Thread: Security Issue

Security Issue

I wanna give you guys a heads up

The Game Client has a big SECURITY ISSUE concerning username & password

If u have you computer connected too a LAN network & have your install-dir shared it is possible too copy the folder and have your stored username & password come a long on the copy if u have checked the save password box

For me that is a BIG SECURITY ISSUE

SECURITY ISSUE

Well first of all Dont share you AO directory on a lan net. why should you do that ! its plain stupid.
    and second, DONT use the Save password Box. never ever use it in any online games. Even if your not on a lan net, still dont use it.
    If you dont have a firewall up, and a hacker gets in, your account is ****ed, if thats what he is after.

Celabaruge....

Arrow

So, don't share it... or don't tick 'save password'. Use a firewall, use anti-virus and trojan checkers.

Encrypting the password would help too mind you...

And it is a point worth bringing to people's attention:

If you tick save password, your password will be stored in plain text in a file in your AO folder.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

never never never never

store your password. Type it in every time.
    svendor lvl 206 nt
    Eternal fury
    LORD oF THE CLAW CAMP.

Security Issue

Well the reason i posted this is because there is some people that do not use a password on Windows 2000.

And if the attend a LAN-party they do not need too share there folder because then its WIDE OPEN

ex : \\PC01\c$

with that u have full access if u don't have use a pwd for administrator

I personally don't store a pwd on my AO-Client. I also use a Norton Antivirus and has a HW Firewall so i do belive i am secured :-)

This was just a HEADS UP

and maybe a thing too consider too change in a patch :-)

No offense, but if someone is stupid enough to not only leave administrative shares... well... shared and not have a password on at very least the administrative class of accounts, then they should NOT be using NT/2000.

I mean, really, it should be basic knowledge. If you're using 2000/NT and don't know this, you're using the wrong OS (unless it's forced upon you by your company, which means you're only a user, not an admin and they really should know this or lose their job).

It's sad how common this can be anyway.... I used to make around 70k USD a year just pointing out basic things like this once a week (stupid IT economy crash).

Security Issue

He he i works as and SysAdmin now i know exactly what u mean.

But there is alot of stupid peps out there

I attended a LAN-Party with 5000 users and there were a lot of clue = none there :-)

select * from users where clue > 0
    0 rows returned