Thread: Crowd Control

Angry Crowd Control

Ok, FC
    Defending Base at EFP at coords 1580 1120, now I know it has its ups and downs and ill tell you that their is more DOWN to crowd control than thier is good, the reason, why the heck do I get warp all the way to 151 x 142?!, thats at the very edge of EFP
    Not only do I have to fly/run all the way back it is almost impossible to protect/fight. This is really annoying especialy if it were my base that is being attacked.
    I have a good comp/conn so i dont have bad lag like most ppl do, but thats absurd, if the 56ks cant handle it tuff, I would rather have the lag and have a better chance of doing something then getting warped out and not being able to do much of anything, so eaither fix it or dont even have crowd control at all....

Im afraid I have had to agree, it have made both the attacks and protection of towers all but impossible.

Add to that the other problems such as the rules of engagement - like a PvP enabled attacker still will be unattackable if he teams with a high lvl member of his organization.
    I could go on at legth at the latter - but skip that on this time.

Wink

You just gotta love being 'Moved due to over crowding' into a pvp area filled with enemies, or so far away you have no clue where you were. And yes, I've been waiting at those spots to gank people who's been 'moved' no fair but FC sets the rules

You should consider giving people 1 minute of PvP Grace when moving them, so they get a fair chance to get to a 'safe spot/zone into the new location' or get out, before getting ganked.
    Last edited by Merette; Jan 2nd, 2003 at 13:07:36.

i agree

I have been to tower raids a few times and allso experienced crowd control. Well....as i have a low range on my Manex i really have to run towards enemy cause i cant reach them (14meter range i think). That's when the problem starts - the crowd control moves me back and i just stand there and can't do anything about it. Really sucks. I mean put crowd control on ppl with lower bandwith? Or?.....i have 10mbit in/out so i have no problem with lag most times....ohhh wait, i ld'd once when i was on raid - when i logged back in i was not able to run and hp bar was completely empty, resterm :-( But most of the times things are smooth. How come ppl who play AO have the same client configuration? Can't they make it so that those who have better ISP uses bandwith better? i dunno...maybe someone with knowledge of this can give me an answer. maybe it's because that would give a better ISP the upper hand? Well, i'll leave that question to you guys. Would be interesting to know.

Ya,

Hey FC. Crown Control sucks. And whoever thought it up needs his head examined. The implimentation was terrible, the problems it caused were the result of NO for planning. And the points to where we get warped are completely 100% retarded. But, Since you guys programmed it, I guess I cant expect much beyond 20% functionality.

Here is a better idea to crowd control.

Get rid of it

Instead, re-write your buggy memory bloating code. The memory Usage in AO is nuts. Your programming sloppy. If you fixed the memory management system AO use's, I bet it could fix 80% of your LD/Warping/Lag problems. As it is, this is the most poorly written game I have ever seen. And thats ALOT of games.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Do the ones with lower ping pay more than me? I dont think so. You have to wait to play there same as me.

If i find out that cc and (scrotum wars<-----my analogy) is the reason my pvm game and rpging is borked with warping and such i'll..i'll...i'll wait for swg and leave like the thousands of others who plan too.The booster pack is crap and ruined the mechanics of the game.All the nerfs up till then was for that piece of crap.Crap crap crap.

crowd control is the devil

I was helping an Omni guild defend their base out in Clon**** when I got my first taste of the crowd control system. I was warped out of the battle zone, out of Clon****, and into a part of the map you can't normally get to (that's right - beyond the zone wall). Two other people were warped out at the same time. I had to send a /petition and tweak its priority ("I'm stuck outside the Clon**** zone wall!" rates as a Question? WTF?) so I could get back to the battle.

The ARK I spoke to about this (don't recall his name) told me that the devs knew about the bugged warp locations and were planning on fixing them. Of course, that could mean anything from next patch (highly unlikely) to when the expansion comes out.

FC, let me just lay this on the line for you in plain English...

The crowd control system is a weak excuse for lowering lag. It penalizes everyone for being in one place for too long. Have you ever noticed how crowded Omni-1 Entertainment is in certain places? What about near the O-1 Trade statue? Or the Newland City mission terminals? Or in Tir near the Fair Trade store? People are there to find team mates, conduct transactions, and get missions... all of which are vital parts of the game. Do you enforce crowd control on them? No, you don't. (These examples are all for RK1; I have no idea how RK2 or RK3 is.)

Then why in the name of Hades do you enforce crowd control in PvP, which you have claimed time and time again is now your main focus?

There are other, more viable solutions to handle this issue. Most of them have already been suggested to you. Listen to your customers. Fix the memory leaks. Get rid of unneccessary code. Upgrade your network. Upgrade the servers!

What's better: Having a game that runs like it is now with no one to play it... or having a game that runs better than now with tons of people just waiting to play it?
    Yep. I'm back.
    Ph43r.

Indeed crowd control is used as a tactic now. If you get a big enough team standing in the center of a base attacking the tower, it is impossiible for the defenders to attack them since they are pushed back. Crowd control was a nice thought but I too think it has created more problems than it has solved.
    ------------------------------------------------

-Gromph

"He's gone plaid!"