Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To tip or not to tip

I usually tip for my buffs. Of course, I have no say on the other end of the spectrum since I'm a crat. The times I have been asked for a buff, I usually recieve tips, which I gladly accept.
    ~Q~
    [QAETUS]-[FIRST ORDER]
    Qaetus the Chain Insurance Claim Caster
    ‘I asked God for strength that I might achieve; I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
    I asked for help that I might do greater things; I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
    I asked for riches that I might be happy; I was given poverty that I might be wise.
    I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
    I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I had hoped for. Despite myself, my prayers were answered. I am among all men most richly blessed.’

I myself am an MP, and I get asked alot for my buffs, I do not mind wether i get tipped or not.
    But if it is offered to me I sometimes gladly accept or decline.

But still its the offer that counts!

Last night I had the best tip of my life!

I buffed Zabline and she/he logged on his/her MP and gave me 5 Infuse nanos!

I mean that was the best tip of my life!

I couldnt have asked for anything better.

It shows what a little kindness can acheive!
    Tikon - Forever an MP. Rest in peace my dear old friend.

Remember, Life is a Journey, Not a Destination, So enjoy the ride..

EDDIE
    All right. Everybody cough up some green for the little lady.

Come on. Throw in a buck.

MR. PINK
    Uh-uh. I don't tip.

EDDIE
    You don't tip?

MR. PINK
    No - I don't believe in it.

EDDIE
    You don't believe in tipping?

MR. BLUE
    You know what these chicks make? They make ****.

MR. PINK
    Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit.

(Mr. Blonde laughs.)
    EDDIE
    I don't even know a ****ing Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me just get this straight. You don't ever tip, huh?

MR. PINK
    I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I mean I'll tip if somebody really deserves a tip, if they really put forth the effort, I'll give 'em something extra, but I mean this tipping automatically is for the birds.

(Eddie laughs.)
    I mean as far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

MR. BLUE
    Hey, this girl was nice.

MR. PINK
    She was OK - but she wasn't anything special.

MR. BLUE
    What's special, take you in the back and suck your ****?

(They laugh.)
    EDDIE
    I'd go over 12% for that.

MR. PINK
    Hey Look, I ordered coffee, right? Now we've been here a long ****in time, and she's only filled my cup three times. When I order coffee, I want it filled six times

MR. BLONDE
    Six times? Well, you know, what if she's too ****ing busy?

MR. PINK
    Words "too ****ing busy" shouldn't be in a waitress' vocabulary.

EDDIE
    Excuse me, Mr. Pink - the last ****ing thing you need's another cup of coffee.

MR. PINK
    Jesus Christ - I mean these ladies aren't starving to death. They make minimum wage. You know, I used to work minimum wage. And when I did, I wasn't lucky enough to have a job society deemed tip-worthy.

MR. BLUE
    You don't care they're counting on your tips to live?

(Mr. Pink rubs two of his fingers together.)
    MR. PINK
    You know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.

MR. WHITE
    You don't have any idea what you're talking about. These people bust their ass. This is a hard job.

MR. PINK
    So's working at McDonald's, but you don't feel the need to tip them, do you? Why not? They're servin ya food. But no, society says don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That's bull****.

MR. WHITE
    Waitressing is the number one occupation for female noncollege graduates in this country. It's the one job basically any woman can get and make a living on. The reason is because of their tips.

MR. PINK
    (pauses) **** all that.

(They all laugh.)
    MR. BROWN
    Jesus Christ!

MR. PINK
    Hey, I'm very sorry that the government taxes their tips. That's ****ed up. That ain't my fault. It would appear that waitresses are just one of the many groups the government ****s in the ass on a regular basis. You show me a paper says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it. Put it to a vote, I'll vote for it. But what I won't do is play ball. And this non-college bull**** you're giving me, I got two words for that: "Learn to ****in type." Cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent, you're in for a big ****in' surprise.

MR. ORANGE
    Hey - he's convinced me. Give me my dollar back.

EDDIE
    Hey! Leave the dollars there.

JOE
    All right, ramblers, let's get ramblin'. Wait a minute. Who didn't throw in?

MR. ORANGE
    Mr. Pink.

JOE
    Mr. Pink? Why not?

MR. ORANGE
    He don't tip.

JOE
    He don't tip? What do you mean you don't tip?

MR. ORANGE
    He don't believe in it.

JOE
    Shut up. What do you mean you don't believe in it? Come on, you, cough up a buck, you cheap bastard. I paid for your goddamn breakfast.

MR. PINK
    Alright - since you paid for the breakfast, I'll put in, but normally I would never do this.

JOE
    Never mind what you normally would do. Just cough in your goddamn buck like everybody else. Thank you.
    ..ANARCHY ONLINE..
    ALIENZQUEST
    Storm

I'm a terrible person...

I like to be offered tip, but i don't accept...

However if my boss Manifestos is to make a full set of lets say 200 imps, she'd like to get some tip... Cause it takes some time to do them... And it's booooring...
    Best regards Juliet Poetica Capulet (female solitus trader lvl195 - poet by heart, Oh Romeo, - who need Romeo?) Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
    "Not all who wander are lost." (John Ronald Reuel Tolkien)
    "To Dare is to risk losing your foothold for a moment, Not to Dare is to risk losing yourself." (Søren Kierkegaard)

Anaïs Manifestos Nin (female solitus mp lvl 171) Member of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Angel Heroess Heart (female solitus fixer lvl 102) Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Luna YangYing Lee (female solitus MA lvl 75) Unit Commander of Legionaries
    Meow Wyxxen Meow (female solitus doc lvl 74) Applicant of Legionaries
    Destiny ZorZereZ Decay (female nanomage nt lvl 57) Applicant of Legionaries
    Kittie DarkGodess Catt (female solitus soldier lvl 39) Applicant of Legionaries
    Modesty PlayGirl Blaise (female solitus engie lvl 19) Member of Legionaries

As an engie, I Beg For Buffs (BFB) everytime I am forced to log. I have 3 scripts for each buff.
    1. Asks for the buff.
    2. Thanks for the buff and offers compensation.
    3. Thanks for the buff again independent of whether compensation is requested.
    Each is a single-line to-the-point direct tell so as not to bug the requestee with paragraphs of text or time consuming gestictulations.

Fortunately, I am at the point where I only need infuse or a medium wrangle for da big bot, so it's easier these days.

So obviously, I believe in tipping if it is requested.

I understand why folks are tired of receiving BFBs. However, I find it disappointing that when some requestees that are obvious not afk, after receiving the first script mentioned above, refuse to even acknowledge it. In some cases, I believe they have gone as far as to intentionally give the wrong buffs (mochams should not all look alike). I really don't mind a "no" or even "NO!!!!!", but please remember that FC has forced some breeds into this BFB stuff and we still should be treated civilly (sp?).
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

Tipping is very nice.

The thing is, with someone who only has a lvl 70 char or so (me) I have no money. I save money so that I can get my implants in. The bad thing is you are not able to tell the difference from ppl who are rich from ppl who are struggling to get implants. If I tip you what, like 10k, is that normal? That would take the person I am tipping (since they are normally higher than me) a couple bodies to loot. Me, it takes quarter of a mission... I dont want to be rude, and I feel that if I tell the tipper that I am poor he would not know if I am lying... Just don't automatically hate people for not tipping, some are rude twinks with an overflow of cash others are like me

I dont even accept tips, even if I'm offered (and even though Parrot takes 1 full min to cast/recharge), but although a lot of under lvl 100 are alts, I think it would be fair to just go on the assumption that under lvl 100 is not someone rich.

GA fixers are of course exempt from this, as they are obviously UBER rich blitzer gods! :-)

Thats an interesting question actually! How many fixers have genuinely found the GAx through actual blood sweat and tears, and how many forked out the extortionate amount of cash for it?

Also, how many noobs found it accidentally through no fault of their own, and then got cheated out of it when they asked a player what it was, and was told it was of a severely limited interest, but the player asked would be willing to give 100k for it out of the kindness of his heart? And, I sincerely hope, how many of those newb fixers got told that they just made it to the bigtime, and are now officially uber?

And worst of all, how many noobs have found it, didn't realize what they had, didn't ask anyone either, and then stuffed it into a vendor for 120 credits?

Hmmm... I see I have a turned this into YET another GA thread...
    Shows how magic and uber it is I guess.

To turn it back to tipping, everyone knows that

Fixers=Blitzer God

and therefore should have so much money that a 100k tip shouldnt even matter that much at all. They are of course free to ask for a tip, but should they expect one offered? GIven a polite non-intrusive request, at a not-really-obviously-busy moment?
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

I always tip.

20k for things like FG, ES, Masteries.

50k For SFA, IC and single Mochs

100k for SFA/IC combo and full sets of Mochs.

1k per point of Wrangle with a 50k minimum tip.

Now I am an Enforcer and I used to get tips all the time......I might get a tip once every 20th Essence now. Crap most of the time I'm lucky if I get a Thank You.

BTW...in RL I tip 20% plus at restaurants, and $1 per drink if under $5 and $2 for anything higher. Also when going to a bar I usually over tip my first order. I'll throw the bartender a $20...It's amaizing how much that shortens your wait time for the next round.
    Last edited by Hemicrusher{LC}; Jan 3rd, 2003 at 18:32:48.
    Hemicrusher

My Current Armor Setup Nail Armor Baby!

Stupidity Should Be Painful

LVL 200 Clan Enforcer - General of Lost Chapter

Well here is what I tell my friends.

I have been in the spell/nano casting business for a long long time. I was a wizard, aka Port ***** in EQ. My motto was if I was out to earn some money, I asked for the money up front. I mean how the hell can you expect to make money if you don't say something? There are many many people that will take advantage of people that do things for free. In all my time porting people for cash and asking for money prior to the port I think I received two complaints. I see some people with the links to their services and how much they cost and I can promise you they are happy with the money they make because it is all up front pricing. Personally I prefer it this way. To think of it as a tip or donation or whatever is just not going to earn you the in game money you are trying to get.

If I had earned the money I needed then I switched to tip/donation mode. Or I simply said no. Sure it might make some people mad, but you know what? You can not please everyone all the time. It's a matter of you fighting against your own ethics in the end. I just considered it a business deal and I have had no problems with the way I handle this in game process.

BTW My Friend and I did get a GA II a few weeks ago and we have been trying to level him up to where he can use it. We are not rich by any stretch of the imagination.
    Keeping the citizens of Rubi-Ka safe since April 29475. To Serve and Protect.

Usami "Usar" Ishara
    Omni-Tek Awarded - Flags of Glory and Redemption --November 29476

I never charge for a buff. If they want to offer me money, thats great. Ill take it. But I figure it this way, If someone needs a buff, they can have it, cause who knows, you may need to ask that same person for one yourslef in a month or a week, or whatever.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Well I tip tip tip and offer everytime, simply out of appriciating someone taking time from what they were doing and buffing a stranger.
    Really you cant assume you will get a buff , even when asked politelly, so im very thankfull for their time.

With some people though, they dont even seem to appriciate it, your sort of an after thought or an object.
    Buff plz........and runs away, after you stopped doing the 3 things you were doing just for them.

Well a thank you is nice as is offering a tip, I wont necesarilly take it, most of the time i dont.
    As far as noobs in mismatched armor go, a thanks is all i need from them.

On the other subject how did an GA envy post get in here?
    Anyhow its not GA that makes a blitzer its the blitzer and a speed buff, Hot doesnt hurt eather.
    My doc can blitz as easily as my fixer. It just took some practice.
    Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury

As a doc I am always gettign asked for buffs. Usually the only time someone gets rude is when they want and IC and I tell them I am in a team. I had a problem with one member of Redemption who after I told him I was in a team and we were drawing missions told me to leave a team so I could come buff him. The convo shouldn't have got this far but I told him I was busy drawing team missions, and his response was tell them to wait it will only take you 10 seconds to buff me. After that one of my guildies jumped on him and it became a full flegged argument, which resulted in /ignore. Now if there was any chance for me to buff him, it was not completely gone. Be nice to your doc Anyways when I do have time to give out a buff I don't expect to be tipped, but at least give me the gesture to accept or rufuse, hald the time I will refuse it. If I am doing a SFA I hardly ever accept a tip becuase I am usually doing something and just shoot the SFA off and then run off to where I need to be.

When I ask for a buff I always offer a tip because I often do /list <insert your profession here> and it takes time fir them to come buff me.
    RK-1
    ------------------
    Nrse.

/list <prof>
    /tell <name> come buff me...

r00d & = ignore

i tip the same way as Superslang, cos he tipped me once and it was the coolest way to tip ever, i didn't accept it tho.

i tip 1337 creds or 123456 creds. depends who it is tho

Cal
    ..ANARCHY ONLINE..
    ALIENZQUEST
    Storm

I always send a tip over to caster (as a Crat, I'm alsays ISO of buffs).

150k for TS/MC Mochz
    150K for 131 Wrngle
    100K for IC or SFA
    200K for Parrot (hey, these are high lvl players)

About 5% of the time the caster doesnt accept. Essentially I'm shelling out millions each month. I dont mind too much (part of the game i guess), but its a little disheartening when people dont recipricate when I buff. Granted its only about 1 once per day for a Psychology buff. In fact, Ive been offered a tip only once for the month of Dec. Dont get me wrong. I'm not bummed, I just think thats its a little impolite that so many people dont tip anymore.

Is tipping just reserved for MPs, Docs and Traders these days?
    Last edited by WookiHog; Jan 4th, 2003 at 00:37:14.
    Iriee

Bring Back Lankybill!!!

I think offering tips is just polite even if it is just a buff in return. You are asking someone to borrow a little bit of their time (even if it is just 10 seconds).

As a fixer, I will say, I have never been tipped for a buff including NCU buffs. No one has ever offered and those that don't at least say thank you, get put on a 'no buff-y again' list.
    Isadara level 214 NT AL 12 (Gear and Perks)-- Rimor
    Valdene level 197 Fixer (Gear and Perks) -- Rimor

General of Project Eden

Apropos of nothing at all, a friend of mine and his friends once got thrown out of a bar in Washington DC for not tipping ENOUGH!

It wasn't that they weren't tipping, it was just not enough tipping...

Now my friend and his friends were European, and I'm wondering if maybe we are seeing a little difference between American and European tipping cultures? We don't tip that much here in Europe (different from country to country I know! I know! I live in Holland for example, where really ANY tip is a good tip. Gotta hand it to those cheap Dutch, they sure make it easy for you), whereas in the US it's seems very common and very much.

To the fixers, I know it isnt the GA that makes you uber blitzers. Heck, as a lvl 141 adv I can easily blitz ql 210+ missions
    self-buffed (but I'll still get a fixer run buff, for that longer, smoother ride. That Wolf morph is kinda bumpy... Oh and I get a HoT too of course)

What makes you uber at it isn't GA at all it's a) You can really do it self-buffed, I bet most of you don't even bother to get an Ess, GA or no GA, and you wouldn't dream of getting a run buff or HoT from someone else (presuming anyone else have a run buff besides advs, and ours are as earlier stated kinda bumpy, except for the Free Movement, which is really too low to bother with)

and b) You have Grid Evac nanos, which means that you get back to pick up more missions faster, and if the blitz goes horribly wrong you don't have to run all the way out again to not die.

I also think (and I'm being very opinionated (sp?) these days! Somebody is gonna give me a public and brutal smackdown here soon, I can feel it) that trade skillers should definitely be given or at least offered a tip. Someone makes you an uber armor piece or assembles your entire brand new ql200 imp set, that takes a LOT of LOT of LOT of LOT of effort, because they put a TON of IP in it! Believe me, the trade skillers have made a sacrifice so that you can get better, it better be appreciated in some form. Heck, I still wince when I put IP into CL and NP (need it for towers), and one of those is an actual necessity!

Before I got in a guild, I offered a tip for getting my imps done, but got denied, which was great because I wasn't rich. What I did tell them then was that I then owed them a favour. They have probably forgotten about it, but it still holds.

Furthermore it's also my opinion (are those stormclouds gathering over my head? I once teamed with a nanomage NT who claimed to have been killed twice by lightning in the game)
    that the pet classes, who are number 1 with a bullet in line for fixing by FC (with probably crat being the ultimate number one, I mean have you ever teamed with 2 crats at the same time? I'm actually surprised if I see one!), should really get buffs for free, by everyone. They should still be polite, of course, but I feel it would be cruel to ask, expect or accept a tip from them. Dunno how the MPs feel about this, since they are the recipient of most these BFBs, but surely the pet classes stick together? Or at least surely they should?

And with that I take a bow!
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

if you ask for tips.. then give tips
    if you dont accept tips (like me) then dont offer tips

if ppl complain then ask someone else
    Splitfridge// lvl 191 omni doc
    Splitbanana// lvl 110 omni trader -_-
    Spitfridge// lvl 53 enf (yeah he probably killed ur alt)
    Splitanut// lvl 22 mp (watch me solo your base)

SPLIT > YOU

Revelator actually you are absolutelly right about tipping those using tradeskils, they have invested alot of credits into the gear and ip into the abilities.
    I usually had my items made by Superslag and he would have a very casual attitude on how much to tip, I liked that and i tipped him more, if he declined, id tip more next time. Anyway hes a very helpfull person.
    Im not sure what you meant about crats, is it that you think they may be low on funds? Calming through missions for chests works rather nicelly.
    As far as all the pathing and other issues that plague these proffessions your 100% right.
    Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury

I buff Engies for free. No tips accepted. And if I see them just standing around I refresh their MC & TS mochams.

Everybody else... well... I expect an offer. If it's just Infuses or Masteries, then I'm not going to take any money from you. But I have to prepare to cast some mochams. So yes, I expect a tip.

Don't even get me started on implants. I'll assemble a couple for free- but if you pass me a bag with 30 unsorted implants, expect to pay before you get you bag of assembled implants back.

As an MP, finding high level teams is not easy. I've built free implants for people, only to find their teams "filled" the moment my gimpy ass needs a spot.

So no, I don't do anyone free favors. Well, only Engies- because they are my brothers in gimpitude.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast