Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: side changes are too long

Last I knew, the amount of time required to switch is level-dependent.

So lowbies, who won't have as much of an idea, can switch back and forth with less time penalty.

If you go clan as a level 200, it damn well BETTER be a decision you thought about it. A 164 hour penalty before you switch back seems like a pretty good way to make people think twice.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

I believe my quote was 8 Days, not weeks DNG, and no it wasnt meant to be smartass, but rather a to show that leaving AO running for that time period is a bit of a hassle, and not as simple as going to bed and waking up ok.

I agree with everyones arguments here about it being a serious thing, but only from a RP standpoint. If someone doesnt RP, as most people dont in AO it isnt such a big thing, its just a game. The arguments that is should be monumental are based on RP reasoning (which I agree with being a RP player myself) and are not really valid for the non-RP community. Why would a casual, non RP player care what side he/she is on? Why shouldnt they just be allowed to have fun and play the game?

Of Course AO is a MMORPG, but so many things in this game, and things done by FC are not RP oriented. The time limit was increased to avoid certain exploits for changings sides, and to give agents something to do (change faster than others), not because it is so monumental to change a side in a computer game.

RPing players should be bound by their own subset of "rules" and not change sides because the want to RP a certain way. My org wont even accept former clanners or Omnis who have switched sides and come back, we even give the close scrutiny if they emntion having clan friends. But for others this is just a fun game, no RP reasons against switching sides, and imposing a huge time limit is somethig that I think would take away from the enjoyment of the game to an extent unduely.

What is really wrong with some non-Rpers switching sides ever few days? If you dont want fence jumpers in your org, dont accept them, dont deal with them for the RP reasons you have stated if it offends you, but why limit the enjoyment of non-Rpers simply because you dont think its appropriate behavior in you own sub-set of RP rules?

Originally posted by FakoNamo
    I believe my quote was 8 Days, not weeks DNG, and no it wasnt meant to be smartass, but rather a to show that leaving AO running for that time period is a bit of a hassle, and not as simple as going to bed and waking up ok.
    Well, if you want to be aynal about the quoting, then I guess I will be too. First of all, who said it was as simple as going to bed and waking up okay? I certainly didn't say anything to that affect, you apparently are reading out of context. Second, it's SUPPOSED to be a hassle, which is where the deterrent comes in. It's the whole point here.

What is really wrong with some non-Rpers switching sides ever few days? If you dont want fence jumpers in your org, dont accept them, dont deal with them for the RP reasons you have stated if it offends you, but why limit the enjoyment of non-Rpers simply because you dont think its appropriate behavior in you own sub-set of RP rules?
    You answered your own question. It's a ROLE PLAYING GAME. Just because you don't have to RP in this game, doesn't mean you are exempt from the RP standards and limitations. You want to no-RP in an RP game, then you deal with your obstacles instead of *****ing to the designers, otherwise find a different game

Actually there are no RP limitations in AO unless I want to follow them. I can be an Omni, kill omni guards with no penalty. I can switch sides as much as I want (given time reqs). Omnis can team, trade, and hang out with their supposed ememies (and vise versa).

The only limitations are mechanics, not RP. Everyone is exempt from RP standards since RP isnt enforced. RP is possible and even encouraged in AO, but it is not required to play or make suggestions, or state opinions.

Most people in AO dont RP at all, despite the MMORPG tag. Maybe just MMOG is a better description. Sure players assume a character, but RP isnt enforced. Thats why people see so many names like Imadumbass running around chatting about non RP non AO related things.

Its encouraging to see that many people do still want to RP and cling to the standards that have been around for so long, but as long as RP isnt enforced, everyones opinions and concerns should be considered (if anyones should be), even non-Rpers as they are paying customers the same as the rest of us.

Sure the time limitation is supposed to be a hassle, but the point of this thread is that it can still be a hassle and a deterant and be lowered a bit at the same time. The majority of people seem to think keeping them the same if best, and thats a valid opinion. But so is the opinion to lower them.

PS DNG You'll note I never quoted you or anyone else about going to bed and waking up. I wanted to make the point though that it was more of a hassle than that. I never refered to anyone saying anything like that, just making a point (you'll notice there is not QUOTE: XXXX in my post). Please read more clearly before taking offense at things not directed at you. Besides, this is a suggestion board and last time I checked, RPing to your set of standards is not a requirement for *****ing to devs (nor to play the game).

Cheers

FakoNamo, so basically by your argument RP'ers should be allowed to change their level to what they want, without having to do all that mucking about killing things to get xp? However I am guessing you dont want that. There are some RP limitations, not many its true, and this could be one of them. Personally I would rather they beefed it up, and made more of them, rather than water this one down.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

I wouldnt say that exactly lilnymph. Lvl restrictions are not exactly RP, but again rather game mechanics. Maybe we all just hve a different definition of RP and its restrictions though.

My view that the time restriction should be lowered is based on the fact that

1) regardless of any RP its a very long time to wait, especially if done by accident or without knowing the full consequences. (you never hear people argue that they dont want to change sides because of the time req, but rather since the time req is not really stated people always change only to find that they have to wait a very long time)

2) The loss of a token board is a huge penalty as well. Sure its nothing to a low lvl, but when you have a 1k board thats a huge loss and a very effective detrement to switching.

3) In my opinion AO is about having fun (despite my chars RP believe its about a conflict of some sort) and having to sit around for up to 200 hrs on a side you dont want to be on is not fun.

4) The question I have (and if anyone can answer this effectivly, you'll have changed my opinion on this matter) is:

How can lowering the time req hurt anyone?

ps I agree lilnymph, I would love to see alot more RP restrictions, or even a RP Server, I've just seen too many cases where people dont have the correct info on the time reqs and end up stuck. GMS cant/wont help people who make a mistake in changing sides, they are forced to wait it out. Granted most of the reasons they change sides are silly and could be avoided.
    Last edited by Fakonamo; Dec 20th, 2002 at 15:22:43.

Originally posted by FakoNamo

PS DNG You'll note I never quoted you or anyone else about going to bed and waking up. I wanted to make the point though that it was more of a hassle than that. I never refered to anyone saying anything like that, just making a point (you'll notice there is not QUOTE: XXXX in my post). Please read more clearly before taking offense at things not directed at you.

please. I take no offense to anything anyone ever says on a message board, and i don't plan to anytime soon.
    I never said you quoted me, I said you read it out of context, given that you stated that "it's not as simple as going to bed and waking up ok," implying that that is what you absorbed from my statement about leaving the game on overnight. Perhaps you're the one who needs to read more clearly.

Besides, this is a suggestion board and last time I checked, RPing to your set of standards is not a requirement for *****ing to devs (nor to play the game).
    Who said it was? If you know what you're getting into when you use that application form, THEN you come in here and ***** to the devs, then I don't see how your suggestion is that big of a deal. Yes this is a suggestion board, but comments and opinions are also allowed on those suggestions.

Actually there are no RP limitations in AO unless I want to follow them.
    This game is full of RP limitations. If you're a faithful omni-tek employee, can you waltz directly through Tir south gate? Can you have an argument with Simon Silverstone? Can you steal a pair of Kaehlar sleeves and wear them as a statement? Can a clanner disguise himself in Omni-pol elite armor? If you wanted to RP any of these situations, you can't. You will follow these limitations because you have no choice. Yes, these are game mechanics limitations, but... listen up now... they are in place for RP reasons
    Last edited by Slicse; Dec 20th, 2002 at 17:14:33.

Wow DNG, you react as if I have attacked your manhood (or lack their of). Easy boy. If you'd like to keep up the pointless banter and arguments, we should probably do that somewhere else and leave this thread for suggestions, and constructive ideas.

My question remains unanswered, so until it finds an answer I'll remove myself from the banter here.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12