Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AO's new Advertising Campaign is Tasteless

EQ

>Perfect example:

>That blonde chick with the staff and the large breasts on the >cover of ALL the Everquest boxes. God they've done her to >death.

So to speak.

Originally posted by Dropcid
    "C'mon guys, I swear I'm not an elf.... just ask my wife..."
    ....Silverleaf Merrymac.
    http://www.pvponline.com/images/sponsors/funcom4.gif
    Last edited by Detonate; Jan 28th, 2002 at 23:02:40.
    Veteran Homer "Detonate" McDuff - My Equipment
    -= First Order =-

First Order is one of the largest and most powerful Omni-Tek Departments located on Rubi-Ka 1. If you are a dedicated Omni-Tek employee looking for superior opportunities within the company, check out http://www.firstorder.net/ and apply for a position today!
    First Order is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on Breed, Level, or Profession.

WHY MMORPG'S SUCK!

Not just for teenagers - even us 53 year old men appreciate good "implant art." It's amazing how thin skinned and outrageously bigoted the "offended" are becoming.

In the words of Chevy Chase (Modern Problems): 'Yes!!! I like it!"
    "Life is too short to drink bad ale."

We I Like AO

I Played numerous games online in the past through free gaming services such as battle.net, gamespy, or WON. I enjoyed playing on AO for a more friendly mature gamer, the reason for the maturity was dirived from the fact that the game you had to pay money per month to play. Any game where you have to pay money to play is obviously going to take a good amount of your time to not be a waste and those that are well adapted to conversing on the internet are very open on their oppinions on things and are also much more tolerant to the world around them. Now back to where i was going, the fact that most kids don't have an abundant amount of money keeps most young kids off the game; I however am 16 years old, I play games because i find them fun and challenging and it really pisses me off when kids yell "Your Gay BLAH BLAH BLAH". One of my friends is gay and i don't find it funny and therefore wouldn't use it to cut someone down. Why do people call others gay? Is it because they are different? If that is true then why don't people call other people gypsies or someother minority group? I can't figure this one out, if you can help post so i have some sort of info as to why people do this crap to each other.

Yanked

I agree Sohjiro, I just yanked the post to avoid a totally off topic argument. I have only a few "hot buttons" and it got pushed, hence the post you saw. I appreciate your general arguments regarding Scott Katz. If you want another example of that kind of thing, you probably know all about the fictional persona of "JeffK" over at somethingawful. If you didnt "get it" (and see if from its inception) you would make erroneous presumptions over "what its about" and not be able get a good laugh over it. But it can be tough sometimes to distinguish true Parody over something more insideous and sometimes the line is quite fine on what encourages inflammation of the problem and what is a good sendup. And when your on the receiving end of that sendup it's pretty hard to not get emotional and guarded over it - most people just do not "get it" unless they are in the same boat.

Regards,

Frankly I found the banner with the woman and the "I have implants" somewhat amusing.

But the use of the word gay as a derogatory adjective should not be found in advertising. Just for the record, one can view that banner right here on the AO website so it is not true that PvP Online is the only place you can see it.

By using it in advertising, one is encouraging its use. We already have teenagers who just can't get it through their heads why they shouldn't be using this word the way they are (I had a lengthy argument with one young man who just couldn't understand why I found it offensive).

Seen in a cartoon strip, one may be able to determine that it is being used satirically due to the context but an ad banner is a snapshot with almost all context removed. The cartoonist could have used a different adjective in the ad banner and I really wish that he had.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

I also say we take all the guns and blood out of this game too.. Give everyone pillows and nerf bricks and we can have a big love fest where we just sit in a big circle and talk about our feelings.

If you don't like the ads, don't look at them.

If you don't like the game, Don't play it.

No one is forcing anyone to look at these ads, nor is anyone forcing you to play this game.

I guess nothing is off limits to complain about with some people.

"If you don't like the ads, don't look at them.

If you don't like the game, Don't play it. "

And if the advertisement in question had used the term, "******" or "Kike." We should simply be silent about it?

Funcom can use whatever message they want to advertise. And I sure as hell can express how I feel about it.

Okay, this thread has me confused about an important point: was the ad in question something done by Funcom (or, more precisely, by this cartoonist at Funcom's request or with their approval) or was it just something that that guy did completely independently? If the former then I stick by my statements, if the latter then I was wrong and apologize to Funcom.

In other words, what did they know and when did they know it? Not that I expect anyone at Funcom to lower themselves to answering such a simple question...

Scorus

Thumbs down

I also say we take all the guns and blood out of this game too.. Give everyone pillows and nerf bricks and we can have a big love fest where we just sit in a big circle and talk about our feelings.

If you don't like the ads, don't look at them.

If you don't like the game, Don't play it.

No one is forcing anyone to look at these ads, nor is anyone forcing you to play this game.

I guess nothing is off limits to complain about with some people.
    Amen. This thread is gettin pretty gay.

You guys all need to have sex. Now. Gay or straight, I don't care. Just whoever is closest to you. Get off and stop having orgasms (or the opposite thereof) over video games.

Especially you. Stupid twit.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

One-eye-on-the-hand mutants are an offense to vision-challenged people. I am so pissed off I will close my account right now. How could have been so b... dumb to play AO up to now !?

<-- This is also a mockery.Please change this icon so that it has brown or pink lenses !!

And I won't comment on the skin color of all these icons... I'm glad to know that norvegian are yellow skinned but other communities should be represented too !
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

"I got implants"
    ROFL LMAO

she ain't talking about her boobs( her chest maybe) but not her boobs

You know what really annoys me...
    All you PC people with your "this could offend someone"
    To put it quite simply....
    If it doesn't offend you, personally, then shut up.
    Who here is gay and is offended when someone says "everquest is gaaaaaay"? If you're not gay, and not playing everquest, then you really don't have any room to complain, do you?

-D

this entire topic is gaaaaaaaaayyy

P.S. Wow! Det and I have been censored by funcom for the first time! I'm sooo proud! You guys missed some funny stuff... but I suppose someone probably said "I bet elves would be offended!", remove that post! F-ing losers.

One thing to add here...
    The english language is constantly evolving...
    Some words end up having several meanings, depending on context...
    i.e.
    Gay = homosexual
    is not the same thing as
    gay = lame

Some words just evolve

Do you guys also get offended everytime a rapper says "Yo! Watup my niggaz!"
    I already know you will say "Yes! That offends me!" But in reality... no, it doesn't offend you, because you know the word has evolved and has new meanings.

You know, I'm really starting to get tired of AO just becuase of the quality of the people around here. uggggg

-D
    "Super-cracker extraordinaire!"

He should have spelled it Ghey.. That way no one could be offended.

He spelled it like he meant it. Nothing wrong with speaking your mind - or portraying a cartoon character that does.

This thread reminds me of the people that were "offended" by Archie Bunker when "All in the Family" first aired. Or the folks that were (and those that still are) shocked by the stuff on SNL.

It's humorous! - get over your up-tight self! Learn how to laugh

Originally posted by Paldorr
    He spelled it like he meant it. Nothing wrong with speaking your mind - or portraying a cartoon character that does.

This thread reminds me of the people that were "offended" by Archie Bunker when "All in the Family" first aired. Or the folks that were (and those that still are) shocked by the stuff on SNL.

It's humorous! - get over your up-tight self! Learn how to laugh
    Do you also find it humorous when you read an account of a young gay or lesbian getting beaten in school by a bunch of boys who think it's perfectly ok to harm someone for being homosexual?

The use of gay as a derogatory adjective comes out of this atmosphere of adolescent homophobia that cause teenage gays to literally fear for their lives in school. The suicide rate of teenage gays is quite high.

No, this isn't humorous. It's serious, quite serious. Just because teenage boys find something funny does not necessarily mean that it is funny.

By the way, All in the Family was satire that mocked the Archie Bunkers of the world. If you didn't catch that then I'm afraid you misunderstood the show.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Sorry you don't see the humor, but it's funny. Peddle your PC crap elsewhere.

Megabio
    /me looks at the post and shrugs at all the comments about teenagers

Luckily I'm just twelve
    ~Chris

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast