Thread: The actual effect of defensive modifier

The actual effect of defensive modifier

There seems to be some confusion among a lot of people as to what exactly the +def modifier actually does. Some people think it adds to evades and nano resist (without showing up in your skills menu), and others think that it affects your agg/def bar and allows you to fight at 100% while getting the effect of a lower setting.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to what exactly the +def modifier modifies?

This is my theory.

First of all, say you have 500 in every evade. Now you get a ring with def +10. that +10 is infact 10%, making your evades worth 550 instead. now you go and set aggbar att 50%. then your 550 is worth 50% more. at full deff its worth 100% more, 1100.

This is what i think anyway. Not sure at all.
    Freshman Che "Elnertz" Guevara.
    Atrox Soldier - 203th lvl.

Noone in this game has more bad luck than me.

That's wrong.

If it were true, a fixer in GA1 would be getting 700% increases for their evades. Clearly not true.

The best guess I've ever seen is that it works exactly like addalloff, except it adds to evades (don't think it affects NR, but it may) and since you can't see your 'Defense Rating' you can't directly note it like addalloff items.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

This does seem to be the general concensus, and what I'm most curious about is the eefect on nano-resist, because this is another area that seems to be in doubt.

It would make sense that it would affect nano-resist because it is a defensive skill, though I wonder if the defensive skill is a lumped together stat like attack rating. In that case, it may give the overall effect of lessening your chance to have a nano land on you, without actually directly affecting nanoresist. If this is the case, I'd certainly like to know to what degree the it would affect ones chance of resisting nanos. Increasing offensive modifier seems to increase attack rating disproportionately to the actual modifier (ie +20 might actually give +40 AR), so I wonder if defensive modifier works the same way.

Come on devs, how about some answers?

It does not affect Nano Resist, just like Add All Off does not affect an NT's damage from his nano programs.