Thread: 2 Towers **SPOILERS**

2 Towers **SPOILERS**

I read the posts in another thread, and didnt want to put spoilers where someone who hasnt seen the movie would see them, so forgive the spam.

Well, Here goes...

****NOTE: MOVIE NOTES AND OPINIONS TO FOLLOW!!!****

I followed the film for about 90 min until the HUGE differences between the movie and the book distracted me.

Dont get me wrong, it was a great movie, and I plan to spent the $50 to buy the enhanced DVD with all the extra goodies when its released.

But it strayed SO far from the book it was hard for me to keep from thinking "Now thats not right..."

Main points:

-Gimli has been turned into a bumper sticker. He is a one liner spewing comic releif. His role has been totaly trivialised.

-Faramir is a joke. In the book he was the second son of the most powerful king in Middle Earth...Passed over by his father in affection and attention for his older brother Boromir. Frodo confides in him what his errand is, and it is a test of Faramirs character as to what he will do, as Frodo and the Ring are at his mercy. He choses to set them free to complete their quest rather than risk his city and fate on the ring. Not so in the movie. He takes them back to Gondor...(which by the way is almost destroyed at the time...dont know how they will fix it all back by Return of the King).

-Theoden was NEVER a wussy. Even when Grima and Saruman had him totaly under theis sway, he was never the whimpering simp he was portrayed as being in the movie.

-The Ents were turned into gutless turds. "oh its not our war"..."This does not concearn us" ...Utter Crap. Treebeard and Quickbeam knew what was going on, and after the Emtmoot, they marched to war with authority befiting their noble (but tragic) race. In the movie its more like "This isnt our problem, can I give you a ride?

-Here is the bigest thing that bothered me. Parts of the story were changed for no discernable reason. THere is a part where Aragorn falls over a cliff into a river. Not only did this not jive with the book, but it had no reason behind it. And the bomb Saruman puts in the sewer grate...Why? The story was there already, and I understand that some has to be left out because of time constraints, but why ADD content that has no place?

Well, rant off, it was a cool movie, and I think that book devotees should see it once to get all the finger pointing out of the way, and then go see it again to enjoy the film.

My only other naging thought is that people who see the movie first will be the oposite of me, and look at the pages thinking "Now that didnt happen..."
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

**MORE SPOILERS**

Frodo dies in the end too.

I didn't like the Gimili treatment either, though I barely remember the books (I have a terrible memory and I read them 7+ years ago ). He's a goddamn warrior, not a clown.

...though I gotta admit I laughed at every single joke they made out of him.
    Last edited by Evilspork; Dec 24th, 2002 at 08:41:28.
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

In the movie, I think that it was actually a lesser town that Faramir took Frodo to, that was overwhelmed before the attack on the main capitol of Gondor by Sauron.

Other than that, I agree with you.
    Ernest "Zane0" Bunke - Equipment - Perks
    Obsidian Order
    Advisor

Fix 200+ Engineer Slayers

Re: **MORE SPOILERS**

Originally posted by Evilspork
    Frodo dies in the end too.

I didn't like the Gimili treatment either, though I barely remember the books (I have a terrible memory and I read them 7+ years ago ). He's a goddamn warrior, not a clown.

...though I gotta admit I laughed at every single joke they made out of him.

2 Towers **SPOILERS**

:P

Re: Re: **MORE SPOILERS**

Originally posted by Riokou
    2 Towers **SPOILERS**

:P
    Boy, too bad I didn't put anything in the topic of my post about that.
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.

More spoilers and rants...

Although the movie was great I was also dissapointed at the vast differences between the movies and the book. In the Fellowship, the creators of the movie did quite well following the book, the only additions being the americanisation of the characters and language and the only major deletion being the removal of the barrow wights(sp?) and Tom Bombadill. However, in the Two Towers there were major additions, most of them pointed out in the original post, plus there were also major parts taken out such as the parley with Saruman when Gandalf cast him from the order of the istari and grima dropped the palantir out the window. Also, since Faramir took Frodo and Sam back to Minas Ithil(I think) which actually had been lost by the time of the Return of the King, Minas Tirth being the main setting for that book and the capital of Gondor the ending of the Two Towers was also totally skewed totally leaving out Frodo being captured by orcs and then Gollums's betrayl of Frodo to Shelob which was actually the last thing that happened in Two Towers which I assume will be added in Return of the King. A final addition that was not mentioned in the first post was the elven army at the Battle of Helms Deep which was never actually there. There were originally more soldiers at the fortress and a forward position where the battle actually started(not with some conscript accidentally loosing an arrow). All in all I am just concerned that an entire generation of Lord of the Rings fans will be left with something totally different than the original novel, a fear greatly hightened when a few days ago while Christmas shopping I walked by a Walden Books only to see a "copy" of Two Towers which was actually an adaptation based on the film. Why read the original novel when there is a nice, doctored up, easy to read version based on the film?

Re: Re: Re: **MORE SPOILERS**

Originally posted by Evilspork
    Boy, too bad I didn't put anything in the topic of my post about that.

You didnt say it wasnt for TTT :P

Read the books folks, Frodo don't die.
    In lieu of a better signature, this'll have to do

Re: Re: Re: Re: **MORE SPOILERS**

Originally posted by Riokou
    You didnt say it wasnt for TTT :P
    Yeah, I'm sorry, I should have posted that in a thread specifically about the Two Towers, my bad again.
    Hi.

And the worst spoiler of all..check down to read..
    still reading? Just a little bit more..
    Darth Vader turns out to be Luke's father. Gasp!

Oh wait, wrong trilogy...sorry!
    General Hershel "Kasimir" Jurik

President of Division 9 R.S.G.E

Fixer
    RK-1

Braumiester of the Pagan Bartenders, wielder of dual SSo8s

Stealer of hearts, creds, and anything not nailed down!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi.

Originally posted by Kasimir
    And the worst spoiler of all..check down to read..
    Darth Vader turns out to be Luke's father. Gasp!

Oh wait, wrong trilogy...sorry!
    well, thank you for ruining THAT movie for me!

I WAS looking forward to seeing the third movie, but now? pfft!

Trivia

When filming the battle of Helm's Deep the makers used a computer programme called Massive, where each person has its own "mind", making it far easier to generate huge battles, because each person can be allocated a "side", and will then react/fight accordingly, in a variety of different styles (depending on the circumstances they find themselves in), rather than having to create/program each army member individually.

The first time they used this for the battle of Helm's Deep, the defenders of Helm's Deep ran away.

lol