Thread: Folks ... what exactly Add All Def. means?

Folks ... what exactly Add All Def. means?

Like Add All Def. 30 on Vagabonds cloak

noone seems to be able to explain

Its not a great amount, and it means it adds to your AggDef rating.

ie, even tho your at 100% agg, your evades work like they are slightly down towards Def.

Im not sure what the whole aggdef scale range is, I think its 2000 but dont hold me to it.

For refrence, Grid Armor MK4 adds 2100, so you can be at full agg (and get all the benifits with your inits) but your evades work like your slider is all the way down on def, giving you the best of both worlds. This is what makes it hard to hit GA FIxers, considering most run with GA + maxxed evades + down on the aggdef scale with a 1.5/1.5 weapon like the Sol.
    IMI Tellus TT Advocate.
    Helsinki Dual wielding Tellus Soldier
    Chlamydia Combat Medic "turn right and cough..."
    Heygimme Gourmet baby chef and connoisseur.

30 to evades? or 60 as its bugged? ;p

Originally posted by Helsinki / Chlamydia
    Its not a great amount, and it means it adds to your AggDef rating.

ie, even tho your at 100% agg, your evades work like they are slightly down towards Def.

Im not sure what the whole aggdef scale range is, I think its 2000 but dont hold me to it.

For refrence, Grid Armor MK4 adds 2100, so you can be at full agg (and get all the benifits with your inits) but your evades work like your slider is all the way down on def, giving you the best of both worlds. This is what makes it hard to hit GA FIxers, considering most run with GA + maxxed evades + down on the aggdef scale with a 1.5/1.5 weapon like the Sol.
    WRONG! Add all def. adds to your defense rating, just as add all off. adds to your attack rating. Add all def. items basically add equally to all 3 evades (duck, evade, dodge), but not nano resist, parry etc.
    Obit lvl 218 Soldier (Field Marshal)

A lot of this would be cleared up if you could view the affected stats. I know you are right about the attack rating because I can run a crat speed that is "add all off" and I can actually see my attack rating go up in stats. But you dont see your evades literally go up when something "add all off". Probably because its not literally evades, even if it has the same effect.

AddAllDef got nothing to do with aggro bar, or evades. It affects your DMS, like AddAllOff affects your AMS (Attack Rating).
    I don't know the exact formula of it, but when you attack its like your DMS (addalldef + evades etc..) vs. attackers AMS. So, you dont get hit very often if you have high DMS (like GA).

What thirdeye says.

AggDef (modifier) is what effects the Agg/Def bar, not Add All Off/Def

~Chris

Smile

hmm ... pretty much - as many replys, as many versions ... what in short means - this is another thing about this game noone really has a clue about ... and Funcom is too lazy to explain. (a manual would be nice)

Here here!
    WTFM!
    Sometimes people get a clue from the devs though, in interviews and stuff I think. I think sometimes some players are lucky enough to get info in little disjointed bursts, and they spread that info, but since they are too lazy to make a gameplay manual, it gets spread from player to player and gets changed a little bit on the way. Unless someone quotes an interview (yes, that's a challenge people, quote some official source please! Prove what you are saying!), or some official source, I just sort of take any information given as heresay. I don't care how confident some of these players sound.
    Sometimes you can get some proof though, for example you can actually see your attack rating in stats, so you can know without a doubt if something affects that stat or not. But if they just let you view your aggdef rating, def, xp bonuses, and other stats, it would really clear up a lot.

Take team level for example, some say it adds to def, others say its an xp buff, and even others say its both! It depends on who you ask.

WTFM!!!!!!

Arrow

AddAllDef adds to your defence rating which is primarily derived from your defensive skills (whichever one is relevant in the situation) and the setting of your agg/def bar. There may be other things that affect it, but they are the main ones by far.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

See previous post about players confidently saying they know exactly what it is, without referencing any official documentation, postings, or even results of doing some in game testing. Just "It is this" without anything to back it up is pretty meaningless.
    It's about as meaningful as someone in a team saying "hurry up and loot the bodies so the camp respawns", then people just repeat it as if its fact, and never question or test it.

Arrow

I recall some of this stuff has been discussed at least in generalities as far back as before the beta. Of course, it may have changed since then...

Your right, no player knows exactly how it works. We don't even know if AddAllDef does work since we don't see it... though even if we did we couldn't trust it (see AddAllOff...)

However, the generalities in my previous post are how we have been led to suppose its meant to work (in general at least) from the bits and pieces that have been let drop. But your right to the extent that all that might be so much BS... seems unlikely though.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

We can guess that AddAllDef works by adding to evades by observing Grid Armor.

A GA fixer, at any aggdef setting, will evade better than a fulldef fixer in normal armor (though the fulldef fixer does fine).

Therefore, it probably doesn't have anything to do with the aggdef bar, and instead probably adds directly to your evades rating.

Do I *know* this is true? No. But is it the best explanation? Yes.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Now we're talking.
    I just wanted to get that settled first, I saw a lot of posts with people posting as if they were 100% certain and know how it works. If we want to talk about best guesses, that I can talk about.

Here's one interesting item I found in the db:

http://64.106.154.149/showitem.asp?AOID=84188

Bracelet of Pacifism, it says it renders the wearer unable to attack, and it has the effect of "AggDef -50"

I've never seen this in game, so for all I know that might not even correctly prevent people from attacking. I mean I could down a cup of crat coffee to get me +18 aggdef, giving me -32 aggdef instead of -50 and maybe able to attack. Hey maybe thats why it isnt in the game (I could be wrong, at least i've never seen anyone have this item).
    But the fact they chose -50 is kind of interesting, maybe 50 is the max it can end up being?

And for "Add all Off" we know is attack rating because we can see it.

And people are assuming "Add all Def" is basically evades, because, as you said, with grid armor things miss a lot. But grid armor also gives a big buff to each evades. I wonder why they did both def and evades unless they work differently somehow?
    I can understand wanting to give an "add all off" buff, but not wanting to add to every weapon skill, because its a nice way from preventing people from using the effect to equip weapons like a wrangle, instead it only makes you do a little more damage and hit more. But with def, why not just add to all def and not give any evade skills (dodge ranged, evade close, duck-exp).
    Also with the crat speech Heroic Measures, that gives +310 def, and at least I think things miss more, but I can't be sure.

To make one point, AddAllDeff does NOT add to evades.

In fact it works the other way. The ammount of evades that you have, adds to your Deffensive rating, which is a skill just like Attack Rating (as previously said)

There is assumed to be some minor multiplier to this based on level.

There is also a base deffensive skill, just like there is a base % chance to critical.

Add All Deff makes your deffensive rating go up just as Add All Off does. However we cant determin exactly how it works because we dont know if evades adds directly to Def or if there is a modifier.

Add All Def DOES NOT have anything at all to do with your agg/def bar.

This is as much as any player knows.
    215 Solitus Soldier RK1
    Advisor Midnight Reveries.

Do politics exist? Yes.
    Who's involved in them? Anyone who wants to be.

If you spend your time worrying about what everyone else is doing in their lives, you'll miss what's happening in yours.

A bit off topic here but i actually think it is GOOD to have these kind of mysteries in the game.
    Sure it sometimes feels frustrating when you don't know how some buff works or does it even work at all but in the end i think it's good. Like in AC the Devs told people EVERYTHING - every formula the game had was thoroughly explained. For me it pretty much killed intrest in the game as it became a 'war of the numbers'. In AO you have to learn these little things by experimenting. I like it.

Chosto

I guess that's a difference of opinion then.

EQ for example, you can't tell in game what any of the buffs do, you have to read web pages. I like how in AO you can mostly see what everything does exactly. I think I'm kind of spoiled by that, and I only want them to go even further and just show absolutely everything, add crit modifier, def rating, aggdef modifiers, everything to the stats window so players can view it. Then you can outfit yourself with whatever sets of items and see what your numbers are after you're done.

I like some mystery too, but I dont enjoy mysteries in the game system. I would rather have exploration and discovery in the area of all the different items (and nanos), and getting to know all the different monsters, etc..

Document the rules. Don't document content.