Thread: Booby Traps

Lightbulb Booby Traps

I've been gone for while, only to find, upon my return, Death traps in chests. When I left the most damage that a chest bomb could do was like half HP. Now, it seems, they've upped the stakes, and I have died several times while trying to open chests, because I could not disarm the friggin traps...

I've tried increasing my disarm skill, but it doesn'y seem to make a difference. Has anyone researched and determined just how much disarm skill one needs to escape the snares of death in this situation?

If there's no way to know just how much disarm skill is needed, How many of us are willing to just arbitrarily open chests knowing that we could die and lose maybe 50k xp to chance?

so, far I have not disarmed one.

I think death chests are a bad idea anyway, the old way was much better...Who wants to waste IP on something that they only use maybe a fraction of a percent of the time?

I think it's bogus
    TILL ALL ARE FREE!!!
    (or at least most?)

Hi!

You are not the only one with that problem:
    Klick here

*shrug* my nanomage agent has never died to chest bombs... ever, been pretty close some times, but never died to one, even in a 100% mission.

hahahaha

i used to die so much fromt those.
    svendor lvl 206 nt
    Eternal fury
    LORD oF THE CLAW CAMP.

Well.... maybe it had something to do with making the Trap Disarm skill have a point?
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Like i said

I don't mind having the darn things explode and tear into me so much, it's dying because of it that I don't like. I've dumped a lot of IP into Disarm skill, but I still get killed. Just last night I lost 38k xp due to this ridiculously implemented idea. Mind you, it was lvl 53 mission. My disarm skill, which is dark blue, was at like 176 buffed, I tried to use the disarm tool 5 times, and everytime it game the nondescript message "Disarming the trap has failed", which either means it is armed, or there is no trap at all, go figure.

All I want is more info on what Disarm skill has to be in order to disarm the stinkin traps. Not all classes can afford to dump so much IP into disarm skill and still function as they were created to.

Keep in mind that this is an alteration to the way the game is played, it has not always been this way. And in true FC form, I don't think they've really fully considered the effects that it would have on game play. As it stands, I won't open another chest unless I get the message stating that I've disarmed a trap, so for all intents and purposes they could just put all armed chests in missions, and it would be the same.
    TILL ALL ARE FREE!!!
    (or at least most?)

You need to first search (action) chest before trying opening. If there is trap, chest glows and you can disarm it with bomb disarming tool. Don't remember how much it needed disarming skill - I stopped disarming chests after IP reset.
    Quit whining (.com)(tm).
    ... listening whining since 2001-07-21 11:12:43...

Perception skill

Doesn't searching the chest require perception skill?

Another dark blue skill for me. Furthermore, I think that perception has to be even higher than disarm skill in order to tell if a chest is trapped.

So, we're back to what I was saying. At this point the reqs for trapped chests seem to be too arbitrary, and FC can't expect peeps to just dump IP into something without have a good idea of what the reqs are. We don't do that with anything else in game. So, please, does anyone have info on what the exact skill reqs are for perception and disarming when it comes to trapped chests. A t this point I will only take a chance and open a chest if I'm sure it's been disarmed or if I've just lvled and I've already completed the mission task. Otherwise, It's just not worth it anymore. So, in an attempt to make a part of the game more interesting and meaningful, they have only succeded in making it unusable...
    TILL ALL ARE FREE!!!
    (or at least most?)

Re: Booby Traps

Originally posted by 1st Yeshua
    I've been gone for while, only to find, upon my return, Death traps in chests. When I left the most damage that a chest bomb could do was like half HP. Now, it seems, they've upped the stakes, and I have died several times while trying to open chests, because I could not disarm the friggin traps...

I've tried increasing my disarm skill, but it doesn'y seem to make a difference. Has anyone researched and determined just how much disarm skill one needs to escape the snares of death in this situation?

If there's no way to know just how much disarm skill is needed, How many of us are willing to just arbitrarily open chests knowing that we could die and lose maybe 50k xp to chance?

so, far I have not disarmed one.

I think death chests are a bad idea anyway, the old way was much better...Who wants to waste IP on something that they only use maybe a fraction of a percent of the time?

I think it's bogus
    I haven't been able to disarm one either, but you need Trap Disarm, b&e, and Perception. Along with a Bomb Disarmament Tool (needs to be used first).
    Rocco "Naels" Capone
    Atrox Martial Artist, Atlantean

Enforcer Is The Nerfest Prof <-- The dumbest thread in the entire forums!

Ctrl+2 - Actions menu, drop "search" action (magnifying glass icon) to your shortcut bar.

1. When you see chest or locked door click search couple times (sometimes you might not success first time). You need perception skill to this step (don't remember exact number).
    2. If there is trap in door or chest, it flashes and there should be message in the chat window that door/chest is trapped.
    3. Pick up disarm trap tool and right click door/chest, until chest/door is disarmed. (You need to have disarm trap tool) You need trap disarming skill for to this (don't remember exact number).
    4. Normally you need also unlock trapped chest/door after you have disarmed trap. Breaking and entry skill helps here.

Perception also effects how easily you detect hiding players... and it is also rumored that it allows you find more loot....

I don't think that you should use IPs to Perception/Trap Disarming (they need to be really high after level 100). Just get enough skill to B&E to open doors and enough hit points to open trapped chests.
    Quit whining (.com)(tm).
    ... listening whining since 2001-07-21 11:12:43...

If you don't die from the trap, then Disarm is still a pointless skill.

Re: Like i said

Originally posted by 1st Yeshua
    I don't mind having the darn things explode and tear into me so much, it's dying because of it that I don't like. I've dumped a lot of IP into Disarm skill, but I still get killed. Just last night I lost 38k xp due to this ridiculously implemented idea. Mind you, it was lvl 53 mission. My disarm skill, which is dark blue, was at like 176 buffed, I tried to use the disarm tool 5 times, and everytime it game the nondescript message "Disarming the trap has failed", which either means it is armed, or there is no trap at all, go figure.

All I want is more info on what Disarm skill has to be in order to disarm the stinkin traps. Not all classes can afford to dump so much IP into disarm skill and still function as they were created to.

Keep in mind that this is an alteration to the way the game is played, it has not always been this way. And in true FC form, I don't think they've really fully considered the effects that it would have on game play. As it stands, I won't open another chest unless I get the message stating that I've disarmed a trap, so for all intents and purposes they could just put all armed chests in missions, and it would be the same.
    Hey, nevermind the disarmskill - just get a good Essense buff or doc buff then youll be fine. You will save some IP's by not putting more skill into Disarm. Allso i don't know if you maxed Stamina and Body dev? But those 2 skills are important like hell!!!! Get a good Bright Life Implant (Chest - or any other for that matter, i'm dr so it fits me good). When i'm good buffed with HP i have over 5.2K Hp and have not worries at all. To tell you the truth i don't open chests that much but others do in team so....
    PS. Reset the disarm skill.....that stuff is for Fixers? or Traders?

Re: Re: Like i said

Originally posted by DrWiZzZ

Hey, nevermind the disarmskill - just get a good Essense buff or doc buff then youll be fine. If you think you don't have the NCU for it GET MORE! It's important!!! You will save some IP's by not putting more skill into Disarm. Allso i don't know if you maxed Stamina and Body dev? But those 2 skills are important like hell!!!! Get a good Bright Life Implant (Chest - or any other for that matter, i'm dr so it fits me good). When i'm good buffed with HP i have over 5.2K Hp and have not worries at all. To tell you the truth i don't open chests that much but others do in team so....
    PS. Reset the disarm skill.....that stuff is for Fixers? or Traders?
    Happy New Year!!

I thought this was going to be a thread about how incredibly lame traps are because they never kill anyone.

yeah... they don't... unless you're an opi agent or NM NT under level 50, you probably are not going to die from a chest blast ever. Maybe you could die from a rat, but the NT can at least calm it.

but really, beyond lvl 100 (which is extraordinarily easy to reach) I would find it surprising if you died from any sort of chest trap unless you had recently IPR'd body dev, or are still wearing Q30 implants.

Think about this : what is the reason to have trapped chests if you don't die? Is there really a consequence? Uh, you have to press X, press whatever hotkey is your treatment, and press X again. How inconvenient

As for complaining about the skills being dark blue - roll another character or FFS stop opening chests if it matters to you so much. And I play an MA with less than 200 B&E, I can't even open chests, and I've never come close to dying from a chest trap.
    ~ Nikki "Kitene" Darling ~
    4925867th lvl 200 MA. cookie plz!
    ~ Lady "Aerfalle"Aerlinthe ~
    4925867th 200 NT. Gimme cookie
    '.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.>Storm<.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'

exactly my point

That's exactly what my point is nikky, below lvl 100, which for most peeps is probably the first 4-6 weeks of game play, trapped chests serve no purpose in missions at all, because for many proffesions it's just too dangerous to open them. So, why even put them there at all. I lack the disarm skill and perception skill to detect them or disarm them. So, why even bother with them? For the 2k xp that I might get in return for a very good possibility of losing 10 to 20 times as much xp when I die?

The only logical result, and what I've heard many peeps say, is to just not bother with chests at all. So, if no one is using them, why are they even there?

Keep in mind, I'm mainly talkin about solo missions... Obviously, if i were in a team with a doc, and I had some spare room in my ncu for an hp buff, I'd get that.

Ultimately, all I'm saying is that if they're going to change the way the game is played, the least they should do is give us a better idea of precisely how the game has changed. To me, at this point, it seems ridiculous for people to spend any ip on disarm skill if we have no way of telling just how much we need.

By some peoples logic, every trap should kill you. Keep in mind that the traps are put there as an obstruction. Isn't that what the mobs are for as well? But even attacking a dark red mob does not necessarily result in your death. Personally, I on't think it was Funcoms intention to make these death traps. I think they just wanted to raise the stakes a bit when you open them. I think they should re-examine their decision, and modify it to make it work for all classes, not just those who can afford to amp up skills that are dark blue for NM and others...
    TILL ALL ARE FREE!!!
    (or at least most?)

THEY SHOULD KILL YOU TO GIVE YOU A REASON TO LET THE FIXER, AGENT, OR OTHER HIGH B&E/TRAP/PERCEPTION OPEN THE CHESTS.

Think about it. In a pen and paper game, if you run across a chest, who do you let examine it? The doctor? The warrior? Or the sneaky-thief type, who's actually good at it?

The whole point is to give people a good reason to toss IP into it. If you don't put IP into it, then it is, as it should be, a crapshoot to open a chest.

You need ridiculously little perception to detect a trap in the first place. Doors seem to require more than chests for some reason, but 2 x mission QL should be more than adequate for chests. My Engineer has dark blue perception too, but has never had a problem spotting a chest trap.

Cheers,

~R~ <-- has Search on his actionbar

thanks for the info

I must have been misinformed

I was told perception required 4 times mission lvl to detect...

As for the pen and paper game, I'm not in a team...usually.
    TILL ALL ARE FREE!!!
    (or at least most?)

I love the booby traps. Let me tell you a little scenerio that actually happened. I still laugh to this day.

Team enters Mission

Everyone agrees chests are for last.

Main room clear take first room on the right.

Draw aggro.

4 mobs.

We survive and low on HP.

Looter runs across room and opens chest with half HP.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Looter dies.

But I agree with Kiryat-Dharin, let the people who are best at that trade skill do the job. I'm not sure what lvl or preofession you are, but don't gimp yourself raising these skills.
    Last edited by Abecus; Jan 2nd, 2003 at 22:34:24.
    8-)