Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why 100%

Why 100%

Why are the bases at 100% suppression for 16 hours, rather than the normal outside 75%?

i believe it was probably designed that way to discourage people from hunting (those few that do) around towers. cause if they werent keeping an eye on the tower's timer, they'd all of a sudden be in a 25% zone. or something like that. and it might of made the towers vulnerable to attack as well.. not sure how the are setup.. though prolly like an npc/mob/character. they can all be attacked in 75% (well, not pvp) gas.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Several of my lowbie hunting grounds are now 100%... blah

100% is weak to begin with. Supression gas is weak. Nuke the concept.

PvP should be the choice of the player and it should be a choice made based on whether or not the player has a certain item equipped. Make it an implant that goes in a new slot that takes like 1 minute to equip/de-equip and can't be de-equipped when in a fight.

...then get rid of the gas.
    .: Naraya :.

LOL

I love that idea. I could give a flying F%%% about PVP. I never ever had a chance at it anyway. i'm an adv. Ive been playing the game for over a year and have constantly seen the game being changed for PVPrs. Whatever. Every part of the game in one way or another has been changed for PVP. And I laugh my butt off at the fact that they cheated all of you into the NW thing. Something they promised to add to the game but instead are now charging you more money for because they are losing so much from the player base declining. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH they are sucking it out of you PVP'rs here. And you all just open up your wallets for them. So go ahead and tell me how wrong I am about this, I'm looking forward to someone defending their purchase and stating that they wern't cheated. I dare you.
    War is Hell.

If you're talking about the 20 bux that I paid for the box & CD (which makes a great coaster, thanks FC) that gave me the key I needed to enable Notum Wars on my acct, then no...we weren't "ripped off" as you put it. Our monthly fee doesn't change based on our PvP status and I think that the concept of Notum Wars is great. The implementation needs a lot of help, but nonetheless it has its promise. The care-bear, camp-for-uber-loot concept of MMORPGs got blown out of proportion with Everquest and had this game taken one more step in that direction after ubermobville came into existance in the outdoors, I probably would've given my inv to some random newb and left.

If you're talking about the distribution method of that key, then yes...several people were ripped off in terms of time. There's no reason why NW couldn't have been made available for existing players through the launcher (I write code....I know). Shelf exposure is a great marketing idea, but you shoot yourself in the foot when you make it the only reliable channel for your existing customers to obtain it: existing customers know when it is coming out, customers which you hope to attract with the "cool looking box on the shelf" marketing technique aren't easily attracted when there is no box on the shelf after your existing playerbase bought them up the moment the store clerk opened the Fed Ex box. :\
    .: Naraya :.

Originally posted by Naraya
    There's no reason why NW couldn't have been made available for existing players through the launcher (I write code....I know).
    \

Yes there is. A big one, that has nothing to do with code.

"Marketing agreements."

Other than that, I think your concept has merit. The implant for PvP one, I mean.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Wont work (the implant suggestion) Same thing was implemented in Neocron, and it sucked badly!

Infact.. because of that implant, there is NO PVP AT ALL in neocron, no one can be bothered to remove it, and camp a area for hours in hope another would be pvper is gonna walk along to fight pfft.

Would ruin whats left of the pvp in ao!

well, then. that should tell you that the people that put it in obviously didnt want to pvp. So, you're worried the pvp would end on rubika. hmm i think maybe the large amount of people who dont care about pvp might actually have a say after they (funcom)see the lack of pvping. then the game might actually get content instead of them making booster packs for PVP and PVP alone. there is no incentive for me to buy it. the yalms? ya. they were promised as content. However funcom seen that my prior statement was true and hoped to catch a few people who dont pvp with the yalms. go ahead and tell me i'm wrong.
    War is Hell.

Originally posted by p0is0n
    Wont work (the implant suggestion) Same thing was implemented in Neocron, and it sucked badly!

Infact.. because of that implant, there is NO PVP AT ALL in neocron, no one can be bothered to remove it, and camp a area for hours in hope another would be pvper is gonna walk along to fight pfft.

Would ruin whats left of the pvp in ao!
    Dunno, when I played Neocron it seemed like everyone took their chip out. Having it in just had too many drawbacks, like increased requirements on equipment and slower XP gain. Don't think you could join guilds without removig the chip as well.

But there was a lot of griefers, and I wouldn't be surprised if they forced people to start wearing the chips again.

If the gas weren't 100% you could attack the towers, I think. Towers might be MOBs. So, if it were 75% you could attack the towers and noone would be able to harm ya.

As for everyone keeping their chips in in Neocron, that just goes to show ya that the 10% rule regarding PvP is truer than ever. A consistent 10% of people in MMORPG's desire PvP. Hasn't changed in 10 years and probably never will. Those who want to PvP in online games flock to Quake, TFC, UT, etc. You do yer PvP and die or kill and when the match is over, you restart.

MMORPG's simply will never have the philosophical mechanics to entice people who have spent months and years putting their soul into a character into engaging in something they despise.

I kinda like the way PvP has evolved with Notum Wars. It needs some tweeking to prevent the griefing going on, but it's a refreshing twist on it. Can't wait to see how SW: G handles PvP. That system looks like it could potentially trump AO.

PvP in AO is a joke.. not only that 99% of all areas are closed for PvP, you dont even lose anything.
    I remember PvP MMORPG games where you lose all your stuff when you die and it was always an adrenalin kick when someone attacked me...
    Here, you lose only a bit time: 6 minutes recharge at the reclaim and some minutes to get back to the location. This game is called Anarchy Online, but from Anarchy isnt anything in sight. The Booster Pack is called Notum Wars, but from Wars isnt anything in sight......

So why isnt the game totally open to PvP, means get the rid of this stupid supression gas?!

Currently this game should be called 'Carebear Online' - everyone has only 1 goal: missionrunning for xp and stuff.

And keep this post on topic:
    The 100% is just another 'well overthough' idea of FC... instead of making the towers only attackable at 5-25% and not at 75%, they decided to destroy good hunting grounds, make hunting grounds exploitable and screw outdoor hunting again......

BS missionrunning has got a huge boost again, since 14.7.1 or why do I need 2-3 minutes now to zone into BS or into the missions? Ah, I forgot... could be a bug as well...
    No need to PHEAR ME! anymore - Im gone

Because if the game was totally open to PvP, it wouldn't have enough subscribers for FC to maintain the game servers.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Look at Shadowbane dude... this game is designed around PvP and GvG (Guild vs Guild) - its still in beta, though, but the ppl like it....
    No need to PHEAR ME! anymore - Im gone

Originally posted by Sethil
    Look at Shadowbane dude... this game is designed around PvP and GvG (Guild vs Guild) - its still in beta, though, but the ppl like it....
    That's not what I have been reading. Nobody likes the badly thought out PvP in Shadowbane, and that is the big reason it has been delayed so many times. They can't figure out how to balance the PvP, and nobody wants to play it.

Of course, you can't balance PvP in an RPG game, but that's another story.

People don't want to PvP in RPG's for the most part, period. It's because you have built a character. 90% of the players feel attached to their characters and don't want to expose them to the perceived humiliation of being killed by another person.

DAoC addressed this to a degree by making PvP somewhat anonymous. Sure you may get killed by someone from another realm, but the game tries to make it feel like yer getting killed by just another MOB.

I'm not trying to put down or prop PvP. Just explaining why it's been a steadfast 90% of the RPG community who don't enjoy it. I thoroughly enjoy it as long as it is done in the spirit of roleplaying. Unfortunately, that's rarely the case in most RPG's. Just look at the nonsense on the PvP forums. A lot of people don't want to get pulled into that muck.

Unreal Tournament, Quake, Team Fortress Classic all have a loyal following because you make up a name, enter the fray, die or kill and the game is over to start all over again. Pick another name or another profession if you want to and do it all over again. No attachments to your character if you choose not to.

To turn the topic of the thread around, I gotta say that 100% gas sucks ass big time because it's basically ruined outdoor hunting. You can't find a decent place to hunt due to all the damn 100% gas everywhere. Look at the Undead City in TLR for a prime example. A fine place to hunt Bileswarms totally destroyed by a tower smack dab in the middle of the city.

u deserve it cold! *points at & laughs*

Bionitrous what u just said sounded more like addiction then anythin else.. o_O 90% addicted to MMORPG..
    want a sniff out of zimmy's gluebag?

My guess is 100% is there so towers don't auto-attack opposing players. If it was 75% then towers would attack hostile players, and if the players couldn't fight back that would be lame, and if they could that would mean you couldn't defend them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast