Thread: Rubberbanding in missions

Rubberbanding in missions

Last night I was in a mission and felt like I was on the end of a yoyo string. It bounces me back to rooms I had previously left. This has been happening for about 2 weeks now and I feel it is getting worse.

I know that this had been mentioned as "fixed" in the last patch message but it is still happening on a large scale for me.

I have a cable modem
    AMD Athlon 1535MHZ
    512MB Ram
    GForce3 Ti500
    AudigyP

Thanks for listening.

I've been seeing alot of the same thing myself over the last couple of weeks. I had just assumed it had something to do with the lagg generated by having a satalite internet connection. Glad to hear I'm not alone on this one. Please fix this issue FC.

i dont think it can be fixed.

I dont think the can fix it.
    svendor lvl 206 nt
    Eternal fury
    LORD oF THE CLAW CAMP.

What the hell did they do to cause it in the first place?
    GalxandJoan "Toxinator" Rox :: 202 Doc
    He "Tearspoint" Totem :: 215 Nano Tech :: Equipment :: Perks
    General :: Band of Brothers :: Band of Brothers Forums

Account Created
    2001-08-23 04:59:27

Account Status:
    Open

it existed before, only that we didnt notice. Remember when you killed a mob and it dropped in a different location?

It's easy to figure out. All that crap (Lag, Link Dead Peoples, Rubber banding) started with NW. It's obvious that all the stuff they've added (Towers, Banners, Ships) is overloading there servers.

Funcom you need to upgrade your servers, they are overloaded !!!!
    Aguitha, Engineer
    Cratisha, Bureaucrat

Arrow

I don't think the problem is really new, just how the client and server now handle it. You may have noticed that although this 'snap-back' has increased in frequency, other de-sync issues have decreased. Which is the preferable method of handling lag, latency and de-sync is debatable, and while I suspect there are till things that couldbe done to reduce the frequency with which they occur, your never going to eliminate them.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

As far as I understand it, server lag is when the client and server think you are in different places, so you snap back to where the server thinks you are when they sync, correct? However in that case you should be able to agro a mob by being close to it just before rubberbanding, as surely that calc would be handled by the server. However I have managed to agro some (mainly to pull one out of a room with multiple mobs) and then been snapped back several rooms. Am I missing something with my understanding, or is this a different problem?

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Arrow

With AO? Who knows... The wierdness of this snap-back and the other sync issues does make you wonder just how this game works sometimes...

In a typical client/server game, you'd be right, server has the only authoritive game state, so when the client and server disagree, the server wins. What happens in AO seems to depend on the phase of the moon and the number of traffic accidents in Beijing that day...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

You'd think the server would be the side the has the authoritative positions of everything, but I've had rubber banding when I'm agroed my multiple mobs, I then warp, and the mobs are for a second running towards my pre-warp position. I'd guess that the server controls the mob actions, so if the server overrides the client, then why do the mobs follow the "client" position for my pre-warped self?

IE if I'm warping because of a client thing, then why do the server controlled mobs still think I was in the old space? I don't think its a lag thing, I think there are some funky protocal issues that need to be worked out.