Thread: 24hr Gas cycle! BOO!!!!

Angry 24hr Gas cycle! BOO!!!!

/rant on

I am not a happy camper!

I joined a guild for the first time couple of days ago, threw up a couple of towers and really feeling welcomed, and thought, hey, this guild lark isn't half bad and land control - i like it..

So, wondering when I get to defend the bases and bond with my new guildies, and a sinking feeling hit me reading these forums - 18hrs @ 100%.. 5hrs @ 25%.. 1 hr @ 5% (or whatever the frell it is) - adds up to 24hrs is my point.. my guild's base is attackable at some godforsaken hour in the morning, just before the sun comes up and im dragging my arse off to work - I will never be there to defend it!!! I work full time - my all-nighters are pretty rare nowadays (cos it takes me a whole flippin week to 'recover'..).. just ain't gonna happen.

So... what? I have to find a guild within my 'time zone'?? But I don't want to leave - why the feck should I based on time zones?! So I resign myself to sneaking onto the site when I get into work to check to see if the bases are still standing.. not that I can do a flippin thing about it if they're not..

Please someone tell me I'm wrong and being a complete idiot..

Or failing that, why it's a bad idea to have cycles of 23hrs, or 25hrs, or 20hrs - just something so that one day I'll actually be of some use to my guild in protecting our base..

I know, I know, timing should be considered when setting up a base, but what about new members..'ooo sorry no, we'd love to have you, but - wrong time-zone, sorry..', and it's only a game, yada yada, but it just strikes me as jolly unfair! dammit!

Hmmpfff!

/rant off
    The nature of monkey is irrepressible.
    Silq ~ Barabajagal ~ Ubik ~ Steampunk ~ Fleshwoman & others

Wow! Someone actually WANTS a lag fest

Not a flame, just bemusement. Very cool to see someone so enthusiastic actually!

All you have to do is some very basic war mongering, because if your org attacks a different org (preferrably on the enemy side!) then your orgs towers (all of them, including yours) becomes instantly attackable.

Buy a shield disabler from the tower shop, and you should be defending your towers at your own leisure in no time.

Just don't cry if it back fires...
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

if you put towers on a 23/25 hour cycle you will have to have all times zones in your org to be abel to defend a tower. that's not fair eather.

Hah, a cunning plan Rev (im that indignant I can't sleep ).. but not really what I'm growling about...

I don't really *want* to get into a ruck (never done PvP - not my thing, team play is where I'm at), but I would like the opportunity to realistically be able to help my guild and defend the base *if* it comes under attack, without having to re-arrange my life to do it...

I have no choice really atm.. no control and no part in whether my towers and those of the others in my guild get smashed - I will find out about it later.. I'm at the right level to defend the base against an attack, and i *think* (could be wrong) I'm the only doc in the guild that is - and I can't be there when they might need me most - that kinda sucks..

Sure, that will make for a brief period where you *could* get attacked.

However, the probelm is still there -- when your base goes into "war" mode it does not affect the timer for the other modes. The base will still go 25% at the same time every day and there is nothing you can do to change that except take it down and put it back up again.

I agree that this is extremely silly since it makes it more difficult for some bases to be attacked and some are easier -- for no reason other than time of placement.

A 22-23 or 25 hour clock would be much more appropriate.

Originally posted by Illith
    if you put towers on a 23/25 hour cycle you will have to have all times zones in your org to be abel to defend a tower. that's not fair eather.
    Not so... (or maybe it is and it's so late my brain's not working).. if it's on say a 23 hour cycle it would still take a few days (wks? I'll do the maths tomorrow..) before it would be in my 'peak' time zone; the time I, and those ppl 2 hrs ahead and behind, would normally play - at which time there will then be others in my guild who would normally be sleeping (I assume they do ) so the members of the guild able to defend the base would rotate..

I could see it might be unfair if you do in fact have a guild which is one nationality only, like a French-only guild say, as there would come a time when no-one is around to defend....

hmm... i guess it would be uber complicated to be able to choose a cycle, pfft, well ill be one of the un-pleased ones if we can't please everyone i guess..

Im running a scandinavian only guild... We are all in the same time-zone, and we are very happy that the cycle is 24 hours, as we then have the chance to defend our towers... if it were any different, we would only be able to defend our towers 1/3 or less of the times, because no more than 10 people would be online, maybe only 2 would be online at some times then...

Id guess u can say we are lucky to be based on 1 time zone only, but it does have its drawbacks, like with the uniques they are on 18 hour spawn, so we cant participate or camp them very often... Thats were the guilds like urs are best...
    Jamesdum President of Ragnarok
    Jamespond Member of Ragnarok
    Jamespond2 Member of Ragnarok

Want to join Ragnarok?

Quote on BrutalThug
    Because we have spy's in EVERYONE's guild so we can plan the attack while you sleep !! yeah ! hmm we clearly need to rename the guild to "nordic echelon"

Originally posted by Silq

I don't really *want* to get into a ruck (never done PvP - not my thing, team play is where I'm at), but I would like the opportunity to realistically be able to help my guild and defend the base *if* it comes under attack, without having to re-arrange my life to do it...

Way the cookie crumbles then, I'm afraid.

Then again, playing Clan on Rimor I wouldn't worry too much about defense issues, unless it's a small base and far away (like several zones) from grid or whompa, the odds are that a LOT of Clanners will show up to defend it for you.

And omnis still aren't very good at the attack either.

Then all you have to to return the favor at your leisure is to help someone else defend their base from attack when you are actually online.

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

Silq, I don't think there is a good way to address your issue. The players in my guild are spread out geographically. The ones on the west coast of the U.S. only rarely see the ones from Europe, for instance. So it's very unlikely that all guild members will be on at the same time to defend our bases.

In your case, the base could be built at such a time that would be convenient for you to defend it. However, that would leave out your other guild members.

I recognize the issue you've raised, I just don't see it as being withing FunCom's power to do anything about it. We'd have to change all countries world wide so that everyone gets up and goes to bed at the same time or something silly like that. Just not gonna happen.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Originally posted by Hypos
    We'd have to change all countries world wide so that everyone gets up and goes to bed at the same time or something silly like that..
    Great idea! I vote we all move to the Ilse of Wight (apparently we'd all fit.. and and if the whole world jump at exactly the same moment, we could actually knock the earth out of orbit.. how cool is that?! But I'm going off at a tangent here ... *groan* )

Well, on a serious note, you and Rev are right Hypo, I have to wear it - and like Rev said defend other clan bases when I am on-line. Feel a bit better having had a good moan anyways... I'm always gonna feel a little like I'm missing out a bit tho, it's a pity any guild members have to miss out, we should all get the buzz of a call-to-arms I'll still be there for any war-mongering that goes on I guess, so i'll hush up now, had my whinge and made my point - put a sock in it Silq

I think it's vital to remember the priorities that should prevail in NW:

1st: It's Clan against Omni. The xp bonus means you lvl faster, which is good for everyone on that side.

2nd: It's Org against Org. You want to keep that base, to keep your buffs and your org advantages, or you want to take that base, so that your org can have buffs and advantages.

3rd: It's Player versus Player. In order to keep or get what you want, you need to take out the other player.

I know it's frustrating to not be able to defend your orgs base, but if you protect others bases they will protect yours.

No, I'm not back.

I think it would be nice if we could force our bases to cycle to 25% to change the cycle time. Some times you have no choice in when you place your tower and it might not be a good time for your guild. Would be nice if you could target the controller and do a /tower cycle and the base would drop to 25% and start its 5 hour cycle.

~aqua
    Kappen Token Trader of Project EDEN LV 217 mind numbing grinding since 1948 well it just seems that long!!!!!

Playing a Trader is like cyber S&M

---------
    "if you dont die in mass pvp your not doing it right"

Yeah, the ability to force-change cycle times would be great. But it would have to immediately drop to 25% to prevent exploiting, and would need to be limited to the top rank or two of an org.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Originally posted by Silq

Great idea! I vote we all move to the Ilse of Wight (apparently we'd all fit.. and and if the whole world jump at exactly the same moment, we could actually knock the earth out of orbit.. how cool is that?! But I'm going off at a tangent here ... *groan* )

Well, on a serious note, you and Rev are right Hypo, I have to wear it - and like Rev said defend other clan bases when I am on-line. Feel a bit better having had a good moan anyways... I'm always gonna feel a little like I'm missing out a bit tho, it's a pity any guild members have to miss out, we should all get the buzz of a call-to-arms I'll still be there for any war-mongering that goes on I guess, so i'll hush up now, had my whinge and made my point - put a sock in it Silq
    Actually what I suggest is that you approach your org leaders about recruiting more people into the org that play around your timeframe. Get enough to reasonably defend the base and then go knock down someone's base that's a higher QL than the one in your range (if possible). Put up new set of better towers in a better time frame.

That's how orgs expand. Nordic Fusion, for example, being all Scandanavian has a weakness: they can be overwhelmed by attacks if they try to establish too many bases. So they have to limit their bonuses by maintaining fewer bases or face the very real possibility of getting attacked at every base, stretching themselves too thin to respond. The way to get beyond that weakness is to recruit people into the org that do play at a different time and give them a base to defend.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio