Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggestion: A change to the placeholder-system

I'm sure if a change like this went through, the increments would get adjusted down to whatever level that satisfied the designers intended quantity of such uber loot in the gameworld.

phew... I feel like a lawyer with a sentence like that

Glarawyn's numbers seem reasonable. A good system is transparent.

-DE

It's disturbing that a system similar to this wasn't in place when these mobs were patched from the beginning. Would seem like common sense to me if I was trying to keep my subscriber base somewhat satisfied.

Random spawn location & random spawn times of these unique mobs...eliminate camping forever!
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Originally posted by Vixentrox
    Random spawn location & random spawn times of these unique mobs...eliminate camping forever!
    Do you really think that eliminates the camping? Nope, it just makes it more dumbass than before. But it wouldn't stop the camping.
    "Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

Yes it would becuse you would never know when or where it would pop-up. Today in Gallaway, 12 hours later in SEB...and 30 minutes after in CAV. No need for place holders. Can't camp it if you don't know it will be next.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Consider this another bump for this idea. Great one. would have loved this to be in place when I was killing lunaspells to do the second part of the fixer quest. Would help to make it not as frustrating a quest especially when there are people around that like to kill those spawns you worked 3+ hours to get up.
    Isadara level 214 NT AL 12 (Gear and Perks)-- Rimor
    Valdene level 197 Fixer (Gear and Perks) -- Rimor

General of Project Eden

Bump
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Originally posted by Vixentrox
    Yes it would becuse you would never know when or where it would pop-up. Today in Gallaway, 12 hours later in SEB...and 30 minutes after in CAV. No need for place holders. Can't camp it if you don't know it will be next.
    It will just make the big guilds have their people patrolling all the zones. Trust me, camping wont disapear at all by that. Its just going to be more dumb. Other games has tried using this method - and it didn't work.
    And random spawn-time. Check the Trashking-spawn. I think a lot of people would agree when I say thats one of the most moronic spawns in AO, exactly because you just sit there waiting for the random time on the spawn.
    "Should start a combined raid/NW bot, where people get points if they help take down a clan base. Should be most effective." - Said by Waikase 14th of May 2003 in sarcasm to the appearance of the first raidbots on Rk1.

Originally posted by Glarawyn / Lilredhot
    I think the suggested percentages might be a bit high.

Placeholders are on what, 20 min spawn?

I think 6 spawns should bring you a 50% chance. So after two hours, you have a 50/50 chance of getting the unique to spawn, if you haven't gotten lucky before then.

With a 50/50 chance, you would have to be very unlucky not to get the mob to spawn in hour 3. And given that you had 6 chances at low odds in the previous two hours, it's seems unlikely that you'll have to go to more than 2 hours before seeing a spawn.

At least when you get better odds when the placeholder dies you have the satisfaction of knowing that you earned something.

Tweaking the system like this may require tweaking the loot tables on some things, but that's ok by me.
    Sometimes the placeholders can take 15 minutes or more to kill.

The other night at Ljutor we killed 6 or 7 Polymorphed Lunatics without an appearence by Ljutor, over a span of 3.5 hours.

Last night at Ljutor we killed 3 lunatics before Ljutor spawned, and then Ljutor spawned next.

Three and a half hours of killing placeholders is a bit much. If they could put it on a fixed 1 in 5 system so that you KNOW the boss will spawn after you've killed 5 placeholders I could handle that much more easily.

Also, shortening the time between spawns would help, again it takes about 20 minutes between Ljutor/PMN spawns, a rate of 5 or 10 minutes would speed things up.

Keeping a group together for 2 team missions is close to impossible, and asking people to stay in a campground for 3 or 4 hours is insane!
    LVL 220 Vanguard Out to pasture
    LVL 220 Eternalist researching
    LVL 220 Dictator Retired
    LVL 220 Field Marshal Resetting/twinking

LVL 220 Savior (researching)

Firetree Server, Horde of course

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123