Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anarchy Online just game for the uber guilded?

I have no problem with people in the "uber" guilds getting bonuses from their mighty towers, so long as the item requirements don't go up so that only people in such guilds can use them.

The bonuses should make is easier to use the high end items with lower lvl chars. As most people in the uber guilds are power lvlers, this makes sense.

If I can't use a weapon at lvl200 because my guild does not have a lvl200-300 tower, or because I didn't buy NW, this is wrong.

The same goes for trade skills, if you need the bonuses from a 250 tower in order to make an item (so only people in uber guild make them) this is also wrong.

Re: Uber guilds/powergaming..

Originally posted by Habibus
    I look at it like this, I put more time into my character than someone who doens't play as much as I do.. I _SHOULD_ have better equipment, etc than a casual player. People that spend time camping, busting their butt to make their character the best that it can be should be rewarded with being alot better than a roleplayer that doesn't understand the game mechanics, etc as much as a powergamer. Don't like that you aren't in a uber guild? GASP! JOIN ONE! There are tons of guilds out there clan/omni that are more than capable of getting stuff done on their own, or hows about your little guild team up with a couple of other little guilds to kill one of the uniques? It's called social darwinism, that's like saying "But this guy that works 50 hours a week makes $3,000 a month whereas me working at McDonalds for minum wage and 7 hours a week makes $200 a month, it's not fair." You'd quit McDonalds and get a better job wouldn't you? I know I would, I wouldn't sit around feeling sorry myself and jealous of other people.
    Your idea of making the character the best that it can be is far different than what mine is. I bust my butt to make MY character the best she can be but it has little to do with loot and levels or towers. I am not jealous. If I wanted all those things I would go GET them. Don't like that I am not in an "uber" guild? I am a guild president; why the heck would I want to be in someone else's dream? I am hardly a casual gamer and have been here since launch (even a few days in beta). Levels are not a goal of mine anymore and they stopped being a goal a long, long time ago. Your idea that RPers don't know anything about game mechanics is simplistic at best. We just choose to focus our endeavors in other areas. It is people like you that would ditch your friends to get the next bit of loot or the next bigger tower. My sincere hope is that one day FC will wake up and there will be no Mobs to camp and they will all roam free with RANDOM respawn so "camping" becomes impossible.

As for towers....well....certain plots of land should be held by powerful guilds. I have no issues with that. My issues if you read what I wrote is people ditching their "friends" to join a guild that has a better tower or can give them better loots. That my freind...is plain greed. Wonder how you would feel if your Real Life friends ditched you becuase a rich new neighbor moved into town?
    Last edited by Vixentrox; Jan 10th, 2003 at 14:48:25.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Without the NoDrop flag, uber guilds could camp their uber spots, and then sell to soloers and roleplayers for mucho dinero. The Unique tag prevents the team from picking up multiples for resale.

The problem with that, is that there are people who play these games that derive huge enjoyment from being "elitely" equipped. They love the fact that they had to camp some huge-uber-elite monster to get huge uber-elite-item X, and that the vast majority of the players don't have it.

It's entirely possible to camp and kill every unique in the game with friends from many guilds.

As I said before, it's the NW skills budget and the upward trend of requirements to use any of the new items and nanos, that is going to drive people to join guilds with multiple high level bases.

This situation will tend to cement the position of the top guilds, because their competition - no matter how dedicated - can only progress to a certain point before having to attack and conquer high-level bases held by better-equipped rivals, merely in order to use the newest equipment after having camped it and beaten the unique boss encounter to acquire it.

And it's only going to be about the bases, not the ability to kill uniques.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

"Don't like that you aren't in a uber guild? GASP! JOIN ONE!"

Excellent fix for a problem. let's everyone band together!!

(Then again..its not much of a Fix if your like me and those..."Ub3r Guilds" Won't let you join....)

Improving yourself is one thing, but many people like in RL don't like ot make themselves a Slave or a Lemming to a Corporation/Guild/Club etc. One of the reasons many people play these types of games is because they wish to get away from things like that. They wish to be independant, not haveing to "Work" for some large orginization, froced to play by their Rules to survive.

Now im sure someone will give yet another tiresome rant about "They who spend so much time improving themseles shoudl benifit". Its tiresome but true. If you spend 10 hrs a day camping things you shoudl get a pat on the back and "Ub3r Lewt".

Many of us however...can not spend that much time Ingame, for we ahve family...jobs...that thing called responsibility. Im sure those who have those problems still canmake time and I knwo quite a few peopl who can only play 2 hrs a night,...and still end up with a advnaced developed character.

Mainly becasue they Joined a Uber Guild.....

Thne theres people like me.....I play....probabbly 6 hrs a night on average (depresing aint it). I only have 1 main above level 100. Been in a few fairly decent guilds. However..becasue I am not in one of the Few Ultra-guilds..I cant really have a chance at "Better Loot". Why? becasue I cant muster enough people together to outdamage 6 other teams at a Mob.

So whats my choice now that Im omni and guildless?? Whore myself out to some big bloated Uber guild to even get a chance at LOOKING at some powerfull mob?

I know its hard...but try to put yourself in the perspective of a person who cant for some reason join on of those "Uber guilds". Maybe then you can see how frustraiting it is.

Originally posted by Metalynx
    [B
    So whats my choice now that Im omni and guildless?? Whore myself out to some big bloated Uber guild to even get a chance at LOOKING at some powerfull mob?

I know its hard...but try to put yourself in the perspective of a person who cant for some reason join on of those "Uber guilds". Maybe then you can see how frustraiting it is. [/B]

Join the Clans
    Demarcus "Cellestron" Lindner
    Agent, ~Mjlonir~

Arrow

Join the Clans
    Convert my tokens
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

Wouldn't mind just logging on ingame doing something fun without gathering 15 so people do it :\

hang out with us more often
    Olivia "Haminie" Nguyen - Current Setup - 220 Doctor
    "Intrauterine" Device - Current Setup - 220 Shade

Haminie - Slightly less than twice as uber as Chanelle

To [Destromane]: I'm not a horrible player ;p
    [Destromane]: just a horrible person

It's called social darwinism, that's like saying "But this guy that works 50 hours a week makes $3,000 a month whereas me working at McDonalds for minum wage and 7 hours a week makes $200 a month, it's not fair." You'd quit McDonalds and get a better job wouldn't you? I know I would, I wouldn't sit around feeling sorry myself and jealous of other people
    Could not agree more with this comment. However, as this is a computer game people that play it casually seem to expect to have same advantages then those who power play. I don't think it would be fair to those who work hard tweaking their characters day-in-day out. If you have a real life that conflicts a lot with your gaming, don't every expect to be as good as somebody else that spends endless hours with gaming. This thing does not only apply to AO, but for most online games there are.

Originally posted by Vixentrox
    Most active RPers do not sit and sit shout "omni-scum" all day. At least not in my experience.
    Most 'active RPers' get thrown on my ignore list when they send me a page of harassment and hate tells for testing weapons on guards. At least in almost every non-rp'ers experience who hangs out in West Athen.

Concerning 'uber guild' comment and/or the ability to get loot i feel there is a line that must be drawn, though. I see some threads and hear some talk every now and then, between two guilds of the same alignment, hearing rumors about them attacking each other's bases because of some ace camp incident or the like. The guild i'm in is i think the 5th largest or something like that on RK1 (atleast thats what i heard). We've managed to get our members some really nice things like hellfury upgrades, eqb, PoP (thanks to storm on that one) etc (even some of these same items for people from allied guilds) and managed to not piss other people off. There's definately a factor of greed thats identifiable when the possibility of getting these items without causing trouble is disregarded...I don't really consider my guild a 'loot' guild either, just a group of friends and i can see how the need for the new items to compete with other people can actually impact other people emotionally sometimes. It's also very easy to see, most of the time, the people who ditch their friends for uber loot. There's a certain attitude that sticks out, and also there's debris from that explosion, being the friends who got turned down are gonna have something to say about it later.

Also habibus, 'social darwinism' is the WAYYY wrong word for that description.

Edit:

"Your idea that RPers don't know anything about game mechanics is simplistic at best."

Ethically speaking maybe, but from someone who pvp's on a somewhat daily basis, i can tell you the best players in this area in this game do not roleplay at all. Most think its stupid, or just ignore it altogether. Most dicussions ive had about game mechanics - mobs, evades, damage rolls, etc...Were not with roleplayers. I truly don't think ill be able to have one with a roleplayer because there's always going to be that communication block of a *completely* different state of mind/thought and game preference.
    Last edited by Stromm; Jan 14th, 2003 at 06:32:30.
    "A man is someone who has a cause he's willing to fight for and has a woman in his life he'll do anything to protect."
    -SDI Ssgt. Port, USMC, MCRD Parris Island S.C.

Experienced Stars "Stromm" Nstripes - Retired

Fun stuff: 1 2 3 4 (NEW!!)

Originally posted by North

Could not agree more with this comment. However, as this is a computer game people that play it casually seem to expect to have same advantages then those who power play. I don't think it would be fair to those who work hard tweaking their characters day-in-day out. If you have a real life that conflicts a lot with your gaming, don't every expect to be as good as somebody else that spends endless hours with gaming. This thing does not only apply to AO, but for most online games there are.
    Hit the nail on the head. A principle of all mmorpg's is more work = more reward.
    "A man is someone who has a cause he's willing to fight for and has a woman in his life he'll do anything to protect."
    -SDI Ssgt. Port, USMC, MCRD Parris Island S.C.

Experienced Stars "Stromm" Nstripes - Retired

Fun stuff: 1 2 3 4 (NEW!!)

my problem is that it doesnt take work to get what you want really. it takes.. well i'm not sure.

when i was in The Council, you should have seen it, on our forums we had a list of who gets what, everyone was on a list for dragon chest, HPO, Globe of sufferance, every uber item in the game at the time. and we got ALOT of that stuff.... ALOT.

that was fun, while it lasted.. however it is not fun for those who have very little chance of ever being in a guild like the council or storm.. or todays incarnations of these types of guilds.

anyways, what I am saying is that I would like it if people could work to get stuff, like if a Fixer wants GA4 he works his ass off for a long time running anima missions to save the 600mil to get one, because there is a very good chance it will come up for sale eventually.

but myself, if i want a Augmented hellspinner gun, i cannot buy this, and the odds of me ever getting one are incredibly slim.. only a lucky few will ever get one because my guild cannot kill this mob and who has the guts to ask 10 high level freinds to help him for 5-30 hours to get one item where they get nothing out of it but thier time wasted?

if i could save up and buy some items, or quest them that would be really nice, dont make it easy but make it possible with hard work and dedication.

if there was a contained anti-matter generator in the superior store for 600 million credits, id have it in 3 weeks or less : P
    Legion

|| 220 || || Soldier || || Obligatory Equipment listing ||

If you are going through hell, keep going.
    -
    Sir Winston Churchill

I don't entirely agree, Stromm, though I do in part. I actually think that there is a very, very small group of people who really have a good grasp of the game mechanics and understand the why of things, compared to the playerbase at large.

I think there is a much larger group of people who think, "big numbers = uber. Uber = good" and strive to maximize the numbers that people in the first group told them will make them uber, without really understanding the equations that make it so. They won't admit to not understanding, though.

Your social circle probably includes many people who understand the mechanics, and a lot more acquaintances who don't understand it, but pretend they do while imitating the first group. I'm making assumptions here, so correct me if I'm wrong

But this is common to most online games - there's a few people who figure it out, they tell others. The others don't really understand, but they think, "ooh, uber" and imitate. If engaged in conversation about it, they often know enough not to look like idiots, but they still don't really understand the "whys."

Edit: To get this sorta-back on topic. Many RPers are "perpetual newbies" when it comes to mechanics, and when it comes to level, often by choice - they "could be" imitators if they wanted. Many others are just as informed as the imitators, and a few really do understand and have knowledge.

But your contact with RPers is probably limited to the first group, since the second two groups tend to adopt more live-and-let-live attitudes towards non-RP players.
    Last edited by Jynne; Jan 14th, 2003 at 17:47:05.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

There is a nice bonus from doing this stuff with guildmates a friends because there is always stupid people who tend to come along and ninjas stuff that really belongs to the people who either won a raffle or earned the kill.

The fact that ninja looters who confess to the crime do not get punished is a travesty. It shows something is wrong with the game mechanics themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12