would help people Teuf, the majority of omni doesn't. Hell, I can recall several tower battles where I would ask another defender for a buff, and was blaintantly ignored. I can recount several times when I asked for help with something, the only people I could turn to where my friends when they where around. So don't give me this crap about omni helping each other because it's a dream. There is maybe 5% of the omni population that doesn't have thier heads burried so far up thier rears that they actually lend a helping hand to anyone in need. And for the most part, if you're below lvl 150 in omni, you're no better then street trash. But hey, you're going to believe what you want, as will anyone else that knows someone that went clan. So be it. But you are a blind fool if you think omni helps each other out.
    -Vertego
    wow interesting statements i've had toons on both factions and I can say bringing up lowbie toons the only difference I see is that TIR is a begging zone. Both Omni and Clan have refused to help me but quite a few have gone out of their way to help me.

When I first started I made a neut character cause I wanted to see what was going on in this world before I choose a side (not knowing that it would map gimp me (stupid funcom)). I spent a lot of time in the neut back yard trying to figure out how to kill a uber leet. Finally a level 59 omni came along and informed me I had a burst on my gun . 30 minutes of talking with him and I was omw leveling in the back yard. An omni fixer came in a bit later gave me a lv 5 SMG said don't worry about the cost just return the favor sometime.

I finally made it out of the back yard and was doing missions with a friend I met. While I was waiting for them to meet me A lv 60 Omni struck up a conversation with me. He asked me how I like the game offered me some advice and told me to get some armor . I told him I had only been able to make 5000 credits and didn't think that was enough for armor. Trade window opened up and 100000 credits was given to me. I was shocked and told him that was too much money to give he said well then catch up with me and pay me back when you can.

During all this time as a neutral I never had a clanner talk to me or offer help, that was enough for me to choose a faction and I am still an omni and always will be. I tried clan a few times just for a change but never enjoyed it and deleted those toons around lv 30.

I still go into the backyards in Rome Ent and Newland and Borealis and help new players out. I run a simple contest trade me a moster part and I will process it and give you a bio comm so you can process your own and make money. To date I have never charged for a wrangle or trade skill buff and dont' expect to get anything other then a thank you, on ocassion I am offered a tip and I accept with a thank you but tips arn't required. Will I refuse to buff someone? only if I am in a team getting ready to mission or in a mission. Recently I made the decision to stop doing all business with clanners up until that point they too were treated with the same helpfulness as others.

I am not the rare Omni I am more common then you give omni credit. To come here and say all but 5% of omni are selfish is simply not true. Perhaps to get a good perspective you should start a noob clanner under an anonymous name and see how much help you get.

I'm not going to bash you for changing side you felt you needed to do what you did and any bonuses or consiquences that are the result of that you have to live with. I do however take great offense to the remarks you made about the Omni population.

~aqua
    Last edited by Aqua; Jan 15th, 2003 at 21:39:39.
    Kappen Token Trader of Project EDEN LV 217 mind numbing grinding since 1948 well it just seems that long!!!!!

Playing a Trader is like cyber S&M

---------
    "if you dont die in mass pvp your not doing it right"

posted by Bionitrous

Playing Omni is like AO on the 'Hard' setting.
    Well, harder than playing clan, yes. But I think we still have to tip our hats to neutrals as far the "hard" setting goes.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

I have actually started a new toon and went clan to start with. Yes, maybe my experiances have been bad in omni, however I can only see things from the perspective of myself. However, I am 100% loving my new toon, and the side I chose to be on. Granted, I'm not as needy as I was in the past as I've pretty much become self sufficient in some more menial tasks, but none the less, I've recieved the help when I've asked for it.

Aqua, in reply to what you where saying, could I take an educated guess and say you are playing a female toon? If I'm wrong, then I appologize for my assumption, however, if I'm right, then I can point out many reasons why you recieved so much attention. Hell, to be honest, I made a female toon once, just because I had a character concept in mind and it called for a female toon. That character in all honesty recieved so much attention it was funny. High lvl toons wanting to help me and get to know me, until they found out I was truely a man playing from my end of the world. Now I'm sure that happens on clan too, but I don't play female characters anymore because I don't want that type of false attention. I'm not turning this game into a dating service, which alot of people have. To each thier own. But anyhow, I'm kinda tired defending my actions and motivations in joining clan. Have fun with the game, as I will be. See you omni on the battle field.

-Vertego

Yes, maybe my experiances have been bad in omni, however I
    You know... I think I remember the tower battle that you left because no one would buff you...

that was the battle where we were beginning to get organized and we were all told by the coordinating people (i believe it was littletza?) to no ask for buffs or teams... that it would be taken care of once they divided us up in teams and then everyone would get buffed at the same time.

even after we told you this several times, you continued to ask for buffs and eventually left because no one would buff you.

maybe my memory is faulty...

Aqua, Same story as me.

Neut to OT
    Vergil : OT NT : Dept of Applied Nanotechnology
    Jobe Plaza
    Retired NT Professional
    Proud Owner of RubiKa's Biggest Banjo Collection
    Server First!

Originally posted by Vergil
    Bad Guys?

I read the original manual, and thought that the clanners were paramilitary militias similar to those Crazy survivalist/white supremacist groups in certain parts of the USA. The fact that they were called "Clanners" didn't help. I'm from the midwest before moving, so I know how real militias try to present themselves as freedom fighters, etc.

Omni are unfortunately the bad guys, Vergil. Don't you remember the big black smoky auras that Funcom used to give Omni players who had Token boards? Clanners got auras of pure white light. Funcom took it out because they said it was too graphics intensive.

Personally, I loved walking around Tir with this malevolent black aura of evil while wearing a black OT uniform; especially in the midst of large groups of clan obscuring their vision. lol Anyways, I think the auras patch alone speaks volumes about the mindset of AO designers when it comes to Omni versus Clan.
    Last edited by Psiraven; Jan 16th, 2003 at 11:37:27.
    MP's should be FEARED.

Aqua, in reply to what you where saying, could I take an educated guess and say you are playing a female toon?

-Vertego
    Nope all my toons, except the ones I never intend on playing IE Mules, bots and banks, are male. All toons I never plan on playing are female. Just to set the record staight nothing will make me not want to help a person as much as seeing a lv 2 female toon running around in a g-string getup. I would be interested in seeing how your experience would be if you started a clan toon with no help from alts like your omni one started out.

~aqua
    Kappen Token Trader of Project EDEN LV 217 mind numbing grinding since 1948 well it just seems that long!!!!!

---------

Originally posted by Jaesic

You know... I think I remember the tower battle that you left because no one would buff you...

that was the battle where we were beginning to get organized and we were all told by the coordinating people (i believe it was littletza?) to no ask for buffs or teams... that it would be taken care of once they divided us up in teams and then everyone would get buffed at the same time.

even after we told you this several times, you continued to ask for buffs and eventually left because no one would buff you.

maybe my memory is faulty...
    Actually the instance I was refering too I ended up leaving by other means then my own powers. Gotta love those quick reclaim trips.

I have never left a battle because I couldn't get buffs to help keep me alive just that much longer. After all, if I can't survive off just what I'm capable of doing, then I shouldn't be in pvp to start with. But no, the funny thing is, the people that would ignore me are the same people that wanted me to join thier ranks when I aged just a little more.

But it's in the past. I've obviously put it behind me, as you all know, I no longer need to deal with those frusterations, I no longer call myself a brother among your ranks.

-Vertego

You want to be all high and mighty saying people go clan for the loot. Bull****. You want to point a finger, point it at yourselves for the higher then thou attitudes most of you posses.

-Vertego
    you know I was messing around on the forums and ran across this post from an omni less then a month ago thought you might like to read it Vertego.

"If Omni ever wants to muster for another Tara run on Rimur, shoot me a tell. Vertego is the name, being a NT is my claim. Been wanting to go see what the fuss was all about, however as I've heard it, omni have given up on Tara since all the omni loot hores went Clan.

Vertego"

Just remember to chew that crow slowly..

~aqua
    Last edited by Aqua; Jan 17th, 2003 at 17:11:48.

---------

LOL nice find there... always amusing to see people claim one thing then turn and do exactly what they were complaining about. Nothing is more sickening than hypocrisy ... well maybe finger-pointing holier than thou hypocrite feigning a standard that he can not or will not live by himself.
    Queen of the Ninjas

Slyyk - MUHAHAHA! Old Fixers never die, they just take a different grid exit.

Cosmik - And don't worry, Jorji. We've got FC love for everyone. It's stockpiled and going out the door.

Jorji's art page (some mature content )

zomg she finally got myspace lawls

BRAVO!!

BRAVO, Aqua!! Hopefully the combination of you discrediting the loudmouthed turncoat along with the silence we'll get out of him while he tries to pry his foot out of his mouth will convince any onlookers to immediately discredit his bitter ramblings.

Personally, I have had very very few complaints about the attitude and generosity of Omni. Teuf isn't the only one, although his generosity is broad enough to stand out and make a lasting impression. Regardless of profession or gender more and more Omni are offering aid and advice to other Omni (and even to neutrals and some clan when it is obvious they are somewhat new and need help). I can name at least 5 Omni off the top of my head who actually enjoy going to seek out noobs just to hand them a little advice and armor or credits. And as most of them are higher lvls and there is nothing such a noob could give to them personally in return, they ask only that the noob show the same kindness to another in need when the opportunity arises.

Not only that, but it has often been said that a majority of Omni organizations will take you in and give you a family-type environment, provide you with the means to acheive your own personal goals. If anyone believes that being below lvl 150 in Omni is like street trash, consider that what you have seen of lower levels scrambling to reach that lvl 150 mark is actually being inspired by a desire to be able to match any threat Clanners may have on Omni. Such a noticable rise should be evidence the members of Omni have made such an impact on them and created a bond which to so many, deserves such devotion and hard work. In turn, and in recognition of the loyalty and comradery being shown to them, Omni's higher level players gratefully give whatever aid they can to bring them up in lvls faster. To an outsider this may look like the ones who take their time at lower levels are being neglected, but (i can at least speak for those in my own org) the lower levels are just as important to us as those striving to reach 150+.

But I digress. I was sidetracked by the recent turn of this thread to why omni is better than clan and vise versa. The intended issue was the imbalance between the two. It does seem that FC has blatantly favored the clan side and rather than keeping their bias out of harm's way, they have baited players into choosing to become clan. *~*~ On a roleplaying level, if I were the leader of Omni and I saw such a disheartening ratio of omni:clan, but still had immense resources at my disposal... I would contact selected clan orgs and give them an offer they couldn't refuse if they would (or a percentage of them would) defect to Omni. *~*~ This would be a great twist in the storyline and provide enough clan with the incentive to switch to Omni, without the word 'nerf' ever being uttered. Whole orgs switching sides at a time would quickly even out the numbers and allow FC to focus on evening out the advantages of omni vs. clan as well.

Just a thought.
    Nox

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345