Thread: [OOC] video project

[OOC] video project

Well, I don't even know if this is the right place to post it..but there are some smatery people on this forum (hah, I hope :P) so it's going here.

I made this slideshow for my mom's friend at work, it's about 38 minutes and toook approximately 25-30 hours of work to complete. it took so long because I had to take each picture individually, resize it, fade around the borders of the pictures, and add dates and crap to it (example: http://www.pictars.com/122002/Sepp_convert.jpg*) - There are 233 pictures (not including title and credits), and 14 songs
    I burned it onto 21 VCDs and 1 VHS tape (not including the 5 corrupted CDs)

Now she wants to know how much I should be payed
    how much do you think?

I'm not professional, and I looked at some profesional slideshow creation places

and got their estimate (based on what I've done):

100+454.35+56=$610.35
    http://www.digitaldvdcreations.com/taping.htm

75+431.05+56=$562.05
    http://www.familymemoriesvideo.com/price_list.htm

The final project is pretty good - no errors, everything fades nicely (Thanks to adobe premiere 6.0). FINAL.avi (finished product, duh), is 640x480 full quality. I forgot the sound quality but it if pretty decent.

Here are some previous responses from people:
    Code:
    PERSON  |       MAX PRICE       MINIMUM
    adam    |       450-500         325
    andrew  |       400             200
    zach    |       259             200

How much do you think this is all worth?

please no crap number posts, I'd like some serious input on this subject

Thanks

-Sepp

*if link does not work, try copying and pasting it
    /tell Numeric

--:o IS NOT .
    [Khaln]: it's teh small and soft
    [Khaln]: BUT
    [Khaln]: I need teh large and hard

This is kind of hard to put a price tag on considering;

1). City / Country affects prices
    2). You don't have a contract to begin with
    ----Always do that, and specify price.
    3). Will she be satisfied with your work?

215/15 | Lagerlad Atrox Adventurer | eqp | Mostly indestructible
    214/13 | Xpie Atrox Meta-physicist | eqp | Supernova!
    Member of Ragnarok

I would say since its for your mom 200-300, Or you could Milk her for her first born childe MHAUAHAHAHAH... oh wait thats you... sorry
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

Originally posted by AkodoReign
    I would say since its for your mom 200-300
    it's for my mom's friend

Originally posted by AkodoReign
    , Or you could Milk her for her first born childe MHAUAHAHAHAH... oh wait thats you... sorry [/B]
    no I'm not !
    /tell Numeric

--:o IS NOT .
    [Khaln]: it's teh small and soft
    [Khaln]: BUT
    [Khaln]: I need teh large and hard

25-30 hours of work for me gets charged at between 10 and 25 dollars an hour, depending on how much/which of my gear gets used. 10 is a base rate for me doing minimal amounts of work, using only my desktop. If I need to do anything location-wise with my laptop, or use any of my other specialized gear (video and audio stuff, mostly), then the rate goes up.

You didn't have a contract, you did the work for a friend of the family, I'd say go with $250-$300 for the final product. If they offer more, great! But don't take less than $10 an hour - it's skilled creative labor, and skilled creative labor should never be worth less than that.

edit: These all assume you live in a midrange area of the US. If you live in NYC, scale up, if you live in a cheap place to live, scale down. My numbers are based on a midrange midwestern town of ~100,000 people.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.