Thread: Make tradeskills worthwhile

Make tradeskills worthwhile

After playing Neocron for a while, I have to admit they have done one thing very right, that Funcom has done very wrong.

The tradeskill made items (weapon, armor, etc), are alot better than what can be looted/bought/camped. Thus, it makes being a tradeskiller actually worth something in the game.

There was one good tradeskill item in this game, the Emergency Treatment Labs, and I really can't see them being much in demand anymore, since they blind you for 30sec or something.

Lich × Finalizer × Dictator × Vanguard × Techno Arch-Wizard × Godfather × Eternalist × Saviour × Deity × Guru

'People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use' - Kierkegaard

There are good tradeskills in AO, like armor building.... but why must they require a really rare tool ? Tradeskilling shouldn't be reserved for the rich and high level and extremely lucky. It's stupid.

I have to agree

I have a trader that i focused on trade skills so that i may help my guild mates. Problem is if you don't have a PPE your pretty much SOL and are religated to giving out wrangles.

At the very least maybe they could make a PPE that can be bought but only in the trader shop and is profesion specific.

Maybe we could get some items in the trader only stores that traders can actally use. Kinda like the Fixer store where they have a tools to remove clusters from implants. Oh thats right, that should be a trade skill also, but it was given to the most power full profesion in the game already.

So as things go trader will still focus on deprives and offesive skills and be the pvp king but forget ever having a trader be a trader.

Stop whining please

Man if you want to feel like a social outcast .. just play an engineer.. we are suppost to be the best a constructing and engineering items.. are we?? ARE WE HELL.. we dont get any self buffs for trade skillz, no roots, snares etc.. no deprives, no heals,no weapon skills that are usefull or initiatives that can be usefull (everything being dark blue accept pistol and grenade) ac buffs that are about as good as a chocolate teapot and as protective as cling film. Pets that run away or get stuck or hump walls and tables for no good reason, no self nano skill buffs to create better pets.. well I could be hear all damned day.. at least you have a purpose and a reason to be in the game and can be a valid and usefull member of a team, not keep apologising throughout a team mission because the bot`s stuck again or get asked for the 20`th time to do beacon warp again. So before you spout off about being less uber take a look around you.

BUBBABEBOBOB social outcast or egineer to the sarcastic.

Re: I have to agree

Originally posted by Bilnius
    I have a trader that i focused on trade skills so that i may help my guild mates. Problem is if you don't have a PPE your pretty much SOL and are religated to giving out wrangles.

At the very least maybe they could make a PPE that can be bought but only in the trader shop and is profesion specific.

Maybe we could get some items in the trader only stores that traders can actally use. Kinda like the Fixer store where they have a tools to remove clusters from implants. Oh thats right, that should be a trade skill also, but it was given to the most power full profesion in the game already.

So as things go trader will still focus on deprives and offesive skills and be the pvp king but forget ever having a trader be a trader.
    Tradeskills, not traders. Go back to eating babies.

The complaint about it being hard to be a tradeskiller applies across MANY classes. NTs, MPs, traders, engies, fixers all have very viable tradeskills, but no real reason to raise them. Docs could have viable tradeskills, if they could build ETLs that didn't blind and nano-restorers higher than QL125 (or even Emergency Nano Kits). Crats were once upon a time going to have usable paperwork tradeskills.

Don't complain about implant disassembly - anyone can use the tool, a fact which fixers have every right to complain about, and do. And coming from a trader, the "most powerful profession in the game" comment is laughable.

Get over it, and support tradeskills, not traders.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Tradeskills

Theres a couple things that could be done to make tradeskills worthwhile.

1) Give real XP for tradeskilling. 3-5 times what is currently given. Who gives a beerfart weather you get your levels via killing mobs or assembling implants? Theres room for both in this gameworld. It would STILL be more lucrative XP-wise to kill mobs, but at least the option to do something else then the mission grind or hunting.

2) Make player-assembled items better then stuff you can buy in the store or loot. This would be a HUGE enticement to get folks to do trades (which a heckuvalot of folks want to do anyway). Someting as small as a few more points of minimum damage would be a real bonus to using a player-built weapon, for example. Additinaly, the better you were at a particular tradeskill, the better the finshed product could be as compared to an identical store-bought item of equal QL.

3) Maker's marks. This has been mentioned elswhere, but it would be soooo dang cool if items we made bore our names. Maybe not implants, but armor/weapons and the like. For example, "ill-treated blackened blaster rifle, by Redtaype". I like the sound of that!

4) More access to the tools you really need to assemble stuff. PPE's are a glaring example. I have NEVER seen one drop as boss loot. Perhaps Im just unlucky. The point is, there are items that you =need= to secure to do certian types of tradeskilling, and these items are vanishingly rare. Make em worth a king's ransom, but put em into shops. Take it one step farther and perhaps only put them in class-shops, like fixer or trader terms.

(note: I can easily see how point 3 could cause database problems. So we're not likely so see it. But it would be undenyabaly cool!)
    ++++++++++++++++++
    Swing
    199 Solitus Engeneer
    Omni-Tek, TestLive
    "It used to be that brave heroes would go out into the darkness and slay monsters. Now that we've banished the darkness, we've discovered we're all monsters."

If FunCom really would like to make people happy, add instructions to build all/most armors from scratch.

just my 2 cr
    ~Ralakan
    w0t0 Guild leader (No longer Retired )
    Chief Engineer, RK2