Thread: CZ on Pet Pathing, and the life as a MP

Angry CZ on Pet Pathing, and the life as a MP

Quote from CZ's recent post:

We’ve had suggestions for both a chat command and nano program for warping the pet to the owner. This is currently not considered a viable solution to the pathing, as it would be a ‘hack’ in the code, or we would have to allocate so much time to it that it would affect the work on the pathing itself.
    You have ALREADY made the Heal Pet AUTOwarp. The demon and other attack pets, NO. I guess the Heal Pets ability to warp to me 95% of the time is not a "hack" in the code as you so un-elegantly say it?

Do you REALLY, and i mean REALLY think CZ, that they will be able to code theyr way out of a Pet that acts like this?:

1. Misses a Open door, and runs into the wall right next to it ALL THE TIME? Looks utterly rediculous, and IS even more rediculous.

2. Goes into Attack Mode, but just stand there doing NOTHING, OUTDOOR and INDOOR, even with NO obstacles hindering him, ALL THE TIME? This can only be fixed by running up next to him and press BEHIND, BEHIND, BEHIND AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaarrgh...

3. Paths worse than my Grandma on Crouches on a Icy Street with a 20% slope? I mean... sheesh.. The attack pet gets a order to attack, calculates a STRAIGHT LINE to the mob, and runs straight into the wall, just keeps standing there, or, the few times it half-way know that it has to take a little turn to get there, runs into, as I said, the wall.. Just to the left.. Of.. that.. little.. HOLE CALLLLED AA DOOOOR !

4. Just dissapears.. Dont know where? Back to the Metaphysical World? Still it has to be cancelled to make a new one.

Just when I tought it couldn't be worse, you put millions of NPC pets into missions, and the attack pet goes bananas on them. Ok, sure demon, some NPC pet aggroed you 15 rooms back? Just stay there and finish it up the next 10 minutes. You wouldn't be able to follow me through the mission anyway.

This so called "PATHING CODE" is so baked into the millions of code in this game, that I have a really hard time believing that someone ever, ever, ever will be able to half-way fix it. Just give up. I can see on how the pets behave sometimes, that this is nothing that can be MENDED. It must be coded ALL OVER.

Do the pathing right in your next MMORPG (yeah sure), and give us a WARP, or "hack" the attack pet like you DID with the Heal Pet, and makes the lifes of so many GIMPED, FORGOTTEN, and ANGRY MP's MUCH better on a daily basis, and save a few bucks, by us not quitting.

Also, take a trip into the MP's section of this board. The morale has never been lower in any Profession Thread anytime, ever, since this game was released. Read the posts there. Some of us have a unreal patience, and still hang around. However there's fewer and fewer of us every day.

Next Topic Please !" Ok here it comes:

How am I going to be able to contribute with killing all the uber unique mobs that have appeared in the game recently?

Demon has BIG TROUBLE hitting the lowest Team Mission Bosses, and has NIL chance to hit ANY of the uber unique bosses that are so popular to kill these days. On these raids, im as always degraded to a: MOCHAM DISPENSER ! TM. Pull my arm, receive a Buff. Thats it.. I feel so worthless as a MP its a shame. Oh I forgot... Sometimes I put my heal pet on the Tank. That adds a tiny bit HP on top of the Doctors 10001 heals. Thats me. A dispenser. With my blue weapon skills, sure.. I hit the mobs 1 out of 10 shots. Fun.

I advice you to either: Fix the MP profession or remove it as a profession altogether, and put up real Mocham Dispensers all over Rubi-KA. They wont complain much.

Evocations you say? LOL..

Pet Pathing

How about a pet warp nano that you get at an early lvl. If in the same play area, not engaged/aggro, can warp pet directly to you. Since the reason pet pathing fails is mainly due to programming unable to properly path from one point to the next, a warp nano would correct it. It should cost very little to do so and be available early in the career at the store for not much credits.

Agree. They refuse to give us a Tool, that would ease the everyday life of EVERY MP by a TON, by simply give us a warp Command/Nano. This would take them very little time do, as its already coded, the warp function only needs a Command/Nano attached to it.

They refuse because of a stupid principle of not fixing the problem by "avoiding/hacking(lol??)" it. Well I DONT CARE. I want to be able to play while they scratch theyr heads, wondering how to fix pet pathing for YEARS (Yes the game, and the pet pathing problem is older than a year), making our life miserable for a MUCH longer time than needed.(probably forever)

The warp function would not interfer with believability either since it IS a metaphysical pet already, which very well could be able to teleport to us.

Don't forget the Crats and Engineers out there. (There are way less Crats than Engineers or MPs btw). Pet pathing concerns everyone.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

FC worry a lot about exploits with /pet warp. To some extent I can see where they're coming from - warping the pet out of combat when it's in trouble, for instance.

What about a /pet control command? Very straightforward, just set it up so that it switches your movement keys from controlling your avatar to controlling your pet. To prevent exploits, first person view should still show you what your avatar can see, not what the pet can see, and the camera in 3rd should still be centred on the pet user. Targeting should still depend on the character, not the pet etc. No seeing through the pet's eyes, in other words.

As far as I can see, it's a non-exploitable workaround. You can't use /pet control to simply drive the pet through a mission while the character stands safely in the entrance room, because you can't see where it's going, you can't target and you can't attack with it. If the pet's rooted, it's rooted. If the pet's slowed, it's slowed. All this would do is allow you to manually free your pet if he's stuck.

Comments?

~R~

Well....not really

Meister well met. The pet pathing concerns us all. We as pet professions need work to be done. The problem MP's have is that why'll The crats and Engie recieved pets buffs that help improved your pets..MP's paled far in comparison. Also Engie and Crats have 'other' ways to make up for there pets attacks or lack of when they go missing. Mp's well you know the story.

And by the by..Engies on the latest play charts have come up. Mp's Traders !?!? and Crats are lowest prof's played. Mp's if you notice have been on a steady decline. This of course is at the higher lv's..130+
    Shadow Lv 13 Deity. Mp Warrior.
    I am The Master of Shadows. I am here to help you...
    We are L E G I O N for we are many.

Teh Layout

“One should be as humble as the dust he treads upon...
    But do not mistake my Humbleness as Weakness.”

The light battles the darkness.Who we are decides which side will prevail.

Re: Well....not really

Originally posted by Shadowzar
    Also Engie ... have 'other' ways to make up for there pets attacks or lack of when they go missing.
    We do? What would these be then? All I've got is a pistol...

Cheers,

~R~

This is currently not considered a viable solution to the pathing, as it would be a ‘hack’ in the code ...
    WHAT?!

Hacks aren't considered 'viable' solutions by Funcom?

Kymaene wonders what she's been playing all this time ...

Kymmie

Crats indeed do have other tools to mitigate the problem.

Engi's and MP's got nothing but their pets. Sure, engi can at high lvl turn into a mini-me slayer and wreak havok ... but still not as much if pet was there.

MP's seem the most vocal, I think because in most cases, they get the pat pathing problems 2 -3 times worse. MP's all about pets. 3 pets up, 3 pathing problems. Occasionally the heal pet will warp to the mp, but the attack pet and broken-mez pet (if up) still get stuck all over the place.

Pathing, to work properly should be an invisaible set of lines in a mission. one point connecting to the other. a matrics if you will, the lines acting like railroad lines. they follow specifically on the line. but that would make everything look unrealistic... so instead, you got what funcom has ... a algorithim of sorts... that is broken. Perhaps meshing the two will prove fruitful if a mob is told to movve, and it doesn't, have it hitch a ride on a nearby line untill its moving again, delay 2 seconds and release.

not that it matters heh... know the feasability or if these forums even read ...
    Silinar: 104 Meta-physicist. Elite Operations.

“Man may never understand what we have done. But God will.” ~ George McKinney

Hello everyone. I am back playing after playing Beta and the first month of retail. I just wanted to say in regards to the horrible coding that makes up this game, if they have not fixed it in 17 months, then they never will. They either cannot or do not want too. I came back because I read better reviews about the game but they must have been written by Funcom. This game does have some interesting things but for the most part it lacks in every area compared to the other "big" MMORPG's. Just my 2 cents. Shame cause pet classes are fun to play but fairly useless in the grand scheme (oh wait there is no grand scheme in AO..hehe).

Stay safe all.

Ah well.. I look forward to when pet pathing gets a fix. Then my pets will reach the mobs they rarely land a hit on anyway.

Even with the q140 and q170 Evocations the pets are there more for the visual entertainment than, acutally fighting/damaging a opponent.

I curse the day I started a MP.

- - - Godt Nyttår - - -
    Last edited by Balderac; Jan 10th, 2003 at 12:14:43.