Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To tip or not to tip

Originally posted by Blue Cat

So no, I don't do anyone free favors. Well, only Engies- because they are my brothers in gimpitude.
    I'm touched

~Chris

Originally posted by Megabio

I'm touched

~Chris
    hi
    Splitfridge// lvl 191 omni doc
    Splitbanana// lvl 110 omni trader -_-
    Spitfridge// lvl 53 enf (yeah he probably killed ur alt)
    Splitanut// lvl 22 mp (watch me solo your base)

SPLIT > YOU

The Glory of being a soldier the last time i was asked for a buff was when some poor chap thought I actualy had a SMG buff i mean god what were they thinking a soldier would have Ranged Gun buff(Hint Hint Funcom) my policy is usualy this if someone buffs me i usualy offer a buff in return most the time i am getting a Run Buff and most fixers are more then happy to get OS and RRFE but maybe i am just crazy the only buffs i usualy pay for are wrangles and anything the guy has to get buffed to receive oh the well maybe i am crazy

Originally posted by Megabio

I'm touched

~Chris
    Not by me you're not, you perverted Engineer. I'll buff your MC/TS, but I'm not touching you.

Well, not for free.

=P
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

hehe honestly if I wanted tips every time someone asked for Essence of Behemoth or Coruscating Screen, or Brutal Thug for that matter...I would never have time to play lol

When looking for group at south gate of tir I probably end up shooting 20-30 Essences before we head out Just not worth my time I'd rather buff and not be bothered

I do it like this: If I have time I buff if I dont have time I ignore.

Abd when I am asking for a buff I make sure too only ask ONE time..

Tipping sux btw.

While on my doc I am constantly spammed with people asking for IC or SFA and most often they do offer a tip, even though it's a good gesture, anyone who does offer me one, I turn down. I don't need the money, it's just a nice thing to do to offer someone a tip for their time. (on some instances I will accept the tip but that's only when I'm flat broke) But I would like to thank those people that do.

However,
    When I'm on my fixer, I'm spammed for ncu/runbuff/hot and NEVER have gotten a tip for ANY of those buffs. I don't see the difference. It takes the same amount of time to stop what you're doing and buff someone. Hell, I've left teams and joined with another just to give them a buff and sometimes don't even get a thank you! At least thank the person!

No matter what buff I receive from someone, I tip them, or at least attempt. I find it quite nice when others decline a tip as well. (the only ones I don't tip are those silly Mockers who cast a run buff on me from god knows where and run off with their speedy legs only for me to be able to send a tell thanking them for their kindness)

It's curtesy. Anyone who asks "how much will you tip?" or ESPECIALLY those people who use fake references in response to your request of a buff with a listing of their prices do NOT get my business. There is kindness that deserves tipping and then their is greed. Greedy people suck
    Tristalyn, Kaidence, Daquri, Sexykitten, Brittain
    GridStream
    Ich gebe Decavolt meine Seele und Körper
    Voted by the community - Funniest Female - Most Eligable Bachelorette and Best Doctor! Thanks! <3
    Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! HUGS!
    .·´¯`·..·» You've just been RAINBOW hugged!! «·..·´¯`·.

I have a special list of people I buff onsight, without tells, with no tips. Actually, while standing around, I'll buff anyone around me (HE/CC/DM). Sometimes I get a thanks, but more often, I get a buff in return. (Hint: thats how you get on the special list). Now I'm finding that I'll get buffs from people I normally buff regularly without even asking for them (which is nice). As for tips, I feel funny offering a 180+ character 100-300k for a buff that will cost them nothing except a few seconds of their time. But I always...always make sure when I ask for a buff, to give HE and CC before asking.
    Goode 200 Nanotechnician
    Ionsphere 166 Martial Artist
    DrHandy 154 Doctor

Originally posted by Revelator
    Apropos of nothing at all, a friend of mine and his friends once got thrown out of a bar in Washington DC for not tipping ENOUGH!

It wasn't that they weren't tipping, it was just not enough tipping...

Now my friend and his friends were European, and I'm wondering if maybe we are seeing a little difference between American and European tipping cultures? We don't tip that much here in Europe (different from country to country I know! I know! I live in Holland for example, where really ANY tip is a good tip. Gotta hand it to those cheap Dutch, they sure make it easy for you), whereas in the US it's seems very common and very much.

To the fixers, I know it isnt the GA that makes you uber blitzers. Heck, as a lvl 141 adv I can easily blitz ql 210+ missions
    self-buffed (but I'll still get a fixer run buff, for that longer, smoother ride. That Wolf morph is kinda bumpy... Oh and I get a HoT too of course)

What makes you uber at it isn't GA at all it's a) You can really do it self-buffed, I bet most of you don't even bother to get an Ess, GA or no GA, and you wouldn't dream of getting a run buff or HoT from someone else (presuming anyone else have a run buff besides advs, and ours are as earlier stated kinda bumpy, except for the Free Movement, which is really too low to bother with)

and b) You have Grid Evac nanos, which means that you get back to pick up more missions faster, and if the blitz goes horribly wrong you don't have to run all the way out again to not die.

I also think (and I'm being very opinionated (sp?) these days! Somebody is gonna give me a public and brutal smackdown here soon, I can feel it) that trade skillers should definitely be given or at least offered a tip. Someone makes you an uber armor piece or assembles your entire brand new ql200 imp set, that takes a LOT of LOT of LOT of LOT of effort, because they put a TON of IP in it! Believe me, the trade skillers have made a sacrifice so that you can get better, it better be appreciated in some form. Heck, I still wince when I put IP into CL and NP (need it for towers), and one of those is an actual necessity!

Before I got in a guild, I offered a tip for getting my imps done, but got denied, which was great because I wasn't rich. What I did tell them then was that I then owed them a favour. They have probably forgotten about it, but it still holds.

Furthermore it's also my opinion (are those stormclouds gathering over my head? I once teamed with a nanomage NT who claimed to have been killed twice by lightning in the game)
    that the pet classes, who are number 1 with a bullet in line for fixing by FC (with probably crat being the ultimate number one, I mean have you ever teamed with 2 crats at the same time? I'm actually surprised if I see one!), should really get buffs for free, by everyone. They should still be polite, of course, but I feel it would be cruel to ask, expect or accept a tip from them. Dunno how the MPs feel about this, since they are the recipient of most these BFBs, but surely the pet classes stick together? Or at least surely they should?

And with that I take a bow!
    Usually, I've found a small notice in the menu at restaurants / drink chart at bars stating that a tip is included in the price.

so.. I don't tip, except when I feel generous

215/15 | Lagerlad Atrox Adventurer | eqp | Mostly indestructible
    214/13 | Xpie Atrox Meta-physicist | eqp | Supernova!
    Member of Ragnarok

I don't take tips and i don't give tips...it's simple, u press a button to buff someone, i often ask for buffs myself, but i don't pay for it...IMO tips are pretty lame, like it was a hard to buff someone....

If iwant something built i pay for it, that is also simple, that person spent alot of IP into the skill, just to help others and sometimes himself = he deserve some cash for it.
    moon meeh

I tip people, when they must go out of their way to either cast the buff on me, or when tradeskills are involved.

Example tip, a level 93 trader has to ransaak/deprive to use better ransaaks/deprives to use better ransaaks/deprives, so he can finally cast my premium wrangle.

Example no tip, lvl 190 doc sitting down, stands up and buffs me SFA.

just my input

Some of us happen to be lazy and have a hard time getting motivated to stand up, thank you. Tipping us helps with that motivation.. In my opinion, if you don't tip or at least offer one, you can do without. (As I stated above, if someone at least OFFERED a tip, I would decline. It's those that think less of you and don't even bother that I have a problem with.) I hate it when people think less of a doctor for SFA/IC.. What makes us any different than a trader/mp/fixer/ etc etc? We all do our part.. Without us you would probably be running around with ql 10 implants, ya big gimp atrox
    Tristalyn, Kaidence, Daquri, Sexykitten, Brittain
    GridStream
    Ich gebe Decavolt meine Seele und Körper
    Voted by the community - Funniest Female - Most Eligable Bachelorette and Best Doctor! Thanks! <3
    Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! HUGS!
    .·´¯`·..·» You've just been RAINBOW hugged!! «·..·´¯`·.

Sort of a moot point.

I havent been tipped in 2000 years, and I think asking for tips is tasteless.

Tips are more important for low to mid lvl players. At lvl 189 I do it for love, not for credits.

Originally posted by Skybert
    tipping when asking for a buff is a nice gesture. I allways do that.

But what about when receiving buffs without asking for them?
    In those cases a 'thanks' in vicinity or in a tell will do.
    Its funny you say that. Anytime I see someone in a med suit I cast SFA on them before they have a chance to ask. I figure, even if they already got it it may only have 10 minutes, so it aint hurting them.

If someone asks I usually whip out a treatment buff pretty quick. If they tip I may or may not take it, tho never from a sub 100 toon, those are the days your outgrowing implants so fast, and money can be pretty tight.
    IMI Tellus TT Advocate.
    Helsinki Dual wielding Tellus Soldier
    Chlamydia Combat Medic "turn right and cough..."
    Heygimme Gourmet baby chef and connoisseur.

Ha. you've done run-by buffings on a med-suited alt of mine, but you're long gone by the time i can find you to say thanks and tip

Yeah, sometimes I run around stores casting +80 on people at random.. easier than waiting to be asked It's fun anyway, although I hate buffing with my enf because it uses up so much of my nanopool. Only reason I don't care on my doc is because my nanodelta imps recharge it before I even think about it..
    Velveeta - The best atrox doctor on Rubi-Ka 1!
    Aiboforcen - A change of pace..
    Shikhi - The return!

Digital Gunfire - Music to level by.

Whenever I see someone running around dressed in white, I buff them

I never send tells asking for buffs/item creation/assembly
    I ask on OOC/Shopping
    Ill ask directly in vicinity if i see the required lvl/proffesin standing close by.

If i get the buff i need, I always thank the person and offer a tip
    I offer the tip in appreciation of the time they spent helping me.

and im always grateful at the phrase "thanks but no tip required"

I've even been told off by someone for sneaking a tip in, when they were building a set of implants for me.

Politeness and respect will always get you a long way when dealing with others, I'd like to hope that that respect and politeness will be returned to me later when i can do buffs worth dishing out

Well, actually my favorite way someone can say thank you is a buff in return.
    This would be a great habbit for all players similar level to get into.
    Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury

I never tip people for buffs (unless a tip is requested). And when I am offered a tip for running IC, SFA, etc on someone, I will rarely accept it.

The one exception... if someone is "selling" buffs on the shopping channel, then I will tip the buffer (obviously, this person is looking to make some cred via offering a service).

Tradeskills are a different matter entirely. I always tip NP'ers if I need them (usually there's someone in the clan available to make 'plants). And for tradeskills other than NP, I'll ask "how much do I owe you?". Many craftspeople have fixed rates, & I feel this is perfectly fair.

Reason being.. every profession needs to raise nano skills for buffs etc. But no profession is required to raise their tradeskills.
    Lucas "Madhava" Graves || Gear
    Level 203 Chief of Staff Surgery
    Advisor of Synergy Factor

Chakra "Accessory" Red || Gear

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123