Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why 100%

Not to mention towers-vs-mobs. Train aggro mobs into someone's base if they are 75% gas and root them there to fight the towers.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Originally posted by Kiryat-Dharin
    \

Yes there is. A big one, that has nothing to do with code.

"Marketing agreements."

Other than that, I think your concept has merit. The implant for PvP one, I mean.
    Marketing agreements have to be negotiated and signed. If they had done such a thing without first considering the existing playerbase, they need a new head of marketing....
    .: Naraya :.

Originally posted by p0is0n
    Wont work (the implant suggestion) Same thing was implemented in Neocron, and it sucked badly!

Infact.. because of that implant, there is NO PVP AT ALL in neocron, no one can be bothered to remove it, and camp a area for hours in hope another would be pvper is gonna walk along to fight pfft.

Would ruin whats left of the pvp in ao!
    Maybe it sucked like hell in Neocron, but so does the rest of Neocron. And I'm not suggesting a straight rip of the feature. In Neocron, if the chip was in, there were several other restrictions along with the no-PvP restriction. The implant I'm suggesting would only restrict PvP, nothing else. It would restrict it as follows:

-If the implant is in, wearer cannot initiate attack or be attacked by another player. Wearer can still be attacked by wildlife/monsters/NPCs.

-If the implant is out, wearer can initiate attack on anyone else who has removed it regardless of location. Double-asterisks on each side of the character's name should be used to inidicate persons who are un-implanted against PvP.

As for outside interference:

-The implant will break should the wearer use any friendly nanoprogram on someone who does not have the implant in and is in combat/has agro from another player. In this case, the wearer is immediately open to attack and if they wish to keep implanted from PvP they must go to a store and buy a new implant (they should cost like 2cr and req 1 in treatment to put in).

...and that is it. No XP restrictions, no character advancement restrictions, nothing like that. It would simply be an implant that restricts PvP activities and nothing more.

The implant idea is bogus. Where would be the fun in Camelot? What's to stop people from positioning their tower attack forces jussstttt right while invulnerable and then taking the imp out? What's to stop people with the almighty implant in from just pwning any possibly viable hunting spots? Too many loopholes there. I think the solution is simple to just make more areas 25/0% EFP & SFH used to be 25%. Mort was 25% too for a time. I don't know about the statuses of Upper Stret East and West Banks, but those were 25% too. PW, DAV, CAV, SAV, and Belial were all 0%. Now there are none, count 'em, ZERO 0% zones. Come ON FC! They upped suppression to get people to go hunt, but it's obviously not working. If they put suppression back down and offered more xp for the central chaos zone mobs, I know I would be out there in a snap. Those that don't want to take the risk will just have to be doomed to missions.

By the way... towers count as people. You can't attack towers in 75%. Regular personal towers will also not help you if you get attacked by a mob. Service towers are there for that job.
    Intenseheat: Omni MA, ph33r teh ub3r l337
    Preeminence: Omni crat - hopelessly gimped - lost 180K IP trying to reset skills - ph33r teh ub3r t33th
    Omniwins: Omni soldier, always winning

I'm just an ass that happens to be smart.

Originally posted by p0is0n
    Wont work (the implant suggestion) Same thing was implemented in Neocron, and it sucked badly!

Infact.. because of that implant, there is NO PVP AT ALL in neocron, no one can be bothered to remove it, and camp a area for hours in hope another would be pvper is gonna walk along to fight pfft.

Would ruin whats left of the pvp in ao!
    Whoa, here's someone who never played Neocron.

First thing every player does in Neocron is remove their LE chip (the implant that prevents PvP). The reason they do is beause all items have higher use requirements for LE chippers and less XP is gained while wearing an LE. On top of that, you can't join a clan in Neocron until you remove your LE. If you are in a clan and put your LE back in, you are automatically booted from the clan. The LE chip in Neocron is only really to help folks get aquainted with the game first. It's primarily used as a newbie protector because it very quickly becomes too penalizing to keep in.

i think this is totally beyond the point

Originally posted by Intenseheat
    The implant idea is bogus. Where would be the fun in Camelot? What's to stop people from positioning their tower attack forces jussstttt right while invulnerable and then taking the imp out? What's to stop people with the almighty implant in from just pwning any possibly viable hunting spots? Too many loopholes there. I think the solution is simple to just make more areas 25/0% EFP & SFH used to be 25%. Mort was 25% too for a time. I don't know about the statuses of Upper Stret East and West Banks, but those were 25% too. PW, DAV, CAV, SAV, and Belial were all 0%. Now there are none, count 'em, ZERO 0% zones. Come ON FC! They upped suppression to get people to go hunt, but it's obviously not working. If they put suppression back down and offered more xp for the central chaos zone mobs, I know I would be out there in a snap. Those that don't want to take the risk will just have to be doomed to missions.

By the way... towers count as people. You can't attack towers in 75%. Regular personal towers will also not help you if you get attacked by a mob. Service towers are there for that job.
    the point is if you could toggle a switch that made you pretend pvp in ao does not exists and live happily ever after - maybe it blacks out some forums as well - do you think there will be people left who pvp?

at all?

and if not and the bug fixes and content patches start flowing who would care?

the argumentation that everybody is free to choose that gets fielded by the pro pvp people just rubs me the wrong way.

fact is that most people DO NOT CARE for pvp.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

Originally posted by Intenseheat

I'd love to see all of it go to 25%, but with the ratio of PvPers to PvMers right now, FC would be utterly stupid to do so unfortunately.

The imp idea. To answer your questions...

Where would be the fun in Camelot?
    How would the imp affect what scarce fun is there now? No imp, go play. Imp, go do tradeskills in trade or something. The conceptualized method of removing/installing the implant would require that the user not be in combat anyway and the last time I was in Cam, I didn't see a surg clinic. Granted there are portable ones, I don't see someone going through the trouble of trying to sploit it in the midst of Cam when attempting to remove or install would ideally take more than a minute.

What's to stop people from positioning their tower attack forces jussstttt right while invulnerable and then taking the imp out?
    Nothing, but why would you do it anyway? If you're sittin at the opposition's base with the chip in and CC doesn't remove you, taking it out would require use of the portable surgery clinic (locking treatment for a good 5 minutes a believe) and enough time for the opposition to setup for the moment you do take it out.

What's to stop people with the almighty implant in from just pwning any possibly viable hunting spots?
    What difference would the implant make in this case? The implant would not make you invul to NPCs/Monsters...just other players. You'd still be able to get attacked by NPCs & Monsters with the chip in.

Like I said earlier, I'm not suggesting a straight rip of the feature. The chip affected too much stuff in Neocron. The imp I'm suggesting here would affect PvP and PvP only. Its effects would be transparent in the PvM aspects of the game so that the PvMers out there won't have to worry about this thing messing up their game.

Funny thing is, if they ever did implement something like this, I'd bet that only 5% of the player population here would have the balls to remove it....

ps: edited so that it doesn't insult or label the PvMers...
    Last edited by Naraya; Jan 7th, 2003 at 02:51:01.

Originally posted by Naraya
    <snipped some good argumentation>
    Funny thing is, if they ever did implement something like this, I'd bet that only 5% of the player population here would have the balls to remove it....
    Rather, considering the state of PvP in this game, it would be more like 95% of the player population would have the good sense to leave it in.

The remaining 5% would remove it not because of their courage, but because they are a Trader over level 150, or any profession but Crats, MAs, and Engineers over level 180, or else very bored.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

The part of this whole debate that annoys me is that people feel they have to label other players with a ridiculous and fairly insulting term "carebears" because they always. occasionally, or sometimes choose not to PvP.

I personally enjoy the challenge of pitting myself against another player from time to time... because a player will do things that are unorthodox... sometimes stupid... sometimes brilliant.

But... there are always people who seem to be decendants of the table top RPG "Rules Lawyers" who investigate every bit of the mechanics of the game to give them every possible advantage in a fight... whether those mechanics were intended to function in that way or not. In the old games, the GM could override the rules for the sake of the game as a whole... but in the computer world, we're stuck with the coded rules.

This means that tactics, character development, and actual originality/innovative techniques... are very often defeated by people who could care less about how the fight goes... just as long as they win. And that... just annoys me... it takes the fun and enjoyment out of PvP... and so most of the time, I just don't bother. I'm both smart enough and analytical enough to figure out these mechanics too... but thats not what I'm here for... and so... I have been, on several occasions... labled a 'carebear.'

Oh well... I suppose those of us who would consider PvP if it were actually based on merit and intelligence will just have to continue to suffer under the boots of our superiors, the great and mighty PvP'rs. Since we are flamed and mocked any time we present evidence of why PvP is flawed... it becomes obvious to me that we must be stupid, ignorant, and lowly newbies to even think we understand what we're talking about.

I guess I'll take my fluffy blanket and go back to running missions.

Originally posted by Jaesic
    The part of this whole debate that annoys me is that people feel they have to label other players with a ridiculous and fairly insulting term "carebears" because they always. occasionally, or sometimes choose not to PvP.

I personally enjoy the challenge of pitting myself against another player from time to time... because a player will do things that are unorthodox... sometimes stupid... sometimes brilliant.

But... there are always people who seem to be decendants of the table top RPG "Rules Lawyers" who investigate every bit of the mechanics of the game to give them every possible advantage in a fight... whether those mechanics were intended to function in that way or not. In the old games, the GM could override the rules for the sake of the game as a whole... but in the computer world, we're stuck with the coded rules.

This means that tactics, character development, and actual originality/innovative techniques... are very often defeated by people who could care less about how the fight goes... just as long as they win. And that... just annoys me... it takes the fun and enjoyment out of PvP... and so most of the time, I just don't bother. I'm both smart enough and analytical enough to figure out these mechanics too... but thats not what I'm here for... and so... I have been, on several occasions... labled a 'carebear.'

Oh well... I suppose those of us who would consider PvP if it were actually based on merit and intelligence will just have to continue to suffer under the boots of our superiors, the great and mighty PvP'rs. Since we are flamed and mocked any time we present evidence of why PvP is flawed... it becomes obvious to me that we must be stupid, ignorant, and lowly newbies to even think we understand what we're talking about.

I guess I'll take my fluffy blanket and go back to running missions.
    Sorry for insulting you mr PvMer...

The lawchip from Neocron was like that.

You started with it in, but could rip it out which took like 10 min so I got pissed off ever time I made a new char.

You would gain Xp faster with the chip out but if you died you dropped all the items in your quickbelt (weapons, healing supplies and other drugs), only other people without their chip in could take the loot though.

I dunno why i said all that because it has no relavence to this game though ha

Another Problem

Another problem is that this isn't a RPG. Sure you take on a persona, but you do that in almost every video game you've ever played. The problem, as I see it, is that there is no reason to PvP.

Most of the time the point of an RPG is to play a role, not to kill things/people. Yeah there are a lot of people out there with that misconception, and some mis-represented video games that are sold as "RPGs" simply because they have slightly more story-oriented play.

I believe most of this community would like to see real conflict and real change, something that's very difficult for game designers to implement without getting a huge amount of flames. Right now it's like a sugar-coated pebble. You get this neat framework, but when you bite down you hurt your teeth.

I would like to see dynamic NPCs/quests that are based on Land Control. I'd also like to see some reasons to fight. I'd like to see some Omni oppression, or clan viciousness in the name of freedom, those concepts that keep bringing me back, yet when I return, never see them. The things that I expect in the world aren't there.

I want to see the mines where the atroxes and opifexes work. I want to see the areas that are notum rich have nanomages that come and go around there to get more "in tune".

/me sighs

I guess I really want a reason to go IC (in character). Right now I don't have one. Very Few others are. As a player, I don't dislike another player because he/she chose the other side. So I don't care too much about killing that toon based on a light framework that isn't even in the game effectively.

So much potential this game has, so much hidden potential...and it just gets ignored because the gaming engine hasn't been worked out, or some element of the population isn't happy enough.

I also think the population distribution is all wrong. I can't see how the clanners can survive without the OT orbiting ships just blasting the cities away. I think there would be more outside influence and/or people who were smuggled onto Rubi-Ka. I really don't know why the game mechanics would choose to make Neutrals such a minor part of the game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12