Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Make the world more dark!

I dunno what the game is trully capable of but I do know its capable of more than: Sunny | Rainy | Ash . I've seen fog before (not the light stuff but pea soup thickness). I've seen purple fog ingame before.

Someone start playing with the weather generator!
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Originally posted by Jaesic

depends on how far you live from the equator doesn't it? not everyone on earth has radical seasonal weather.
    Heh. Here in Los Angeles, it was about 80 degrees today... in the dead of winter. It'll be 85 degrees in Spring, and about 90 degrees all summer.

*sigh*

I wish we had seasons here.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Why not just give us a zone up north beyond Mort or perpet wastelands that is snowy? I would go up there and just meditate between missions and figure out what Im still doing here.
    "Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Originally posted by Blue Cat

Heh. Here in Los Angeles, it was about 80 degrees today... in the dead of winter. It'll be 85 degrees in Spring, and about 90 degrees all summer.

*sigh*

I wish we had seasons here.
    /me looks at the snow falling everyday...

Wow its snowing for the first time in .... 8 years in NJ... Move here if ya want some weather =D
    GalxandJoan "Toxinator" Rox :: 202 Doc
    He "Tearspoint" Totem :: 215 Nano Tech :: Equipment :: Perks
    General :: Band of Brothers :: Band of Brothers Forums

Account Created
    2001-08-23 04:59:27

Account Status:
    Open

Originally posted by Jaesic

depends on how far you live from the equator doesn't it? not everyone on earth has radical seasonal weather.
    Actually there are several other determening factors influencing weather and temperature than just how near equator you are. Planet north and southpoles are very important, also the rotation of the planet. The distance from the sun.

And since we play in a world many thousands of years ahead of our own RL, and are able to terraform ANYTHING, I would guess that we are able to DECIDE how we want the planet. Temperate, tropic, snowy... induced iceage... you name it!
    "Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Originally posted by Lord Tritoch

/me looks at the snow falling everyday...

Wow its snowing for the first time in .... 8 years in NJ... Move here if ya want some weather =D
    I'd rather ship him the friggin snow. I'm in Philly. He can have the snow. I'll take he women sunbathing year round if he doesn't want them
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

true enough... but i was going for the simplicity factor there and even with just the simple stuff added in, i STILL wouldn't want to write the mathematical model for seasons on a terraformed planet with twin suns

I like how dark and moody the sky was on Halloween. Lightning, and pitch black storm clouds. That was pretty cool.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." -- to Billy Madison

Yep, more fog and gloom, thank you! In certain areas, at least, to add to the sense of danger and foreboding Snow-capped mountain ranges would be cool too.
    Bret 'Bothead' Bannister
    Member of Rising Phoenix

Originally posted by Smacdevil
    Yep, more fog and gloom, thank you! In certain areas, at least, to add to the sense of danger and foreboding Snow-capped mountain ranges would be cool too.
    I could be wrong, but I believe I've run across snow capped mountains out there in my exploring. I think its 'falling' snow that they were asking for earlier... not white textured ground.

You must have a better PC than I then, cause I can't see any textures even resembling snow on the mountains :/
    Bret 'Bothead' Bannister
    Member of Rising Phoenix

Originally posted by Lavitar

And since we play in a world many thousands of years ahead of our own RL, and are able to terraform ANYTHING, I would guess that we are able to DECIDE how we want the planet. Temperate, tropic, snowy... induced iceage... you name it!
    Im too lazy to check, but I seem to recall that the current out-of-the-blue 10 minute long electrical storms are an uncontrolled side effect of terra forming and weather control.

I too think it would be very nice if the weather effects in the different zones had a seasonal or long term variation to them. Perhaps seasonal weather also could have elements that actually affected you instead of just being a visual effect. For instance, snow or ice on the ground could mean a small runspeed penalty and give a small cold damage over time (like when standing in toxic waste) if your cold AC is below some threshold. Heavy rain or fog could give a perception penalty. High temperatures could give a small fire damage when fire AC is below some threshold. And so on. The point here is that people can and sometimes should prepare for the weather just as in RL.

Of course, relative to many other issues such weather effects are definately just candy

just to point out that seasons mainly depend on variation in the distance from the sun in the planets orbit, rotation speed of the planet (and therefore mass of the planet), and the axial tilt of the planet. None of these things are going to be easy to change, and if we had the power to do them, I dont think we would be grubbing about mining

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

And aren't those green radioactive/chemical dust storms cozy? I'm always astonished at how quiet things get when a storm stops blowing.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." -- to Billy Madison

RK wasn't designed with meteorology in mind. Those two moons (one of them is giant, and I'll get to that) don't cause tides and they would reflect more sunlight from two suns than they currently do. It's easy for a planet to have a pair of moons, Mars does, but the moons are either too close or too big. Every time I look into the RK sky and see that giant moon, I think "it's gonna hit..". They changed it, too. One time it had a really cool blueish hue that I want back (I figure that's once in a blue moon, but I'll try anyway).
    In order to have a temperate climate, the ozone layer knocks out a lot of the light and heat that the suns send, so the atmosphere has a meteorlogical reason to apear a bit different. Then again, Venus has a very thick atmosphere ('battery acid' makes up the clouds) and is quite hot.
    I would love if RK was changed to something like Venus, it would be great to have seismic activity for once.
    Don't forget about the mountian & desert setup, and much of the terrain is too hilly.
    Last edited by Maxtor 1-7; Jan 10th, 2003 at 03:46:11.

Originally posted by Maxtor 1-7
    RK wasn't designed with meteorology in mind. Those two moons (one of them is giant, and I'll get to that) don't cause tides ....
    Two? I've seen three, though I may be halucinating . And I was wondering about the tides thing too. Two (or three) moons would play havoc with the water bodies on the planet. Our moon is almost 300k miles away and it causes water levels to vary at least six feet in some parts. Rubi-Ka must have hellabig tide changes. The huge moon is either that (huge) or really close to the planet. Either way, it'd place significant geological stress on Rubi-Ka - our moon does it to us, albeit on a much smaller scale. The forces exerted on the planet by such a (relatively) large moon would be staggering, even downright hazardly to life - earthquakes (Rubi-Ka-quakes?) and volcanoes, biweekly or even more frequent wouldn't be a stretch.

And don't even get me started on the effects of a binary star system on planetary evolution...
    Last edited by DarkMatter; Jan 14th, 2003 at 18:04:17.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."
    -Confucius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12