Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the point of having a tower under ql 200?

Originally posted by Snublefot
    And if the defender brought a lvl 50 atrox trader twink and a lvl 50 nanomage doc twink? Would you still be standing?
    Yes, becuase they did. I had litterairy 10+ people shooting at me + a full base. Hit me and die (CS dmg shield, RRFE dmg shield, bracers). Dmg shields rocks in low lvl pvp wars because the dmg is huge for that low lvl. HoT rocks way too much because it heals a lot more then any can do dmg.

Nynny my adv pvp-ed at that location for 4 to 5 straight hours, had to get rebuffed every 30 mins (hot/cs etc). Outside buffs are so insanely uber at low lvl that it isnt real hard. I ignored my attackers till they were nearly dead, then burst/flinged em.

Oh, did you know my custom reets do the same dmg while super debuffed by a trader then buffed? Or nearly. The min dmg on it rocks.

Check my screenies in my sig p

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yeah I'm back, no need to ask your ebay-check questions

I can see the result of this.. more lvl caps on nanos
    Operation impending doom 2 seems to have started with patch 15.6.5
    12.6 first contact, 14.6 second attempt, 16.6 Invasion of the gabber bots ?
    Old and bitter player, currently playing: Justincase GA4 wearing phix0r
    Originally posted by Cz
    I already saw this thread, but refrained from answering due to the pleasant show of confidence from Lumin.
    Sing a song for FunCom

Originally posted by Lumin
    I can see the result of this.. more lvl caps on nanos
    Which means stop this. Now.

Nerfs=EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL
    (yes, more lvl caps on nanos I would consider a nerf)

Don't whine about outside buffs. Instead, go twink your NCU to the max, and get 'em yourself.

That being said, there needs to be more advantages for the defenders in low-lvl Tower battles. As it is now, the advantage goes to the attackers based on the element of surprise; the attackers can gather/organize BEFORE attacking, wheras the defenders have to scramble to muster some sort of a defense while their towers are already being destroyed.

The defenders should ALWAYS have the advantage, imho. Attacking a base should have some very real penalties that you must suffer with/overcome to be successful.

How about an automatic -300(arbitrary number I picked out of thin air) to all inits for attackers? (scaled to level, of course). This would be independant(read: stackable, if it applies) of any other hostile debuffs from the buff towers in the LC area. Fewer towers would be destroyed while the defenders are trying to organize, and the assault would be harder once the defenders show up. As it is now, the defenders need some help imho.......the defensive towers don't attack reliably in my experience. And as I've said, the attackers have the element of surprise to organize beforehand and do MAJOR damage to the base before the defenders have a chance to respond. And for griefers who arbitrarily attack bases "for fun"........the init penalties should last 24 hours(because you suck ). Just my 2 creds.

edit: After rereading my post here, I like my idea so much I think it deserves it's own thread so more people can discuss it. I'll be reposting this and rewording it very slightly for this reason.
    Last edited by Nealandbob; Jan 8th, 2003 at 20:09:48.
    Nealandbob Headbasher Burninsword-RK1
    Deathfyst Tonofbricks -RK2
    Tonofbricks Nealandbob -RK Test embracing my inner Brat
    Finally back from Iraq
    Enforcers ONLY vote here!
    WoW-Pahani, Skywall/Horde and Barthilas/Horde
    "A good Enforcer dies a lot"-Deng
    "FC didn't create Enforcers, Deng did" -Tza

I think that when you enter a land control area in 25% or 5% all buffs you have that are out of your pvp lvl range should vanish. You could still get twinked for non-tower game play but it would get rid of the ridiculous buff twinking.

And no, twinking yourself to respond to twinks isnt a good solution. Not everyone has access to high lvl buffs, not everyone wants to cheat. Low lvl towers are there for low lvl players and low lvl pvp, not for high lvl chars using lowbies as uber buffed weapons.

The no buffs outside of PvP ranges stuff was added to prevent just what we are seeing: Healing and buffing lower lvls to give them an unfair advantage. Some players found a way around the new rules so they could continue to get an unfair advantage. I dont think that is what was inteded by the new restrictions. Isnt that a definition of an exploit more or less?

You can counter that by asking why the HoTs and dmg shields have no lvl req then; your high NCU gets rewarded by enabling good buffs.

It's a tough issue, but right now its not illegal to buff yourself up like crazy and duke it out alone at a low lvl base. My adv got petionned because some rather new people to the game thought I used some immunity cheat (darn I tried iddqd and idkfa and nothing happened ). I some some green names pop out and watch me now and then, but after 5 hrs of playing / killing etc I had no /tell from them saying I had to stop, so it was legal.

After the 2nd day I didnt repeat attacking the same base though; they'd nail me for grieving, which would be justified.

I'm not sure what solution would be best for this. I kind of dislike bringing level requirements on buffs, this is a skill-base game, not a level req game.

Lately the "superbuffing-attacking low base" happens more though. Unfair? I don't know; being superior should have clear advantages, but on the flipside those advantages may be too high. Ill just hope Funcom finds a solution to this, without killing the skillsystem of the game.

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

As letah say, it might be considered griefing if repeated. It depends a bit.

If a omni org attack my org, it would be justified to destroy their towers a few times (now that is of course depending on the orgs relative strengths ).

Other then that, don't put up a Omni tower in my backyard... If we need a base of category I or II, then of course we would destroy towers And finally, I would of course help an ally gain a base.

I just can't imagine myself spending days and days just killing towers because I can :O A raid in Omni land perhaps, but never just to grief another player...

On the topic. Low level controllers are usefull to high level players. Period. And its something about owning land. Period.

nonono.. dont remove "overbuffing"..! then my NT cant solo the boss in n00b dungeon anymore.. :[

Originally posted by Nealandbob
    Don't whine about outside buffs. Instead, go twink your NCU to the max, and get 'em yourself.
    I’m sorry to say, but this attitude is why I’ve finally decided to leave AO. I don’t mind, and in fact desire, a complicated or difficult game, but what I can’t stand is having to invest a huge amount time just to play.

Super long team missions, camping for loot, waiting for buffs and now twinking for PvP. Unless you devote a huge chuck of your life to the game, you might as well not play at all. I don’t want to have to twink BEFORE I can participate in the PvP conflict. I’d rather have PvP decided by tactics rather than gear. Why PvP at all if the outcome is decided beforehand?

Originally posted by Crin

I’m sorry to say, but this attitude is why I’ve finally decided to leave AO. I don’t mind, and in fact desire, a complicated or difficult game, but what I can’t stand is having to invest a huge amount time just to play.

Super long team missions, camping for loot, waiting for buffs and now twinking for PvP. Unless you devote a huge chuck of your life to the game, you might as well not play at all. I don’t want to have to twink BEFORE I can participate in the PvP conflict. I’d rather have PvP decided by tactics rather than gear. Why PvP at all if the outcome is decided beforehand?
    wont you agree someone who put time and money in equipement would have to be better? Else there is no use for it, and this is an equip and get better items game.

I do agree however that they should make a balance between the casual gamer and the twinker, because the difference between them is too much.

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Originally posted by Crin

Erm...I'm not a twinker by any means. I didn't transfer cash/items to any of the alts I have made. But this overbuffing situation is the results of common sense. So much so, I heard it on the newbie channel last time I had an alt that could listen to it (and smacked myself because I forgot to do it myself):

Invest in a set of Complit Implants. That way you can put them in, wear the NCU stuff you need, and take them out again to save yourself some IP
    That's how they get the NCU to receive the buffs. It makes sense, given the IP crunch newbies are in and the fact the NCU items increase in capacity at set levels. Anyone can do it without outside cash. And some professions actually need the NCU (geez, low level crats buff an insane amount to summon pets + charm + other nanoskills).
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Originally posted by Letah
    wont you agree someone who put time and money in equipement would have to be better? Else there is no use for it, and this is an equip and get better items game.

I do agree however that they should make a balance between the casual gamer and the twinker, because the difference between them is too much.
    It’s a matter of degree. Sure the person who puts the time and effort into improving their equipment should have an advantage, but it should never get to the point where it is an automatic kill. I just have this wacky notion that a player should be able to influence the outcome of a fight in the fight itself. If you can’t, then what is the point of fighting?

Also my problem isn’t that it takes a long time to improve your character, but that you must invest your time in large chunks. It is very hard to play for about an hour and get anything done at higher levels. You have to wait to find a team, or you have to wait in line to camp an item, or you have to wait to get the required buffs or… Then if you do team missions you have to stay online long enough to finish it. What makes Funcom think that just because my character gets to a higher level that I have more time in the day to play or that I even want to play more at all?

If you play your character 50 hours over 2 weeks or over 2 months you should advance your character about the same amount. (Yes, I know there will always be some economies of scale achieved by playing more hours at a time) That doesn’t happen in AO. There is a certain amount of overhead involved with each playing session, so playing fewer longer sessions is advantageous.

Back to my point in this thread. If I want to PvP I don’t want to have to waste the time to get uber buffed to stand a chance. The buffs don’t really affect gameplay. You buff. Your opponents buff. They cancel each other out. So in the end you are just wasting time. I want to be able to log in and immediately start to PvP. PvP is fun. Getting buffed for PvP isn’t.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12