Thread: A small rant about story involvement

A small rant about story involvement

THIS IS ALL OPINION OR SPECULATION!!!

ALSO, THESE ARE BASED ON MY EXPERIENCES AND ON WHAT I SEE WITH OTHER INVOLVED PEOPLE

I hear a lot of complaints about the story being too closed or limited to a few people/older guilds. One day I was talking to some people and some theorys about why people feel this way came to me...

To start off, I've been fortunate to have had a fair amount of involvement in the story and the events as they stand, which I think makes me in a position to make these comments...

First of all, BE INTERESTED. This has a few parts... try to take part in many events, either player or FC. Funcom seems to pay attention to people who are involved, and additionally it gives them an idea of how you'll react in a particular situation which makes it easier for them to interact with you. A subsection of this (and this can be really hard) is find a position, and try to stay with it. If you go along with EVERYTHING that any GM says, you're less interesting, and in my experience less likely to be involved. Choose a position and stick with it.

Second, be INTERESTING. Engage with them... try to show an emotional reaction and make it as 'real' as possible. Also, come up with something original. I know this is obvious, but I'm trying to be complete.

Third be POLITE. I don't mean don't yell at them if its appropriate, but don't constantly harass them or ask about things they can't control (like game function). Try to remember that whatever is going on (probably) isn't totally centered on you.

Fourth be AWARE. My obsessive tendencies help me with this personally... Keep an eye open for when the Story elements are present, and go check it out. It never hurts to investigate.

A few side notes, It DEFINITELY helps to be a guild leader. This is both because you know about things sooner, and because being in such a position makes it make more sense for them to interact with you. Also, looking back at this alot of it is VERY obvious maybe... but I'm tired of some of the complaints. Its sometimes unfair, I'll admit but these things can only help your involvement.

Also a certain number of events are totally open, and for those none of these are necessary, albeit still helpful. Remember they listen to all the public channels all the time. (one time a GM totally freaked me out by replying to a comment about her by me on the Clan Leader channel).

I hope that this is interesting, and at least a bit helpful... Also, comments welcome! let me know how stupid I am!!!

Actually i agree 100% with you on this one, good point thumbs up

Thumbs up I second that!

Awesome. Well done!

- Sllaagor
    Clan Atrox Enforcer

Very well said. Though I think Funcom could help in these areas by being a little more consistent. They have let several interesting story areas completely fade away, areas that people were involved in. If they can get an arc going then the people already involved will stay involved and will pull other people in (either because they are friends or because they need their help).

The Manteze War could have been PERFECT! There would have been tons of opportunities for Funcom to organize strikes or recons or negotiating sessions or espionage or whatever. They could have just sent out a message saying "the Council needs as many adventurers and fixers as possible to carry out a reconnaisance, please meet X at Y for further instructions (OOC: this is ONLY for clan adventurers and fixers of levels 40+ or with run speed 500+)" and BAM, there are people involved in the storyline. After the event, the GM in charge asks them to individually email their reconnaissance reports to a specific address with a specific subject header. Then whoever files reports (after the GM checks the logs and makes sure they participated) will get a reward. Maybe XP, maybe credits, maybe a special profession-only bauble. Nothing unbalancing, just something from the Council to say "Thanks, we appreciate your hard work."

Would that take some time? Yes. Would that take a LOT of time, I don't think so. And it is exactly the kind of involvement that would give players a level of satisfaction that would keep them as paying customers, thus enabling Funcom to afford to do MORE of this stuff. The snowball can roll both ways, if Funcom can get it rolling in the right direction then everybody's happy...

Scorus

Originally posted by Scorus
    The snowball can roll both ways, if Funcom can get it rolling in the right direction then everybody's happy...

Scorus
    Sure about everyone? Captfallout dont seem to be happy about anything :P

back to subject:

I like this post, you make several good points.... for a clanner ;O)

These suggestions are all great, unfortunatly I have this underlying nagging. We Rubi-Ka 2 paying customers have not (will not?) get the chance to heed any of it. Not to complain too much, but none of the major groudbreaking events have ever been on our dimension. I know nothing any of you do can change any of that, but I feel that more people should stand up for Rubi-Ka 2 (which is what I am trying to do.) I know not as many customers play there, but we deserve equal treatment, at least I think.

I truly enjoy running and participating in player events. As it stand the only thing we have is player events. I would like some ideas & advice on how one might advertise more about the events that going on. I have submitted news to AO-Basher, AnarchyLore, and the Official site. Which site to you (other players) read? What else can I do to get the word around?

Also on a side note, I find it oddly disturbing that Funcom hasn't posted any news pertaining to Rubi-Ka2. I have submitted news about upcoming events, and about the event results, and nothing. I don't want to sound selfish here, I just find it very disheartening.

Feel sorry for us...please.
    Sepentura

"The future is in your hands."

Former Leader - Sea of Change