Thread: big jump in the number of casting fumbles?

big jump in the number of casting fumbles?

Has anyone noticed a big jump in the number of casting fumbles?

My NT had 3 fumbles back to back while attempting to kill a grey bot for dogda parts. Out of 6 casts I had 4 fumbles. This seems a little high to me. In 50% solo mission I often see a 20% fumble rate.

I noticed if I try to cast a nano immediately after the recharge is up the likelihood of fumbling is massively increased (up to 75%) so I have started to wait a second or two between casts to try and avoid this… If this happens to be a “feature” it sux, gun users weapons don’t fumble as soon as they take subsequent shots and neither do melee weapon users. Why should I have to pause between casts, I already have a recharge timer to wait out without having to add an additional delay in myself.

Does anyone else have problems like this?

Nope... I think I have fumbled about 20 times in my last 5 levels...
    Ashes and dust...

205 Okonkwo

Heh, yes, the fumble rate seems to have increased a bit, but the weird thing is I only notice it on casting professions (like my NT, oh my god does he fumble a lot).

My Doc rarely ever fumbles a debuff or dot, though.

Yes, personally I think there have been small increases over a fairly long time.

Just a guess here, but I think they're trying to see if they can get people to use the anti-fumble nanos.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

There are no anti-fumble nanos according to FunCom.

The MP has some anti-interrupt nanos, however. These are of dubious value when fighting a melee-weapon user. We all know how often we get interrupted by melee weapon users. Happened one time last month to me.

Fumbles have always been explained as a flat rate innate failure. They even told us that they are the equivalent of the flat-rate 'gun jam' failures for weapons users that are conveniently not shown in chat.

Last night IM fighting 3 virusbuilders at once. Im using accellerated titanium pellet which takes forever to cast but kills a mob in 2 hits. I fumbled a total of 6 x, 3 of those in a row be4 i died. Absolutely rediculous. they say its 3% chance to fumble , well 3 fumbles in 7 casts is NOT 3%. IM determined to continue playing my NT up to the higher lvls but it is getting harder instead of easier as I gain lvls now. ALthough im choosing easier missions at times just to get the cash.
    Funcom Wake Up , this needs to be fixed!

I think maybe NT's just get more fumbles. Class based fumbling, maybe?

I say this because as a fixer hunting claws, I fumbled maybe a dozen times in two weeks. A couple nights ago, playing my NT, I fumbled a dozen times in one mission, and that includes a streak of three in a row.

It does seem a little odd that the people who have problems with this are almost entirely NTs

-Pandaofdoom
    Anatediaphobia:

The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

The uber gimp, now in accessible goodness:
    Gimp gimp gimp

Not sure if it's related to prof, but it's definitely related to the type of nano. Heals, for instance, just don't fumble.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

I watched a Fixer fumble evac last week

It was amusing

Perhaps nukes get fumbled more than debuffs, but I wouldn't really understand why if that's the case.

Originally posted by Hypos
    Not sure if it's related to prof, but it's definitely related to the type of nano. Heals, for instance, just don't fumble.
    They do. Very rarely, for sure, but I've fumbled one or two heals in the past.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

I have an agent and an NT. Occasionally I get nano fumbles with my agent, they are usually daft things like expertees and FP’s. The roots are fine but the stun (perhaps coz I use it so much) does occasionally fail, I would say that 3% would be a good figure for that. The NT on the other hand is a totally different story. I have a screen grab of 3 back to back fumbles using phosphor torch. With the NT I would say fumble rate is more like 20% sometimes even higher. This sux, my agents gun doesn’t jam and I never heard of a melee fumble, the nanos sometimes get countered which is the same as melee parrys and gun misses, the fact that 90% of my NT’s damage is nano based is rather worrying when I cant even execute the nano.

Perhpas FC might like to comment on this, specificaly fast casting as soon as the recharge is up.

Tiggy

From Community Corner
    Professionals - message out - #1 (part 2)
    Originally posted by Cz
    Blackholes, fumbles, and nano execution lag
    A little more details on the fumble system: This is a 3% chance that affects all skill checks in the game, not just nano execution; weapon attacks, hand to hand attacks, picking locks, everything. However, there are two differences with nano fumbles; you get feedback about it, and the action is cancelled (meaning no nano cost, and no recharge time).

In addition, like low defensive skills compared to attack skills increase the chance of landing a critical hit with attacks (not nano attacks though, as that is taken into the damage formulas already), low attack skills compared to defense skills increase the chance of a fumble, both for nano programs and other skill checks. Thus you should expect to fumble a lot more against very high level enemies.
    Originally posted by Cz
    I'll correct myself a bit: Thus you should expect to fumble a lot more against enemies with very high Nano Resist.
    The Cubicle - All the Bureaucrat news you can bear to hear

Isrady Enforcer
    Cambist Crat
    Undoing Doctor

SHADOWQUEST-

Originally posted by Hypos
    Yes, personally I think there have been small increases over a fairly long time.

Just a guess here, but I think they're trying to see if they can get people to use the anti-fumble nanos.
    Not sure what you mean by anti-fumble nanos. I remember reading a sign by the NL wompa that reads "Unfocused Minds Fumble". Knowing MPs have a buff line starting with Notum Focus and going up, I used to use them all the time.

Unfortunately, this buff only reduces interupt factor so that you don't get interupted using long cast nanos (like shutdown) in battle, but the fumble rate stays the same.
    Chadwick "Armaklaesy" Brownwood
    Welcome to my massage parlor. Please put on this towel and Zhok will be right with you.

Originally posted by Cz
    Blackholes, fumbles, and nano execution lag
    A little more details on the fumble system: This is a 3% chance that affects all skill checks in the game, not just nano execution; weapon attacks, hand to hand attacks, picking locks, everything. However, there are two differences with nano fumbles; you get feedback about it, and the action is cancelled (meaning no nano cost, and no recharge time).

In addition, like low defensive skills compared to attack skills increase the chance of landing a critical hit with attacks (not nano attacks though, as that is taken into the damage formulas already), low attack skills compared to defense skills increase the chance of a fumble, both for nano programs and other skill checks. Thus you should expect to fumble a lot more against very high level enemies.
    Originally posted by Cz
    I'll correct myself a bit: Thus you should expect to fumble a lot more against enemies with very high Nano Resist.
    Originally posted by Cz
    Grrr, I knew I should have double-checked that. Seems the fumbling effects was confused with nano execution interruptions. You do have recharge on fumbles, I've been told. Sorry about that.
    I wish people would quote all the information rather than just the incorect stuff

Sent a message, including a screen shot of 3 back to back fumbles on a grey mob, to Cz who told me that the dev team were going to look into it... yay

Now, lets hope it gets fixed.

Tiggy

I've actually been doing some testing on this myself with my NT. The fumble rate is in fact at around 3%, the problem seems to be with the method that FC uses to generate the random 3%. It isn't very random. Playing for several hours and purposely counting the number of casts and fumbles i saw that I was getting something like 1-5 fumbles per hundred casts which to me is within acceptable margin of error for 3%. The problem is all those fumbles occured close to each other, in fact they almost always happened in the same battle and often occured back to back.

That is the issue I would like FC to look at, the randomness of these fumbles leaves much to be desired.

Originally posted by Tiggy
    I wish people would quote all the information rather than just the incorect stuff
    At the time I looked at it, he hadn't posted the last correction. I certainly wasn't maliciously misquoting as you seem to imply. I even posted the link to the article in case it was further updated.
    Originally posted by Yodster
    That is the issue I would like FC to look at, the randomness of these fumbles leaves much to be desired.
    It does seem like the random number generator tends to be streak prone... String of crits or of flubs.
    The Cubicle - All the Bureaucrat news you can bear to hear

Isrady Enforcer
    Cambist Crat
    Undoing Doctor

SHADOWQUEST-

Originally posted by Cambist
    At the time I looked at it, he hadn't posted the last correction. I certainly wasn't maliciously misquoting as you seem to imply. I even posted the link to the article in case it was further updated.
    Didnt intend to leave you with that impression, i did have a wink at the end of statement.

But like i mentioned Cz said the dev team are going to look into it so it sounds as if it is something that they are actually concerned about

Tiggy

Originally posted by Mharc
    They do. Very rarely, for sure, but I've fumbled one or two heals in the past.
    I'm 100% sure that fumbling a heal is impossible.

It just doesn't happen. Look at my level and profession, and know that I have never once fumbled a heal The only nanos I've ever fumbled were offensive nanos, and once a grid nano.

My NT however, fumbles an astronomical amount on nukes.

I don't understand why the chance of a fumble should have anything to do with the resistence of the mob you're attacking. To me, a "fumble" means you just messed up casting it. Counters should rely on the mob's resistence though.