Thread: People are exploiting PvP range in tower attacks

People are exploiting PvP range in tower attacks

yep like the title says, it really disapointing to see lvl 200 players attacking a lvl 100 tower wichever side of the conflict you are on, besides being somethng that isn't supposed able to happen.

There was the old team with a lower player "gank-orama" fests where many coweradly titles where earned, this is no better and although the 'exact' mechanics are unclear, lvl 200 players attacking a lvl 100 tower is clearley an exploit.

As far as know a GM is looking at this, and hopefully we can expect some fixes.

Peace
    cal
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Wether or not it's an exploit, it is such a sucky thing to just have to stand by and watch your base blown to bits by players 80 levels above you, not being able to retaliate.

I think that if you are within the lvl range of the controlled land, you should be able to fight back, regardless of attackers lvl.
    Bret 'Bothead' Bannister
    Member of Rising Phoenix

my guess is they team, let a tower attack the lower player then the team has agg and the higher can attack the tower. that would be my guess anyway.

Nope - if you team up, your attacking rage goes up as well

So...prolly an exploit - or unforseen bug wich the players should know too well not to take advantage off.
    Soldier Equip

Victory to the omnis! The Renaissance attacked Nemesis in theyre base in Mort. The attackers won!
    [Gimpybot] Kiwaczek: how the hell they plant ct 8 min before timer ? [Gimpybot] Zantezutske: another nice exploit? (The Renaissance built CT)

Vlain: I am milk every of yous!!!

Proud member of The Renaissance

I've said repeatedly that the pvp ranges are exploitable. Maybe people will start believing me now that it's starting to be used.

The ways to keep the ranges from being exploited are to always let "defenders" attack anyone, regardless of their level, or else to tie the ranges to the level of the LC area itself, and disallow anyone who isn't in that range from fighting anyone who is - even if it's by only one level.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Simple fix:
    When doing the level check to make sure that the target is in level range of the attacker, disregard team status. What sense does it make for a level 200 to be able to attack a QL 20 tower simply by being teamed with a level 20? Team status should not even be a factor in the level restriction check.

Another fix:
    Disallow teaming of people who aren't in the same level range bracket.
    .: Naraya :.

Originally posted by Naraya
    Another fix:
    Disallow teaming of people who aren't in the same level range bracket.
    Yes... teaming is an exploit

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Sad but same experience.

Yes, elsewhere in the PvP forum I posted about one guildless person who used this to his advantage - in addition getting hots from the higher level person.

We were completely unable to defend our installation (already lost both our tower and the defending structure several times.)
    With these kind of rules and opposition were unable to keep even a single tower for ourselves.

Originally posted by Jynne
    ...or else to tie the ranges to the level of the LC area itself, and disallow anyone who isn't in that range from fighting anyone who is - even if it's by only one level.
    Hmmm that's an interesting idea, but aren't there some 201+ patches of land? Other than that, it's a decent idea.

Originally posted by Ityn

Hmmm that's an interesting idea, but aren't there some 201+ patches of land? Other than that, it's a decent idea.
    Ah ha... but 150 is the "free for all zone" for attacks by people over level 150. Since 201 and higher is indeed over level 150... it just means that there is no upper limit on who can fight, and a lower limit of 150.

Edit: The way I mean this to work is that you take the low end of the PvP range for the level of the lowest possible towers, and the high end of the PvP range for the level of the highest possible towers, and use that as the level range for the area.

So in a level 100-150 area, the PvP range would be 80-200. For a 150-200 area, it'd be 120-200. For a level 30-40 area, it's be 20-50 or so.

The ranges would be wider than they are now, generally speaking, but the idea is to keep out "untouchable helpers" (if you aren't in the range, you can't help in any way) and to allow both attackers and defenders who are in the right level range compared to the base, rather than to each other, to participate fully in the battle.
    Last edited by Jynne; Dec 31st, 2002 at 21:35:40.

The land owners in the lvl range of area should be able to defend themselves against ANY attackers, no matter what level the attackers are or how teams are set up. Anything else is unreasonable.

If need be, implement different PvP rules for controlled land areas to make this work.
    Bret 'Bothead' Bannister
    Member of Rising Phoenix

as funny as it sounds

Originally posted by Jynne
    Yes... teaming is an exploit
    she is right

you can buff people you are teamed with in a pvp area regardless of level differences.

you cannot buff them if you are not teamed with them and out of their pvp brackets.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.