Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leveling alts (rant/need enlightenment)

Leveling alts (rant/need enlightenment)

I swear i have such a want to level alts these days but every time i log on its the same thing...

The one i want to level is my lvl 38 soldier (how i got there i still dont even remember, lol) and when i try to find teams one of three things happens;

1. There is almost no one to team with

2. After 30-40 minutes a team is finally assembled - member A can't find his way out of tir, member B dies on the way there, member C pulls the mission way too far for the people who don't have a yalm (my character does) it makes me wonder why they even have missions in areas guarded by red mobs or takes a hell of a long time to walk to for new characters at that level range who don't have very good run speed and have too limited funds to buy a yalmaha.

3. Most teams found are of people new to the game so their grip on their profession isnt the greatest, and are poorly equiped. I'm not trying to be an elitist here or anything though...but it seems theres always 3-4 dead at the entrance room and then people end up leaving after a shouting match in team chat...

I've decided that once i retwink ill prolly be able to solo some outdoor mobs like the monsters listed in the 'powerleveling' thread but i know that monsters have the 'hit twice' bug...you guys think it might be doable to solo mobs 20-30 ql levels higher even if they hit twice?
    "A man is someone who has a cause he's willing to fight for and has a woman in his life he'll do anything to protect."
    -SDI Ssgt. Port, USMC, MCRD Parris Island S.C.

Experienced Stars "Stromm" Nstripes - Retired

Fun stuff: 1 2 3 4 (NEW!!)

not sure if it would give you the speed you require

but remember that you can kill anything you can outrun with any ranged weapon class.

you are a fixer so you likely know that you only need to stop for a second when firing and an essence should take care of the hits you get.

wether the xp per hour is good enough i cant tell though - i have only done that with my fixer to teach myself kiting ao style and then i did not watch the xp i did it for the pure fun (that was close after the fixer love patch after which i picked him up again ).

i do understand where you are coming from though. i am not a heavy twink since i lack the patience for that thus my toons are never super equipped but i find teaming with absolute n00bs hard when i am not in the mood.

my solution was not to play a sub 70ish char when i am not in the mood .

*edit: oh and a few simple questions and how the team reacts to them usually told me wether i would stay in the mood...

like:
    you know you can upload the mission before selecting it to see wether the spot is good?

do you have an assist macro?

please stand in the front corners in the entry room thanks.

do you know what a mezz/calm is?

if you cannot get these things across to them or they react rudely because you mention them/ take charge of the team (happened to me several times when i was on with a female toon instead of a hunky male - sheez kids) then it is usually safer to just abandon the team ... trust me on that your nerfes will thank you (me has 2 accounts and no mules).
    Last edited by Blackwing; Jan 1st, 2003 at 03:20:29.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

At level 46 500k was alot of money.

Question eh?

Originally posted by Arthell
    At level 46 500k was alot of money.
    "hacken? what the hell has that got to do with anything?"
    - sean, hitman.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

Stromm, I find myself in the same situation as you man. Back when I first started leveling Xcelsius, what I did was create my own lowbie/newbie org, which I teamed with on a daily basis. Most of them were brand new to the game, so along the way, I taught them about implants nanos, twinking, etc.

I'd log deac in on occasion to help them get neleb's robe, etc, etc. It was a family and we had alot of fun together. I don't think I would have gotten Xcelsius out of the lowbie stages if it weren't for that little guild. Pickup teams drive me insane. Someone is always blaming the doctor for deaths, can't find their way to the mission, leave after one mission, etc etc.

I've got a new alt, a trader which I made strictly for making cash and tradeskills, as I'm 90% sure the whiners will get traders even more nerfed than they already are and I'm faced with the same difficulty as before. People that are new to the game are quite a bit more rude in the things they say to each other at times, as they can't see the big picture in terms of reputation. I've teamed with some really nice people, but I've also teamed with some real jerks. It's so easy to get into an elitist mode when someone that is new to the game is arguing about something you know to be a fact....*Sigh* Maybe I'll solo some outdoor bosses as well :/
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

They nerfed the PLing bug.. it's a real shame.

~Chris

Originally posted by Megabio
    They nerfed the PLing bug.. it's a real shame.

~Chris
    One of my favorites :\
    Yagyu for life

I mean.. it was just a way for us to get out of total boredom of level 1-50.. heh. /me sniffles

~Chris

It wouldn't be that bad, if people would just go outside and hunt dammit heh. But another problem is the total lack of people to team with.

Or, perhaps that Rk2 = defualt choice on new installs means that alot less new players are comming to rk1?
    Georg 218 doc
    [1809] PT
    Legion
    Web: [http://www.legionhq.org]
    Irc: irc.legionhq.org
    Ts: www.legionhq.org

by the time youve learned the game with one or more prof and you mane a seroius alt you should be quite albe to solo. hmm wait a min look at the lv range your talking about LOL
    you should be able to solo anyways. but i feel your pain looking for and participating in teams that lv, dont expect much from them as your probably used to experianced players with you..

I got a L48 NT, with only 14 tokens....

All other missions went belly up

/me hates being a low level char again
    • RK2: Dyna2 Enfo Dyna18 NT Dyna666 Keeper Dyna4000 Fixer Dyna27012 Crat
    • RK-Test: Dyna0002 Meta-Physicist Dyna90210 Fixer ( 05-02-2003)
    • Check my QL200 Enforcer implant designs at Auno.org: 1HE 2HE 2HB
    • Best custom map: Raiko's Map (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)
    • Best custom skin: Notum DovveTech HUD upgrade (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)

Omni-Tek is your friend!
    Elnertz: "I spend all my time making all the loot mine, all because there is no ****ing storyline!"

There need to be a place for people willing to spend ENDLESS night and days leveling from 1-100+.

Looking for uber team for 923582951289 levels kthnxbye.

Originally posted by Riokou
    There need to be a place for people willing to spend ENDLESS night and days leveling from 1-100+.

It might look strange to people, but AO isnt any fun past 35 till 190+, so having friends to team with, that know how to play and that dont mind making 10+ lvl /day for the people that are powergamer is a need.
    Stromm if your new toon wasnt clan i woulda team you i got a new toon on the way at about the same level and i made a xp team with other friends that re-toon also, we making 10-15 lvl /day then we go off to our mains.
    See if you can get other clanner that are willing to spend the time to level fast and you prolly can get a same kind of team going on.
    I did it when i realised newbies just wont spend the time to level fast. Thats what they want its ok with me, but its not what i want.

Ex: A gotta buy charges, B needs weapon, C has outdated heals and imps, D got no idea what to do, etc ..

We got one friend making our implants, getting our new armors/weapons so we dont need to spend time doing it.
    But again, thats only for powergamer, usual gamer wont have the time, the will and the ressources to do it .
    Infamine 200 soljah

Geez, I'm glad I'm not playing the same game you guys are.

Oi.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

Stromm, time and experience gained on mobs 20-30 levels above your own level versus time and experience gained on mobs 5-20 levels above your own level. I've found that when soloing the latter yields more experience, and tends to be less frustrating.

At 192 when I solo a Real Mean OT Diversionist (level 205ish) the process takes about 3-5 minutes and yields about 100k experience. Whereas, when I solo the same type mob in Veteran form (level 180-195ish) I can usually kill 3 in the same 3-5 mins for about 135k experience. Same holds true when I solo with my level 50ish trader. I can solo level 70ish mobs as well as level 60ish mobs. But, the time to experience ratio doesn't justify soloing the level 70ish mobs. So, I solo the 60ish mobs. They don't yield as much experience, but I'm killing more and faster which in turn makes up for the lack of higher xp per mob. (hope that made sense)

In otherwords, I think you're better off attacking mobs 5-20 levels above your own level instead of worrying about double hits.

I've found that on my alts under level 70, I can gain levels solo at twice the rate I can in pickup teams by just running regular indiv missions. The difference is experience. Lower-level folks are often still figuring things out and learning, which reallyslows things down. They make more mistakes, etc.

Sometimes I'm in the mood and have some time, so I'll actually get into a low-level team. If they let me lead and show/tell them some tricks and methods, things tend to go more smoothly. If not, I end up frustrated and/or the team ends up breaking up for any number of reasons.

It's not really elitist, it's just that I'm used to teaming with folks that are more experienced, already know the game mechanics, know how to play their characters most effectively and know how to work in a team.
    -=STRATAH=-

TFC coup co-conspirator
    Member of The Mocker's Naked, Co-ed, Full contact, Drunken, Synchronized Blitzing Team

-=The Mockers=-

Originally posted by Stratah
    I've found that on my alts under level 70, I can gain levels solo at twice the rate I can in pickup teams by just running regular indiv missions. The difference is experience. Lower-level folks are often still figuring things out and learning, which reallyslows things down. They make more mistakes, etc.

Sometimes I'm in the mood and have some time, so I'll actually get into a low-level team. If they let me lead and show/tell them some tricks and methods, things tend to go more smoothly. If not, I end up frustrated and/or the team ends up breaking up for any number of reasons.

It's not really elitist, it's just that I'm used to teaming with folks that are more experienced, already know the game mechanics, know how to play their characters most effectively and know how to work in a team.
    same here. There's been ALOT of soloing when I play with my alts

Originally posted by Riokou

ironically at times i wish there was a lowbie version of broken shores.

i guess ill retwink and try different places on the 'dyna' list...the ratio of time/kills is interesting and i'll have to check that out too. Though on my main i can solo stuff that will give me 100k exp a kill however going to do a mission gets me that amount in like 5 kills and that doesnt take long at all at higher levels, soloing can...plus the exp reward, but again pickup teams at lower lvls, they choose the slider on money instead of exp :S

Ty for all the advice
    "A man is someone who has a cause he's willing to fight for and has a woman in his life he'll do anything to protect."
    -SDI Ssgt. Port, USMC, MCRD Parris Island S.C.

Experienced Stars "Stromm" Nstripes - Retired

Fun stuff: 1 2 3 4 (NEW!!)

I haven't been in this situation for awhile so I may be wrong, but can't you just go to SW mines, NW mines, 20k, Bothackers, or shades and find a team to hunt with for a few hours? Thats how I got through to my mid 80s. Or does this not work anymore?
    ~Streaz~
    "Self Proclaimed Fixer God since Jan 2002"

Note: This account was stolen from me by someone I thought I could trust. I didn't realize what was going on untill someone from my guild contacted me and let me know what was happening. Funcom was gracious enough to give the account back to me, the original owner, but the account is deactivated for the time being and my main concern was just getting it out of the hands of an unsavory character. Sorry for the drama.

-Streaz

Originally posted by streaz18
    I haven't been in this situation for awhile so I may be wrong, but can't you just go to SW mines, NW mines, 20k, Bothackers, or shades and find a team to hunt with for a few hours? Thats how I got through to my mid 80s. Or does this not work anymore?
    we're all so stuck on doing missions (100-200 in BS), that we've forgotten how it looks like outside. Besides, missions are safer, more reliable and you get to have lotsss and lotsss of preciopussssss tokenssssissss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast