Thread: My first MMORPG

My first MMORPG

This message should prolly be posted somehwere else, but i'm posting it here, for now,

I just want to tell you about my experince with AO.

I remember ordering my credit card in the bank, since I had just got my hands on this fantastic Online multplayer game that requiered a small payment to play each month.

I got the game 3 days after ordering it, and waited another 10 for the damn card. I was like a little child again, waiting for that Credit card, as I was so damn excited about getting online, and finally playing the game. I read a little about the professions, a little about the gameplay, and read about game quests etc. to make time pass, wich had the effect of me getting even more excited to play.

It turns out that the day that I got my credticard was the day for pathing to 14.6. (More waiting)

I finally got online, and made my first character.
    I was impressed by the graphics in the game, and couldnt quite understand funcom stating that you only nedded a 56K to play the game.

I played for 10 straight hours before my GF dragged me of to bed.
    I played more and more as the days passed, and met some very plesant people online, some being kind enough to give me a little spare cash, just to get me started.

More days passed, and I experienced that black doors for the first time. The lag that I had, I expected, it is MMORPG after all.
    But the black doors i had not. some more days passed, and the lag just got worse. I came to Newland for the first time, and i acctually thought my computer froze. The lag there was of another world. I was impressed i didnt get kicked of server, as i lagged for 5+ seconds at the time, and i took me 2 minutes to move from the Newland whompa entrance to the Newland Dessert Whompa entrance. From that day I have tried to avoid NL as much as I can. Well, I have played for about 2 months now, and have 4 Characters. and lately I feel the lag has gotten, if possible even worse. Back in the early 90's when i had my 486 i got a memory "expander" program to expand my memory, as RAM was VERY expensive back then, wich resulted in me buying a new motherboard the next week. Since that day i swore to NEVAH use any so called memory expaning programs. Guess what i am runnning now? Mem Turbo.

The meory demands for AO is huge. Well, relativley huge I guess, it CAN run on 128, but I wish i had 512.

The mem program makes AO run a little bit more smooth. Not much, but keeps me from smahing my keyboard when I get killed from an mob I couldnt see.

Ok, enough rambling, the servers are up

My point is, The game is great. People whining about nerfing, and game being unfair etc. etc. obviously havent tried programming, and understand that a program can run problem free on 1 computer, and utterly crash on another.

If you think the game is unfair, or the profession you put 350 hours into is nerfed, understand that thats what roleplaying is all about. I read something about MA being nerfed, or was it NT or? -whatever. you get an character, with certain downsides, and you play the character with the downside that are made obvious to you, and rely on you strong sides, as in real life. Some of us cant put 2+2 together, but is more articulate than the most. While some of us is more or less mathematical geniuses, but can barely make oneself understood. I hope you can see my point.

I have played Rolepalying games for quite some time.
    And I have found out, that playing an "uber" character is not fun... It is fairly easy to make an Uber character, but playing an "challenged" character is tons more fun.

Errh, i just keep on rambling dont I?

Trying to get to the point =P

I guess what i am trying to say is;

Funcom has done a good job, so far.
    A bit too high RAM requirements perhaps.

All the players whining like little crybabies, should try playing some reolplaying IRL, and try to give funcom a break once in a while. They are nust normal people like you and me, trying to make a living from what they enjoy the most.

I remember back when I first started...was real fun learning all the things..

for a couple of weeks then I started to whine like everyone else

Most of what u say is true.But you havnt played long enough to know what most are whining about.I could give you a list but youll find out for yourself.When you log on after a patch and your toons stats are all of a sudden meaningless because they have halved something or nerfed something all together.One example is with ga,my main alt is a ga wearing fixer.After a patch it was decided that no rings xp, power, or otherwise could be used with ga anymore,no bracers nothing.They didn't put this in the patch notes(wich they dont give anymore) but just did it.Now it may be a small change but it makes u understand that a perfectly good alt can become crap with 1 patch,crit nerfs,scope nerfs,imps,I dont have the time or patience to list everything they have borked.Paying for notum wars as a booster pack was the sleaziest.Everything in that pack was geared as more game content,All it has done is make the lag worse ,warp you all over creation ,stall battles yada yada yada except you have to pay to be screwed.So you really dont know of what you speak.Oh and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

(PVP balance is the cancer of this game)

Yes... let's not balance PVP.. let's just let a couple of classes blow the rest away..

It's funny how much I like this game until I come here and see all the other people whining about the most idiotic things in the world... what turns me off the most about this game is the people in the game, not the game itself... funny how that works..

There is some truth in what he said about being so powerful, it becomes boring. When I was playing Ultima Online, the two most powerful professions were taming, and provocation. So after trying a few others, instead of joining the nerf cryers, I made a new character. This character was a GM mage, tamer, provo. As far as Pvm was concerned, you would have been hard pressed to find another toon that was better. What I found was that to grandmaster taming and provocation, was a job truly for the addicted player without a life. Anyone could GM a warrior. But holy crap was it tough to GM those two. But when I was done, there was nothing in the game I couldnt take down. I could enter the pvp areas with serious pets to back me up. I spent a couple months controlling every aspect of the game. And then, well, and then it got boring. When you experienced everything in the game, no one mob or player could take you out, what the hell was left? So far, I'm not even close to that here. I hope it never happens.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

Yes... let's not balance PVP.. let's just let a couple of classes blow the rest away..

It's funny how much I like this game until I come here and see all the other people whining about the most idiotic things in the world... what turns me off the most about this game is the people in the game, not the game itself... funny how that works.. -----------------------------------------------------
    Hey fanboy
    pvp balancing has borked the game for everyone period.Not everyone pvps but they have to suffer with the changes to balance it was the point.I always played pvm and have had 2 good toons gimped beyond help because of ridiculous nerfing.Crit nerfs whatever.So if you dont know what your talking about be the silent fanboy.
    Last edited by Poppyfex; Dec 27th, 2002 at 04:18:03.

The original poster here is admittedly new to the MMORPG scene. So, while he is correct, to expect a little lag, and a few problems here and there, he has not been here to see the larger picture, or played other games to compare.

He will play, and he will learn. As it appears he did not play prior to 14.6, he doesn't know how much the lag has grown after 14.6 went live, because he didn't play before then. He hasn't had a weapon his character was tailored towards nerfed beyond usefulness, or removed from the game, never to be dropped again. He hasn't gotten to the high-level game, where he has to run mission after mission to get the BASIC equipment his character needs. It would appear he hasn't bothered trying any trade skills, to find out what a useless pile of cr** they are.

He also hasn't been ignored and lied to by Funcom yet... well, he bought the game, he listened to some lies.

But I have seen all this happen. And I'm sure other people could list more. But these are just some of the reasons my account is canceled. Less than 30 days to go....
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

I have 512MB of ram in my box and I still get bigtime hiccups whenever I enter NLC or Trade. Guess I need to go to 1024MB already....:\
    .: Naraya :.

It's just a game.

Also since there's competition (Yay for competition! Boo on monopolies!), you can just try other MMO-whatever games that come out, and if they do a better job, just switch.
    Just realize FC doesn't care what we think and its less stressful. Nowhere on the website does it say they listen to players. There is probably a reason for that.

yes 1 gig o mem is the sweetspot. my harddisk goes to sleep. dunno if it spins anymore...

You know whats funny?.. were so spoiled that we are used to get what we want when it comes to nerfs... one nerf... want one more... and another.. and more... etc etc... and then we justify it some way... :P

Bad thing is that your probarly right..

Forums suck
    RK1 - Hajk - Solitus - Lvl 217/DR 16 - Nanotech - Apocalypse
    ---
    Explorer 60% / Socializer 53% / Killer 46% / Achiever 40%