Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Give all profs a self grid?

Heh forgot about the fact that enfs tanks better, its their thing, they should tank better than a fixer
    Neophyte Sun "Okkra" Tzu
    Fresman Sacre "Norange" Bleu
    Apprentice Deus "Chillout" Vult

Server First: Level 200 Shade kill.

Thanks for stealing all my tradeable phatz.

To all you who say give us a grid nano, just be glad you got acces to the grid in the first place and leave it at that!
    Alvador Proud member of [url=http://www.nanoclan.com]Storm

Soldiers do a lot more damage than fixers at the high-end, especially once they can either equip dual RCL or their level-locked profession specific weapons (boosted/augmenteds).

At low levels, I recall soldiers doing better than me, but that was before the suppressor buffs were added, which made a big difference - I was ~level 70 when those were added, and didn't start out-damaging soldiers until around 100 when Supreme Suppressor unlocked for me.

So, if you're in the level range from about 100-150, Okkra, fixers may do better damage than you.

However, after that soldiers have a LOT of high-damage options that fixers really don't.

Part of the problem is that soldiers got screwed on your new weapons nanos. As far as I'm concerned, Art of Peace is missing a 1 - it should have been +170 to AR, and there should have been a couple more to fill in the gaps.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Hmmmmm...

Originally posted by lilnymph
    Firstly sorry about the spoilt child comment, I had hoped my smiley face would have shown I wasn't being serious. Secondly I would never tell anyone to roll one of the uber profs, after all did have a fixer for a very long time before they became "uber".

Now I also understand that alot of profs need a boost in various things, and I fully support it. What I can't and wont ever support is profs being given others unique abilities. There is no need for it and it DOES take away from the other proffesion, wether you like it or not. When fixers where gimps, we suggested ALOT of ideas on how to improve us, but in general we stayed away from anything that was too similar to another profs area of expertise, why can't you be the same? I would fully support and argue alongside you if you where asking for things that made sense for your classes, and didn't take anythign away from anyone else, but you are not doing this, you are just asking for others abilities to be handed to you.

hugs

lilnymph
    Ok, I still don't agree that it would indeed take away from others unique abilities, especially when they aren't actually unique. If someone was suggesting making the fgrid public property I'd be up there on the barricades with you Lil, using my mighty Flame Spout to roast the attackers (ack! it's lvl locked!), but I don't see it at all with the normal grid. I really don't, and I'm afraid we're just going to have to disagree to disagree on this one.

However, this is now, in my mind at least, totally moot, because in her response (and yes, that smiley did change your previous post a bit) Lil makes an EXTREMELY good point!

Why just mimic? Why not come up with something unique? Why indeed do what everyone else does? And what an extreme satisfaction it would be, to think up and add somthing new to the game!

Thank you, Lil! You have opened my eyes to a better way, and now I have to put my thinking cap on to think of some way of transport that doesn't even resemble the grid in any way, nor warp or whompa either.

The odds are worse than GA4 for it to be actually implemented, but it should be really satisfying to see if I (or indeed any others, but start another thread if you do please, I'll do the same) can indeed think of something.
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

FFS just give everyone a grid nano with a huge cast time...after 150 teams consist of whoever answers first on guild chat no need for docs, traders or fixers its first come first serve...either do this or put exits in missions and make it so when I'm in the middle of nowhere I can click my fingers and make a random fixer warp to my location and grid me out

Envy is a Deadly Sin.
    Bret 'Bothead' Bannister
    Member of Rising Phoenix

I haven't seen it mentioned, but there is a new item in the 14.8 database that does let you access the grid by right-clicking on it. Of course, it's NODROP SPECIAL status will probably mean that it comes from an über mob that will require 30 people, an air strike and a small tactical nuke to take out - but it's there.

My tone is a direct reflection of your attitude.

220 Wiseguy - Bureaucrat
    ... and a bevy of underequipped 220's

Account Created 16 July 2001

giving grid capability to those that don't already have it... Umm. NO!!

I admit I haven't read all posts in this thread, but after reading the 2 first pages I figure I post my take on this.

Some claim that giving a grid type nano to all professions will not damage those professions that have it? Maybe true.

Some are happy if it is a slow one as long as they get it. And the reason they want it? Because they do missions far form a Whompa/grid terminal and are in danger of being attacked and lose their XP.

Well... as I see it thats a risk you take when you pick a mission.
    At low levels you can pull missions that are in or around the location you pick the missions from. As you gain levels more areas open up to you. Exactly how this works, if it is level based only or if the sliders affect this as well I dont know.

But the fact is. you as the mission picker are free to make the choice if you want to do the mission or not.

There are some very nice worldmaps you can upload that will tell you where the mission location is in relation to the nearest gridterminal/whompa. Also what faction that whompa have (IE if it is in a neut/ot/clan area)

So asking for a grid nano because you dont want to make the trek back from the mission is not a valid reason. In fact... there are no valid reason.

It would be like having a HP buff nano for those races (not proffessions) but races that have a frail body, simply because it is more convenient for them so they dont have to use first aids or their profession specific heal programs (if they have any) as much.

From the moment that FC sat down and started to discuss AO and the various professions they had a clear view of how they wanted each profession to be. We and FC knows that it didnt happen that way for various reason.

But FC are doing a few things to keep the professions a bit varied. By providing a way to teleport for all they make that distinction of the various professions less.

I got a enf at level 50. I wish he had a heal nano, but he doesn't. He is stuck to use First aid in fights and then sit and heal between fights. But what he does have is a nice HP nano that makes him able to take more hits.

I dont wish for other professions to have that nano.

There are some cross over profession nanos that bothers me. I will not list them here, or even make this into a discussion about them. That is not why I replied.

Those that play a profession that dont have a nano they wish they had, pick a profession that have said nano. If you want more nanos.... play agent. They are the ones with nice access to many nanos.

I know that agents get a penalty for using other profession nanos, but it is still a nice buffer to have access to them

So in conclusion... NO more professions specific nanos to those professions that shouldn't have them.

Read the statement on your professions. Even if it is not 100% accurate, there should still be enough left of that to give you a clear idea of what the limits of that profession is when you roll it.
    General Thoram of the Twin Sun Syndicate

In 14.8 There is item (you read right, ITEM) that allows instant? trip to grid.

Downside is that it locks your comp lit skill for 14400 seconds which is reasonably long time (~4 hours) and after that you can only use tower exit or emergency exit (which require no skill).

Still... I dont like that

Zarch and da chars

Originally posted by Seraphael
    Here is my delayed christmas wishlist;

1. TMS/NS for all.
    2. Rage for all.
    3. Init debuffs for all.
    4. Divest/Plunder for all.
    5. Nukes for all.
    6. CH for all.

Did I forget anything? Oh yes peace of earth
    7. Calms for all
    8. Charms for all
    9. Slayerdroid transference for MAs(ok, for all)
    10.moochies for all
    11.fixer-killer-nukes for all
    12.all green skills for all
    13.all green abilities for all
    14.+1k damageshield for all
    15.+30k HPbuffs for all
    16.a box where you can eter your desired lvl at character creation for all

screw the last ones after 12

Hehe! I was initially all for 'grid for the masses' (see previous posts) until Lilnymph made me realize that un-originality and copy-catting shouldn't be rewarded.

I therefore said I would try to make a NEW way of travel, or mode of transportation, and I believe I did manage to find a new way for Engies to get around.

I thought however that 'Next Patch' was the wrong forum to post my idea in, so I posted it in 'Suggestions' instead, under the title

"A New To Travel: Waldram's Stutter Warp"

Check it out if you like to see something new(ish).

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

Ok, I'm going to try to explain the logic in the professions getting grid nanos (if it's possible). A * will indicate if they already have it, a + if they should, and a - if they shouldnt....in my opinion..

Code:
    -Adventurer       | Masters of the terrain with...grid?
    -Agent            | Secret agents..who needs warps 
                      | when you're stealth?
    ~Bureaucrat       | ~Meaning maybe...so they can get to 
                      | meetings faster?
    *Doctor           | WTF?? WHY do docs have grid warps?
    -Enforcer         | Enfs with their awesome nano 
                      | technology skills?
    +Engineer         | Christ, atleast make an ITEM for grid.
                      | We hax0r satelites and warp people to
                      | us, why can't we hax and warp outselves
                      | to grid?
    *Fixer            | MASTERS OF GRID.
    -Martial Artist   | Concentrate and your inner strength will
                      | uh, warp you somewhere
    +Meta-Physicist   | I don't remember if they do, but they 
                      | ARE nanosluts :D
    *Nano-Technician  | Maybe not a grid warp but a warp to 2
                      | (maybe 3?) cities on their side
    -Soldier          | Someone explain to me how this would 
                      | make sense?
    *Trader           | Uhh..time to be leniant, so they can
                      | .. TRADE faster?

any comments?

[edit] it was too wide, fuxed up the forum look :P
    Last edited by Seppubot; Jan 11th, 2003 at 19:21:52.
    /tell Numeric

--:o IS NOT .
    [Khaln]: it's teh small and soft
    [Khaln]: BUT
    [Khaln]: I need teh large and hard

*bumps for the self grid for soldiers * a 90 second cast for it certainly doesnt give it the same advantages as a fixer who can grid out of any situation in 6 seconds. No flames please, just my thoughts

Yes I will never pick a fixer, trader, doc for my team again if I got a selfgrid. NEVER.
    LOL was actually suprised that I could write that wo laughing my ass off.

Cuz you pick the team and thinks about how you are going to leave the mission.... anyone?
    It is quite obvious that you dont think about how you are going to get to 100%, its the exit that counts.

=P
    Neophyte Sun "Okkra" Tzu
    Fresman Sacre "Norange" Bleu
    Apprentice Deus "Chillout" Vult

Server First: Level 200 Shade kill.

Thanks for stealing all my tradeable phatz.

Aaaaah finally I'm donne reading the entire tread, and can write my oppinion. I'm all for this idea. make a general nano, lvl reqs if you want to... put it at 125 or so. Having to run/fly for 1/2 hour to 1 hour just to get back from a mission in the wild, is crazy as crazy gets. It won't take anything unique from anyone.

Is there more then 1 class that use grid? yes
    Are there more then one class that can remotely enter the grid? yes!

Then how can this be unique? The grid is open to anyone, and anyone should be able to enter it without standing at a terminal. Exept maybe atroxes, that would be an interesting turn of the game I think. A nano that is not profession based, but breed based.

Last idea just flipped into my head, bear with me with all the typos and crazy things I write, it's 7:30 am on a monday morning, and I've been up all night. (not playing AO)

?

argh, This thread is like the hydra, you finally chop one head off, and 3 more attack you

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Always you must search for the Oneness of Being, not the Being of Oneness

Originally posted by lilnymph
    argh, This thread is like the hydra, you finally chop one head off, and 3 more attack you

hugs

lilnymph
    Haha! You THINK you chopped mine off, but I just changed tactics. Just wait until you see my idea for MP travel! AND I think I found a way for Sols to get Run Buffs without copying Fixers (or Advs)

Btw, just to put some more fuel on the fire, how do Fixers feel about Advies not only having Run Buffs, but in fact the BEST Run Buff in the game?

No, I'm not back.

Dang! What's the plural off atrox?

Originally posted by Zicoz

Then how can this be unique? The grid is open to anyone, and anyone should be able to enter it without standing at a terminal. Exept maybe atroxes, that would be an interesting turn of the game I think. A nano that is not profession based, but breed based.

OMG, racism reares it's ugly head, even in AO.

Maybe instead of basing it on breed, we should base it on flames received on the forums? That would make it REALLY interesting!

Bigatroxwithbeam: Ah! Another satisfying BS mission complete, with lots of PHAT LEWT for everyone. Heck, even the advie got that KoT nano he's been looking for so long. Well, let's all grid out with our PGC's!'
    Revelator: I can't!
    Bigatroxwithbeam: Waddyamean, can't? We can all grid now, the evil tyranny of the fixers has been overthrown!
    Revelator: Well yes, but Lilnymph keeps flaming me on the boards, and until I can get my flame count down my PGC won't work.
    Bigatroxwithbeam: See? This is why I stay away from the boards. Well, cya!
    Revelator: If only I could learn to keep my big fat mouth shut!

No, I'm not back.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234