Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: We want a one time IP reset!!

We want a one time IP reset!!

Ok.. let's look at this realisticly.

1. You(funcom) have nerfed several class's, and as a result those class's are missing MANY IP points. Stupid people like me refuse to stop playing these characters.

2. You(funcom) claim to want to balance the professions in this game.

3. You(funcom) have tried everything but the obvious 1st step, which would be a one time IP reallocation. As you yourselves have stated, this can be done through a /command.

4. You(again, funcom) Can't balance professions, when you can't physically gather proper stats from existing professions. Why can't you gather proper stats?? Half your characters are MISSING IP. Which means you have one set of people that are MUCH weaker than the other set of people, even though both sets probably play their characters about the same!! How can you balance anything when the data your collecting is incorrect?

5. You(funcom) have people super buffing on gear, and people not super buffing on gear. You also have IP gimped characters (Which you gimped, YOUR fault), who are super buffing on gear, or not super buffing on gear. So how can you balance that? .. You have at least 4 completely diffrent versions of each profession!!!!!

Now what's the solution to all this?

A ONE TIME IP RESET. We've been trying to drill this into your heads for months now.

Where would that leave you?

1. Characters that have super buffed on gear, and characters that don't.

Sounds a bit more easly balanceable dosn't it?

Amen!
    "Life is too short to drink bad ale."

An IP-reset before they finish balancing classes would be a big mistake.

Originally posted by MikeWeather
    An IP-reset before they finish balancing classes would be a big mistake.
    Just as another said in another thread: Be careful of what you wish for.... it may take years to balance the profs, just as other online games, they still have balancing problems...
    NT phone HOME!!

So the people who get nerfed after the one-time reset are just screwed?

Red face

Originally posted by MikeWeather
    So the people who get nerfed after the one-time reset are just screwed?
    Did you read the post that started this thread??

It will be easier for them to properly balance (nerf) the classes after they do an IP reset..

But that said...
    I think it's a good way to start, but I agree with you that there should be some ongoing was to re-alocate IP as no matter when they choose as the cut off point for the ip reset, they will always end up screwing someone over..

Perhaps if they leave it as a once per character, with no time limit on it type deal.. those that have been screwed before now can reset as soon as they are alowed to, those that feel they have not wasted many IP (or had them wasted for them by FC) can wait, if at some point their class gets nerfed in a way that will drastically change where they need IP, they can change then.

This would create the best result leaving a more or less un-changable char.. if that's what they want, but personally I think it would be great if at every title level you could do a reset..

Imagine re-starting your char with those rules.. you could use dualed pistols up till level 50 (when they are good weps) then re-allocate your ranged IP to a better high level weapon choice to continue your char, then at 150, you may realise that you would get more benefit from a weapon that boosts stats instead of one that does the most damage, so then you could change your IP to that.. It would be great.. (and would help keep the game fresh, and create definate goals to strive for (something i think the game over 125 is lacking)

*insert usual pessimistic 'but this will never happen' type ***** here*
    --Rookie Teh "Wobble" Sux----------------------- AKA-----------------------Pirate "Ninjapirate" Dog--
    -+Legion+-
    WTB ATI T&L fix, h8 D3D.

Well, after all the changes since release FC just have to give us an ip reset and let us reallocate. If in the future big changes are done, they will have to make an ip wipe again.
    NT phone HOME!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    At the time we implement any changes in the overequipping rules, include the following changes to the game:

[blah]

A ONCE-OFF VOLUNTARY "IP- reset". I have to make sure right now the limitations of it! (An IP reset means that you keep your level and experience points, get your skills reset, and IP returned.

This will happen only once in the history of the game. (As long as I am Game Director at least )

It can only be done when you have a complete empty wear-view, and all items are taken off and stored elsewhere. This includes implants, NCU upgrades and memory - everything.

You will be able to do this IP reset only within a limited time frame. It is not something you can "save" for darker days.

It could be done using in example "a /command" in the chat line, and you will have to confirm your choice.

IP allocated to Map Navigation will not be reimbursed - that would require us to create many map items and upgrades, as well as wiping those stats. I do not consider those programmer hours a good investment at the moment.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something I'd read awhile ago. Quoted in and lifted from this thread:

IP Reset - Will someone confirm it?
    ........Truth...........
    Honor--|--Virtue The Order of the Crimson Cross
    .......Loyalty.........

oh great..so that 700 skill points worth of ip i wasted on map nav is going down the tubes...f*** FC im leaving!

Whatever happened to the IP-givers?

Weren't there rings of IP at some time? Where did these go?
    Did they get taken out because of duping?

The only other MMORPG I know is EQ, and the skills there weren't static. They went up with use (mostly), and a couple of skill points were handed out on levelling.
    I take it that the decision was made from the start that an IP-only system is used for AO, with no way to train to increase skills.
    Training would get rid of the need to have an IP-wipe, but would (I expect) lead to unbalance.

Or, am I missing something, and being held back in ignorance?

some people just don't get it, mikeweather, mmorpgs ARE NEVER DONE REBALANCING, NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER....

ok I am done

Smile Bring on the IP

I think a 1 time IP reset would be a great idea for all who are interested in it. It's a great idea for first time players to Anarchy who had no idea what to do with there IP at lower lvls and dumped it into places they didn't need it. Bring on the IP!!!

Who is the 'We' that want an ip reset? I personally am completely against the idea. There has only been one change that has had a direct effect on a character's IP, and that was the adventurer multi-ranged change. Items come and go, and I do not think 'flavor of the week' players should be allowed to reroll each and every time something new is added.

What if there a SMG gets added that is hands-down better than the mausser, but uses Full Auto instead of burst? Another reset?

How about swords that are significantly better than riders, but that use 1 less blue skill for adventurers? Another reset?

What if 1hb becomes viable with the addition of a new stick that's as good as 2hb, and you always wanted to be a 1hb enforcer? Another reset?

I think they should just do a one time adjustment to all adventurer's multi-ranged, using simple math, to fix the change that caused some adventurers to have misused some IP.

I do NOT think that it's reasonable to have them reallocate IP every time new items appear in game, or every time an old item changes (which is pretty much the same thing as a new item appearing, IMO.)

There is no self-interest in this post. I play one of just about every class, and I have felt more than one of the item changes personally. I believe there are very very reasonable reasons to NOT allow a manual reset of IP at any time under any circumstances. People make mistakes in real life as well (my wife has a business degree, and yet she is a programmer...that's a lot of wasted IP)

This is not a flame

Unhappy

All this talk of balance really confuzzles me and frankly I think Kalris said it best by repeating NEVER a few times. What is balance? Balance would be if all character types, careers and races were identical at a given level. Wouldn't that be kinda boring? Wouldn't that -completely- defeat the object of having all the variety in -everything-? Too many people are out to play the numbers instead of to play the game. Sure, we all want to be powerful/successful, but so long as things WORK (yes, I'm aware there are genuine issues) then balance is an unnecessary pipedream. What we have is a rich and vivid game world with huge depth and potential. Sounds too me like there's too many AD&Ders out there who are stuck in the character sheet mentality.

But hey, screw me for believing in RP.

Lightbulb Ip...

How about a one time IP-reset now and
    One IP-reset everytime they change the usefulness of a skill.

For exsample they are thinking of making MA-weapons using Physi-init. instead of melee-init, bekose of this they should make it posible for any character made BEFORE the patch, to reset Physi-init only!

I hope you understand what I mean, my english is pore..

Originally posted by Womble
    Imagine re-starting your char with those rules.. you could use dualed pistols up till level 50 (when they are good weps) then re-allocate your ranged IP to a better high level weapon choice to continue your char, then at 150, you may realise that you would get more benefit from a weapon that boosts stats instead of one that does the most damage, so then you could change your IP to that.. It would be great.. (and would help keep the game fresh, and create definate goals to strive for (something i think the game over 125 is lacking)

*insert usual pessimistic 'but this will never happen' type ***** here*
    This is a great solution!

I like the way AO works in general with the skill system except that we can't relocate IP to something new if we regret our choises etc.

But with this in place it would be almost perfect! It will let us experimente with our characters much more which is great and not worry to much that we make the wrong choises. It would also mean that a IP reset would be unnessesary (sp?) since those who feel they have "gimped" characters simply could relocate some of their ip to something new when they reach a new title lvl.

Re: Ip...

Originally posted by Urro
    How about a one time IP-reset now and
    One IP-reset everytime they change the usefulness of a skill.

For exsample they are thinking of making MA-weapons using Physi-init. instead of melee-init, bekose of this they should make it posible for any character made BEFORE the patch, to reset Physi-init only!

I hope you understand what I mean, my english is pore..
    That would depend on several things IMO, for instance, if they introduced SOME ma weapons that used physi init instead of melee init, while others stayed the same, I can't imagine why that would justify a full IP reset.

My solution....

Well, if this IP reset is needed due to FC nerfing or changing a skill req, then the points used in that req should be refunded, and only those. So if Engineers suddenly swap from having pistol as a green skill to shotgun, all IP's they had in those two skills should be (optionally) refunded, to allow the person to swap.

Probably a bad example, but hey, I'm new at this

Cordi
    36 Clan Engineer.
    RK2

Talking fyi

swg posted on their website that you can redo your skills!

4.07 If I choose a skill, then later realize I don't like it, will I be stuck with it for the rest of the game?

You can always give up a skill in order to apply those points towards something that you find more interesting and useful. So, if you put X skill points into Wookiee grooming and later realize that Wookiee grooming really isn't your idea of a good time, you can always give up that skill to get those points back and put them into something more useful, like blaster repair.

why cant we have this?
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

Re: My solution....

Originally posted by Cordi
    Well, if this IP reset is needed due to FC nerfing or changing a skill req, then the points used in that req should be refunded, and only those. So if Engineers suddenly swap from having pistol as a green skill to shotgun, all IP's they had in those two skills should be (optionally) refunded, to allow the person to swap.

Probably a bad example, but hey, I'm new at this :p

Cordi
    36 Clan Engineer.
    RK2
    The only skill req that was ever changed was dual ranged on adventurers. That happened a long long long time ago (in ao years) and caused quite a stir. They actually changed the skill from aqua difficulty to light green difficulty (if memory serves, as I said it was ages ago, and my advent was not high enough level for it to really destroy her life at the time).

At the time, Funcom didn't do anything at all to fix it, although they said back then that they would consider fixing it at some point if they could find a good way to do it. As far as I know they have never done anything. I'm sure some people lost IP in that they had already spent due to the newly reduced cost, but considering how few adventurers I see in game at any given time anymore, and the fact that almost none of the advents I actually do see use pistols, I would imagine that there are few played characters left that suffered with this change at this point.

The other oft-used justification for IP reset is the fact that some items in game (that honestly were too good to be true even then IMO) have been adjusted. For instance pillows, which used to give up to +30 in 3 nano skills, were originally able to be dual-wielded for a total of +60 in 3 nano skills. To get this bonus, many people dumped tons of IP into 4-5 dark blue skills. Then pillows were changes so you could no longer dual-wield them. This means that the people who were using two before can no only use one, so they basically have no use for the high multi-melee skill they acquired trying to use two pillows in the first place.

Other people who had simply made bad decisions with thier toon immediately jumped on the IP reset bandwagon. They want the ability to redistribute points into a character made perfect by both 20/20 hindsight and not having had to sacrifice at lower level. For instance an enforcer who had made the decision to raise INT could completely remake his character, focusing say 150 levels of IP into nothing but the primary skills needed by his already QL 200 weapons, armor, and high level nanos. That sure would be convenient indeed!

Of course, the downside of this, which is rarely pointed out, is that giving everyone the mere ABILITY to do this makes it ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY that everyone redistribute IP in order to keep up.

The reason for this is simple. If 25% of the players immediately redistribute IP and create a super toon, they will immediately unbalance the game for the other 75% of people. They will be tougher, and capable of taking tougher mobs than they were right before the reset. This could have the very real possibility of causing the mobs in the game to be adjusted to fit the new definition of difficulty that has just been set. That will equate to mass slaughter of all the people who are not using perfect templates.

And then there's PVP...how can one casually PVP knowing that they are very likely going up against someone with the hindsight to design the perfect high level character from scratch? Well, to compete that casual player will have to design an equally perfect high level toon by redistributing his IP as well. Maybe he won't want to do the math himself, so he'll go look on some random website that will show him the UBER-TEMPLATE for being whatever class he is.

Suddenly, every engie, every advent, every MP, every NT, every fixer, etc, in the whole game, will be exactly the same.

That sounds more like Unreal Tournament to me, rather than a game where people are supposed to have different skills and grow in different ways.

People say this wouldn't happen, but I would have to suggest to those people that they didn't play AC. All non-template people in that game were considered gimped, and 90% of the people in that game were uber-template macro flavor-of-the-week ua/life mages. That was rather annoying, I'd prefer diversity.

Then of course there is the point I brought up in my above post. Where does it end? When do you stop doing IP wipes if every new piece of equipment or change to existing equipment makes people scream?

This is not a flame.
    Last edited by griemdaall; Jan 31st, 2002 at 00:24:10.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast