Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PvP Title change

heheh ya I'll give you that Insida, the freshman and rookies are like deer in headlights, but I've seen neo freeze up too on a few occasions. So I'd say a title CAN mean your comfort level with PVP. Coming from a FPS background I came to PVP never understanding what all these people were talking about, getting gitters in a fight, but then i see players do it and wonder, what was he AFK or something?

And it's funny to see some misconceptions about what mass pvp is about. I guess if there was no confusion and clear communication Agents and Soldiers working together could pick off some threats, but it just doesn't work that way. Also, there is some skill to PVP, I wish I could put my finger on it, it's not like a FPS where your aim, your reflexes and your judgment make your game, it's mosty just judgement in a swamp of rules. Maybe that's the biggest skill factor in AO pvp, good judgement.

Just going on what I've seen. Croud control is the biggest factor in mass pvp now a days. and I was talking about defenders when I meantioned agents and soldiers. It's not too hard to press tab...

And as far as skill goes in duels. Once you have pvp'd vs. every class a couple of times your going to follow the same formula. There is only one route to success for any particular class. Unless the other player messes up or fumbles, fights are determined by stats and cookie cutter template classes. Throw in random crits and such.

Say it's trader vs trader. If they are both experianced and both start deprives at same time then they will both flip over to their speedbars with lower deprives then throw out their incompetencies if appropriate and go from there. From that point on it's just a matter of deciding if they wanna use nano on heals or not.

And that's about as complex as duels get.

A fixer in a duel is gonna just throw out lucks fickle fate if he's fighting a ranged class.

A soldier's only job is deciding when to swich to flashpoint or supernova. when to mk is determined by the class he's fighting and the random damage he takes.

enforcer is timing his mongo's and making sure he presses all his special buttons. oh, and deciding when/if to flurry.

The nano based proffesions have a few more options but it's mostly just random. whether they fumble etc...

I don't expect balance in an mmorpg's pvp. I do think titles are mostly bunk. It's all about fighting classes you know you can beat or random crits and such.

My posts are not intended to be pointlessly negative but I will never aggree that a pvp title = skill.

My posts are not intended to be pointlessly negative but I will never aggree that a pvp title = skill.
    Uhh.. well what the **** kind of skill do you want in a turn based RPG?
    seriously

when should I use Nullity;
    when should I root;
    when should I alpha;
    when should I go full defense;
    when should I blind;
    when should I debuff...
    etc
    are all "skills" that add up to how you win a duel

I don't know what the **** you expect in a RPG..
    you want "skill" go ****ing play Quake 3 then.

I'd challenge you to a duel.. but then again i'm just a gimpy NT with no "skill"

yawn

I'm not a PvP player, hate duels and meaningless (to me) fighting in the arenas.

I could get into the mass-PvP of a tower fight, at the very least that has a little meaning to me.

On titles.... why not just have it so that if you start a fight, and flee it, it affects your title just like loosing a battle?

And while I really don't care about titles myself, I agree the current ones sound realy gimpy. "Freshman", what is he, in college???
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

Sead you must have skipped over the part where I said "nano based proffesions have a few more options". Oh and go die. My main is an NT too. Was a rookie for a short while before tower b attles. It's not skill your talking about with NT's. It's reactionary thinking based on previous experiance. "Lets see, that ma just dimached me and I have 500 hp left... maybye I should nullity!" Wow that's real f#$@ing strategy. Oh wait, sorry, I forgot your just a troll *flick*.

You win sead. You have so much skill I can't stand it. I can't win this argument with brilliant players like you around.

This will be my last post on this thread. F#$@ everyone that doesn't aggree with me .
    Last edited by Xolus; Dec 30th, 2002 at 18:54:14.

**** your an idiot, smotheredhope.

did you read my post at all moron?
    or did you just see I made a good point and decided to try and flame me?

gg *******

Originally posted by smotheredhope
    Or how about:

Gimp
    Ganker
    Griefer
    Twink
    Sploiter
    Share Cropper
    Farmer
    LOL

Smotheredhope the wannabee
    Smotheredhope the strong
    Smotheredhope the mighty
    Smotheredhope the fearsome
    Smotheredhope the unstoppable
    Smotheredhope the immortal
    Smotheredhope the immortal god of Rimor (Or that other place)

I agree that there should be some award attached to having higher pvp titles. Maybe something like a "Summon Hoes" nano that will isntantly spawn two fine b***es at your side. Maybe they could even add a little more bulge in my pants to show what a man I am. Maybe even a pimp suit with a furry hat and cane. Hell yeah, that'd work.
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Titles?

I won't go as far as to say they mean nothing but the system is very screwed up at the moment.

While its all good for a level 200 to run around untitled while at the same time we have level 1 masters gimping their way around the arena, it is just another aspect of the game that you can either pay attention to or ignore. If you want a title, fine. Go kill for it, go farm it, go gank for it, go do what you will to get your title and be happy with it. Just be prepared for the accusations of "title-farmer" or "title-hugger".....

Myself, I don't care about titles at all. If I happen to get one while the current system is in effect, I'll want one of you to come kill me so I can get rid of it. I don't want a title under the current system for many reasons, but the biggest of all: Titles give me nothing but the extra letters beside my name.

Now...if the title system were a solid one where there was something to gain by having a title other than a longer name, that would be a different story....
    Last edited by Naraya; Jan 3rd, 2003 at 02:15:36.
    .: Naraya :.

I vote TheDeacon head of Funcom content development!

Or how about adding + to skills as you get higher in the PvP titles?
    Alvador Proud member of [url=http://www.nanoclan.com]Storm

Originally posted by smotheredhope
    I vote TheDeacon head of Funcom content development!
    There are too many children playing this game for that....hehehe.
    .: Naraya :.

Originally posted by Alvador
    Or how about adding + to skills as you get higher in the PvP titles?
    I'd much rather have the babes!

Originally posted by loomus
    Pvp is the cancer of this game
    Actually, PvP is the reason for this game. There is a war going on. Not trying to flame you, but are you totally clueless of this fact?
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

Originally posted by Jellobiafra
    Originally posted by loomus
    PVP is the cancer of this game

Actually, PvP is the reason for this game. There is a war going on. Not trying to flame you, but are you totally clueless of this fact?
    Frighteningly enough, you're both right. Cancer and a reason, all in one.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12