Thread: The Cost of Trade tools

The Cost of Trade tools

Some tools like the neutron displacer are so costly that no newbie can dream to use them.

What is the point of making a whole part of the game only accessible to very high level players when only a very small change could allow lower level players to use the trade skill and still can keep everything in balance ?

As it stand now, it seems that the cost of each tool is very close to something like (with 'k' different for each tool):
    k *QL^2

(I'll post the precise formula once I have it figured out)

In order to make those tools more accessible to newbies, the price for these tools should be based on QL^3 with the constant changed so that the price for the tools needed for building a QL133 crystal is unchanged.
    (That is : lev34 PPE, lev67 Isotope, Lev67 Neutron-D)

This would imply that the cost for tools limited to building :

QL200 crystals would be : +50%
    QL133 crystals would be : +00%
    QL66 crystals would be : -50%
    QL33 crystals would be : -75%

compared to the prices as they are today.

(e.g : tools for level 33 would now cost 1/64 of the tools needed for lev 133 whereas they previously costed 1/16 of their 133 counterparts)

Of course, this scheme can be adjusted in many ways (the exponent can be set to something between 2 and 3 or some the inflexion point moved away from QL133 and/or a linear factor added so that very low level items are not TOO cheap.)

This new price scheme would have the advantage of encouraging engineers to buy intermediate levels tools before they one day get the money to buy the top notch ones. It would also create a market for second hand tools.

I know that this bunch of maths is perhaps already making some of you puke but please note that this price scheme would not be inherently any more complex than the present one, it is just the comparison that is a bit tricky.

An alternative idea would be to create "item banks" for orgs where members could rent tools or make gifts.

Comments ?

Nano making tools used to cost a lot more (I think I speant over 10m on the 2 tools)

Seems about right now, sinse they can be used as many times as you want.

You should have seen how much they USED to cost I remember buying a set of level 40 nanocrystal tools and I think it set me back over 900k.

But they drastically reduced the prices, I don't think they're that bad at all:

Code:
    Neutron Displacer:

QL         Price
    -----------------
    1          80
    50         7255
    100        14510
    255        37000
    http://64.106.154.149/showitem.asp?AOID=149815
    Drusillus
    Band of Brothers

Level 143 Omni-Tek Chief Engineer

Curator of the Rubi-Ka Encyclopaedia of Armor

You won't need ql 200 tools unless you need to make a quality 400 nanocrystal. The QL of the Jensen P.O.E must be 25% or higher than that of the Carbonrich Rock. The quality of the Isotope Separator must be 50% or higher than that of the Carbonrich Ore. And the quality of the neutron displacer needs to be atleast 50% or higher then that of the pure carbon crystal. So if you have quality 110ish tools you'll be fine atleast untill Shadow Lands comes out. If you can't afford to buy those tools you are too low level to earn any money making nanos anyway. Most people say it isn't even worth the IP and money untill level 150+. I think you shouldn't start before you're level 50-60.

All the info about the quality of the tools can be found at The workshop

Wink

If all stuff was accessible to low levels there ll be no reasons to level 8-) and what do you think higher levels will do if all was possible at low level ?

The balance is better now.

There s just the problem of geting (with % chance too high) rare items like GA or PPPE armor not depending on special mobs (high level or tough combat or quest etc...) but just random loot like those ql 57 team missions (i did like 120 missions and still havent got a PPE)

The good point is i gain levels but now i m sure i m not enough lucky to raffle 8-)

Do you really think that high levels would mind if low levels tradeskillers could (afford to) make say an armor/crystal/... for QL40 or so ?

Like Ensign was saying, you could make QL40 nanocrystals with QL20 tools, which should set you back maybe 5000 credits for all three tools. If that's still to expensive for you, hell, give Drusillus a /tell on RK1 and I'll give you the money
    Drusillus
    Band of Brothers

Level 143 Omni-Tek Chief Engineer

Curator of the Rubi-Ka Encyclopaedia of Armor