Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the Girls?

Question Where are all the Girls?

I just recently started to play AO, and I find something quite odd about Rubi-ka. Why aren't there more girls playing? I for one find the game to be very entertaining. And the biggest thing that gets me frustrated is when everyone asks : are you really a chick?
    Is Rubi-ka really that sparse on the female gamers?
    I hope I'm not a minority here! I think more women are out there?
    Please tell me I'm not wrong.

I'm here...

And I'm sure I can get you references if in doubt
    Last edited by Poetica; Dec 24th, 2002 at 11:16:33.
    Best regards Juliet Poetica Capulet (female solitus trader lvl195 - poet by heart, Oh Romeo, - who need Romeo?) Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
    "Not all who wander are lost." (John Ronald Reuel Tolkien)
    "To Dare is to risk losing your foothold for a moment, Not to Dare is to risk losing yourself." (Søren Kierkegaard)

Anaïs Manifestos Nin (female solitus mp lvl 171) Member of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Angel Heroess Heart (female solitus fixer lvl 102) Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Luna YangYing Lee (female solitus MA lvl 75) Unit Commander of Legionaries
    Meow Wyxxen Meow (female solitus doc lvl 74) Applicant of Legionaries
    Destiny ZorZereZ Decay (female nanomage nt lvl 57) Applicant of Legionaries
    Kittie DarkGodess Catt (female solitus soldier lvl 39) Applicant of Legionaries
    Modesty PlayGirl Blaise (female solitus engie lvl 19) Member of Legionaries

I'm here....oh no wait, im not a female, just the letch that causes most legitimate girls to quit...
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Re: Where are all the Girls?

Originally posted by Aelostar
    I just recently started to play AO, and I find something quite odd about Rubi-ka. Why aren't there more girls playing? I for one find the game to be very entertaining. And the biggest thing that gets me frustrated is when everyone asks : are you really a chick?
    Is Rubi-ka really that sparse on the female gamers?
    I hope I'm not a minority here! I think more women are out there?
    Please tell me I'm not wrong.
    the thing is, playing games has allways been a 'boy-thing'. Yes, there are alot of girls playing games, but the majority are still boys.

Those few girls that DO play are in many situations afraid to let people know they are real-life girls, because there are so many jerks among us boys that would instantly toss several hundred 'love-letters', hoping to be able to mate with the girl of their dreams (i.e. a girl that play games, and hopefully even the same game as 'us guys'). I suspect that gaming girls do not want to get hit on hundreds of times per day, so they don't reveal themselves as girls, rather pretend to be a boy playing a girl toon.

*shrugs*

I guess there are more girls than you think, but still more boys than girls. Btw, if you DO want to meet boys, gaming communities are filled with them

One tip, though. When people ask you if you're really a 'chick', say no. Just to see their reaction. Or simply say 'none of your buisniss', which it isn't unless you want it to be.

Heh.

Most of em are afraid, cause there's so many psychos and stalkers out therem but I know a few

I met the love of my life on an online game (Not AO), As cheesy as it sounds. And trust me, she's very much a woman
    General Hershel "Kasimir" Jurik

President of Division 9 R.S.G.E

Fixer
    RK-1

Braumiester of the Pagan Bartenders, wielder of dual SSo8s

Stealer of hearts, creds, and anything not nailed down!

*Puts her hand in the air*

yes there are some of us girls playing, as others have said, more than you would think because alot dont like to advertise the fact, either because they get lots of guys hitting on them, or they get abuse about being guys pretending (really annoying )

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Well....

I must admit I started playing this game cause my ex played...

And I've always admitted to beeing a girl (but some don't believe it?? since there are so few of us)

Sure I've been hit on, but in worst case theres always the /ignore. Sure I could just answer "I'm a guy" or "none og your business" but then i get a lill mad... Cause I should not have to lie? Even if there are jerks out there...

My "in-game" bf has sometimes been quite shocked on how persistant some guys are. Even if they know we're "involved in-game"

And lucky me, I did it again: I found "someone" and he plays AO too
    Best regards Juliet Poetica Capulet (female solitus trader lvl195 - poet by heart, Oh Romeo, - who need Romeo?) Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
    "Not all who wander are lost." (John Ronald Reuel Tolkien)
    "To Dare is to risk losing your foothold for a moment, Not to Dare is to risk losing yourself." (Søren Kierkegaard)

Anaïs Manifestos Nin (female solitus mp lvl 171) Member of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Angel Heroess Heart (female solitus fixer lvl 102) Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Luna YangYing Lee (female solitus MA lvl 75) Unit Commander of Legionaries
    Meow Wyxxen Meow (female solitus doc lvl 74) Applicant of Legionaries
    Destiny ZorZereZ Decay (female nanomage nt lvl 57) Applicant of Legionaries
    Kittie DarkGodess Catt (female solitus soldier lvl 39) Applicant of Legionaries
    Modesty PlayGirl Blaise (female solitus engie lvl 19) Member of Legionaries

I'll hollar if I find a girly (prefferably with giggles so we get "girly giggles")
    Operation impending doom 2 seems to have started with patch 15.6.5
    12.6 first contact, 14.6 second attempt, 16.6 Invasion of the gabber bots ?
    Old and bitter player, currently playing: Justincase GA4 wearing phix0r
    Originally posted by Cz
    I already saw this thread, but refrained from answering due to the pleasant show of confidence from Lumin.
    Sing a song for FunCom

Actually, according to an unofficial survey, 43% of MMORPG players are female. That's probably way off since it's unofficial, but it's still a bit reassuring.
    Ernest "Zane0" Bunke - Equipment - Perks
    Obsidian Order
    Advisor

Fix 200+ Engineer Slayers

Re: I'm here...

Originally posted by Poetica
    And I'm sure I can get you references if in doubt
    I wanna see those references! Send 'em to demonsguile@hotmail.com

PS... I whole-heartedly believe in your womanhood, but I still wanna see the woman behind the poetry.
    Demonsguile 204 MP HYDRA General
    Korrupshun 147 Trader (The MP anti-thesis)
    Renown 104 Enf (King of the Ring, before OE patch)
    Bloke 76 Keeper
    -He who angers you, conquers you.
    -Those who complain the most, do the least.
    -Goals are not made to be attained or achieved. They are made to be surpassed.
    Originally posted by Sallust
    They can't show us new pets because they have better things to do then camp for the items

The fact is that there is no real way to know, so I dont even think about it.

In the RP sense of the word...some guy's dont mind RPing as a chick and some feel strange about it.
    -Sardunos-
    Nano-Technician

Squad Commander: The Forsaken

-Rotempiel-
    Shade
    (lvl 4)

They are all home playing with barbies.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

Originally posted by Jellobiafra
    They are all home playing with barbies.

I've got a thing for Asian chicks. Black chicks too. And hispanic chicks? Yeah, smokin'. And white chicks with big...

Jellobiafra

Customer service feedback regarding the lag, rubberbanding, black doorways, and LD's since 14.6 has been a disgrace. Fix the problems or be nerfed. Your next job WILL be flipping burgers at McDonalds.

...and it is precisely this sort of neaderthalistic, ignorant, chauvanistic and misogynic person that tends to drive women from these games. Or to hide their identities.

Put it into perspective... If every time you logged into your favourite repast you were deluged with racist/sexist/otherwise discriminatory remarks (assuming you are male, women deal with this daily.)... Or you were simply viewed as nothing more than a sex object with no thought or concern towards what sort of person you may be...

How long would it be your favourite repast?

Thank you for proving the points above so succinctly with both your lackwitted post and your truly callow signature.
    I hold no ties to any faction.

I am Clan, only because it suits my purposes. I will not fight your war for you, as it is not my war. Unless it benefits me.
    I am not Omni, as I am not a sheep. I have individual thoughts and feelings and I do not take orders well.
    I am not Neutral as I believe in taking any advantage offered to me.

I go where the winds take me. I believe in absolute freedom. I sell to the highest bidder, no matter their affiliation.

I am Fixer.

Knightwulf

Originally posted by Knightwulf

Thank you for proving the points above so succinctly with both your lackwitted post and your truly callow signature.

Right on!

( my new favorite word By the way " succinctly " ).
    ~Heaven just isn't hot enough, Burn me a light inside. Living my life's not hard enough, Take everything Away.~

I am a Neutral Evil Human Fighter Thief : Follower Of Cyric

...and it is precisely this sort of neaderthalistic, ignorant, chauvanistic and misogynic person that tends to drive women from these games. Or to hide their identities.

Put it into perspective... If every time you logged into your favourite repast you were deluged with racist/sexist/otherwise discriminatory remarks (assuming you are male, women deal with this daily.)... Or you were simply viewed as nothing more than a sex object with no thought or concern towards what sort of person you may be...

mi·sog·y·ny - Hatred of women
    misogynic - adj : (used of men) having deep-seated distrust of women

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Ne·an·der·thal - Slang. A crude, boorish, or slow-witted person

I would imagine you were refering to this as I am not part of an extinct human species. I will agree that I can be crude. Boorish, rarely. Slow-witted? Hrm. Intelligence is relative. As in your spelling of Neanderthalistic. Ok, Maybe I'm being picky, as you only left out a letter. You should try composing your posts in MS Word and using spell check if you are consistantly having a problem.

ig·no·rant - Lacking education or knowledge.

Let's stick with this one for a moment. I'll concede that I am not a brain surgeon. But I am neither lacking in education, nor knowlegde. As far as the barbie comment is concerned, here is a quarter, buy yourself a sense of humor. Anyone playing this game knows it is full of both genders.

chau·vin·ism - Prejudiced belief in the superiority of one's own gender, group, or kind.

Once again, your spelling is off. Regardless, maybe you would like to comment on how you came to this conclusion. I certainly do not believe that I am superior to any other race, group, or gender. My comment should only lead you to believe, no matter how crudely, that I love women of all races. I could list the numerous things in which women are superior to me, but I doubt it would matter to you.

Or you were simply viewed as nothing more than a sex object
    A quick comment on this rediculously out of date statement. Do you ever turn on your television, read a magazine, or go to the movies? How about your local mall? Or McDonald's? Maybe the beach, schools, grocery store or car wash?

Probably not, as I'm beginning to figure you for one who spends most of his time in front of the computer. But, if you had stepped outside of your shell, you would have noticed that women ARE sex symbols. They know it. And a lot of them use it to their advantage. In this world you use what you have. Sometimes men and women use their sex appeal to get what they want in life. Most of the time, there is more to the person than just their looks. But how often do we get the chance to know the person behind the beauty. Not to often.

So I'm a pig for enjoying the sexiness of an ethnic woman? Or the physical attributes of a well built goddess? I think not. Maybe I can be considered foolish for allowing myself to get wrapped up in how women work hard to portray themselves. But I don't think so. I'm a healthy man, with a healthy sexual attidude, who enjoys the finer things in life. And part of that is to spend my days appreciating the beauty of women of all races and sizes.

And now I wonder about you. Just how far does this attitude get you with women. Is it your belief that you can woo women with your "looks are unimportant, I'm only interested in your mind" ploy? Give us all a break. 99% of all relationships came from a physical first impression. If a beautiful woman is hit on by a 500 pound man with one eye in the middle of his forehead, chances are the best he can hope for is a friend. Thats the way it works.

So forgive me, women of the world, for appreciating the sex appeal that you throw at us. Forgive me for finding beauty in something other than your mind. Forgive me for acknowledging you for the work you do to make yourself as beautiful and sexy as you can. If I had such drive, oh the things I could accomplish.

In all my posts, you are the first to complain. Not one woman. Do you think that maybe you are the one with the problem? Step outside of your house my friend. See the beauty that is out there. It's actually much more satisfying than your little computer.
    Last edited by Jellobiafra; Dec 25th, 2002 at 14:21:04.

Bro I gotta disagree with you here. If you feel this way, then you shouldnt play AO. Every take a look at 99% of the female models? 99% have beautiful flawless faces, with tight, hard bodies and reat big ol' breasteses. Now, even looking past that, take a good hard look at emotes like /adjust (used to be called crotch) and /itch (used to be called /ass). Now have a woman to the /moon command and tell me that's not completely perverted. Or /prostrate.

In the former, the lady turns around and it looks more like she's opening up her ass cheeks more than anything else, and in the latter she kneels down and sticks her butt waaaay up in the air. Both are extremely suggestive and much much different than their male counterparts.

And then we have chastity belts, thongs, Morgan LeFay, everything in AO revolves around sex and sexualizing women. How could anyone miss that?

And then we have chastity belts, thongs, Morgan LeFay, everything in AO revolves around sex and sexualizing women. How could anyone miss that?
    Which just goes to show that the game was mainly designed by males and marketed mainly to males.

Many of us females have BEGGED Funcom to put in some female clothes that didn't make one look like a hooker standing on the street corner waiting for a john. Sure the revealing clothes are fun now and then but what's wrong with looking elegant without looking like you're advertising for Playboy magazine?

Ah, now this topic is sour.
    Ernest "Zane0" Bunke - Equipment - Perks
    Obsidian Order
    Advisor

Fix 200+ Engineer Slayers

Originally posted by Miria

Which just goes to show that the game was mainly designed by males and marketed mainly to males.

Many of us females have BEGGED Funcom to put in some female clothes that didn't make one look like a hooker standing on the street corner waiting for a john. Sure the revealing clothes are fun now and then but what's wrong with looking elegant without looking like you're advertising for Playboy magazine?
    Completely agree with ya Miria. Even if you guys already have a selection 10x that of men

LOL I'll believe the "conservative point of view" when women stop /prostrating and /adjusting in front of me

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast