Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do?

Talking Official Title Sr Database Administrator member of the IT technicall staff

I manage all the big oracle databases that track the manufacturing division of Hewlett Packards personal ink cartridge division.

How's that for an important sounding job. Basically I manage the systems that make the little chips on teh end of the cartridge

I love my job...
    Knights of Ka
    Its not a Game its an Addiction

Kallen 83 Enforcer
    Kallette 48 Meta Physist
    Kallenfix 61 Fixer
    Kallentrel 70 Trader
    Kallen* Reserve for future GiMps

Originally posted by Lola
    I don't really spend much time on anything in particular. I'm way to hyperactive for any sort of extended streams of coherent concentration. My imagination runs a bit too wild at times. I sorta flit around from tangent to tangent. When i have access to a computer, usually beween classes or while doing homework, i'll whip up a quick post in a stream of consciousness. This post was inspired by my pondering of TheDeacon. In his post about his wife's addiction to The Sims, he mentioned that he worked with his wife. I was kinda curious what exactly he did with his wife [besides sucking her toes]
    LOL you and capelle have mentioned me in so many posts that I'm starting to look out my window to see if you guys are stalking me *imagines two pairs of feet pressed up to the glass*

Kidding, of course. My background is mainly in acting/modeling, but over the years I've been sucked into Information Technology. My wife and I operate a computer sale/repair company in Madison, WI. Sounds boring, but we occasionally get a few interesting calls (Superslang called me the other day and attempted to conspire with my wife to pull a prank on me, which was totally cool, but didn't work as I was listening on the other line hehehehe )

In addition, I teach classes on a part time basis for an alternative high school program, afterschool elementary students and adults. I don't do it for the money obviously, but rather out of a sense of responsibility for the community. It provides a safe place for kids to go before mom and dad get home and it's education for people who would not normally receive exposure to Information Technology. I also do stand up comedy once a month to let some stress out.

So, you can imagine I'm a much different person in real life than you would expect. Several people actually, depending on which hat I have to put on. My wife keeps me sane in all this (secretary, scheduler, office manager, therapist), as I tend to be a VERY strict boss to work for if she's not around
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Originally posted by Vamp the Stampede
    You ppl are lucky to have legit jobs, and always remember that. I frigging sell marijuana and warez and other pirated or stolen things.

It's not fun. I want a secretary and a desk.

OMG! *calls the police*

Hehehe in all seriousness, I bet you make more money than I do, but I'd edit that post fast if I were you bro. You never know who's reading these forums

At that I may, Deacon. I can pull 12 grand a month, but it's still bad work.

Deac, you are a prime example of a good person. You're funny, varied in your interests, a good worker, and you take part in your community.

Superslang called Deacon..... That sounds so weird. I wanna call an AO player I don't know IRL, that'd be so interesting. It's really fascinating how different people can be IRL from IG. It's also fun to get to know someone that you've only met online.

omg tehdeacon fone ## plz. i watn to com and give u teh footness.

Hey, there's sex... there's phones.... and there's phone sex....
    Now, there's teh footness, there's phones... but can there be teh fone footness?
    Pfft, the GMs and ARKs aren't rid of me yet! Back for a third round, in this corner, we have Vamp. Weighing in at a buck-fiddy and lovin' all the bitties.

Donations to the "Why Did Vamp Give All His Gearz Away" fund are now being accepted. Either that, or a friendly hello.

At that I may, Deacon. I can pull 12 grand a month, but it's still bad work.

Deac, you are a prime example of a good person. You're funny, varied in your interests, a good worker, and you take part in your community.

Superslang called Deacon..... That sounds so weird. I wanna call an AO player I don't know IRL, that'd be so interesting. It's really fascinating how different people can be IRL from IG. It's also fun to get to know someone that you've only met online.

omg tehdeacon fone ## plz. i watn to com and give u teh footness.

Hey, there's sex... there's phones.... and there's phone sex....
    Now, there's teh footness, there's phones... but can there be teh fone footness?
    OM F'ing GAAAAWWWD 12K A MONTH!!

Bah, screw the kids, I'm joining YOU!! (im kidding, but damn am I jealous! Hehehe, I almost said "maybe my students can become my customers", but figured that'd be extremely poor taste)

Yeah, it was cool as hell to talk to someone from the game! It's amazing how different the person is than what you imagine them to be :P

Hehehehe, I'm just scared Lola is gonna start calling, wanting footrubs. You only get those ingame, baby! I got my own lil real life AO chicky for foot rubbins (soon as she grinds that crust off her heel. I swear to god she could sand the rust off a car or stop bullets with those fred flintstone tootsies).

My job title is "Analyst Programmer". I'm squirrelled away in a corner of a room, behind a divider, past which, if I sit up straight and stare over the filing cabinet, I can see about six inches of corridor outside.

If anyone comes to see me, which is rare, they come around the divider. My back is facing anyone who approaches me, so if I hear anyone coming, it's looking over my shoulder to see who it is. Constantly. Either that, or they sneak up on me. I'm a fairly jumpy person as is, when I'm surprised.

The company I work for isn't an I.T. company. It's a research company for the sugar industry. The company has been around for about 60 years I think, and before I have any chance of getting promoted, someone's probably going to have to die. That's now. We're supposed to be getting a new management structure by March next year, under which the structure will be even flatter.

Going back to my paranoid positioning, a lot of people do come past. That is because, behind me, as you walk into the room proper, is the techie's desk. He's about 60 years old, nice enough guy, but he mumbles. He mutters. He is constantly talking to himself, the computers, whatever. If something is frustrating him, he starts swearing, at the top of his voice. It's irritating, especially if I'm trying to get something done.

I could go on, but I'm feeling miserable enough as is, mainly due to the fact that I'm in my third day of cold/flu recovery. A cold/flu, which unfortunately has not made me sick enough to want to stay home, just enough to make me feel rotten and annoy me all day.

I think I've *****ed enough. If anyone wants to suggest some sort of career change for me, feel free.
    My Main - Actionpete of the Red Tigers

And with one sweeping blow, Letah pwns everyone. :-D - Razishlyat, Nano Regen rate

The Shadowlands Perk System - "Are you feeling perky yet?"

On the Shadowlands Perk System:-
    Originally posted by OneChrisN
    Frankly we don't know anyting about it other that it's there and Enforcers can kick people in the nuts.

Ok, I feel slightly better now.

Nodwick tends to help

edit: Go back a few strips, otherwise you might not get just how funny the barrel joke is Here's where the current story-line starts from.
    My Main - Actionpete of the Red Tigers

And with one sweeping blow, Letah pwns everyone. :-D - Razishlyat, Nano Regen rate

The Shadowlands Perk System - "Are you feeling perky yet?"

On the Shadowlands Perk System:-
    Originally posted by OneChrisN
    Frankly we don't know anyting about it other that it's there and Enforcers can kick people in the nuts.

Originally posted by SilverSmoke
    I am a bloody taxman
    Hahahahah...I work in the tax practice at a law firm that screws the tax man out of all sorts of stuff everday!

Note to the public: Pursuant to subsection 60(o) of the Income Tax Act of Canada, any legal fees incurred in the course of disputing Notices of Assessment/Reassessment issued by the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency are FULLY TAX DEDUCTIBLE in the year paid.

Hehehehehe....oh God I love you silly tax people!

Unhappy Yes, I'm in....a cubicle

I'm an executive secretary. I work for the VP of medical affairs at my local hospital and also support the medical staff office.
    Dessa - Unit Commander of Dragon Legion

Arymilia
    Cabriana

Software Engineer here....

A guildmate sitting two desks away from me (no cubicles, I can actually see him )

Taking a break here on the boards from my daily chore of trying to solve problems for customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primakoff
    You can never deal enough damage to OD even the most average role-player 220 soldier with the right gun, so taunts are your only hope.
    I want to tank The Beast with nothing but a chair and a Concrete Cushion FFS!

It's not fun. I want a secretary and a desk.
    My secretary is great, she is one of those people who seems to spend all day talking on the phone, or to me, or messing about in some other way, but she STILL manages to have any work I have given her, or asked her to do, done when I ask about it later. Someday I am going to catch her out, but I havent managed it yet hehe.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Originally posted by lilnymph

My secretary is great, she is one of those people who seems to spend all day talking on the phone, or to me, or messing about in some other way, but she STILL manages to have any work I have given her, or asked her to do, done when I ask about it later. Someday I am going to catch her out, but I havent managed it yet hehe.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Does she have nice legs? My secretary (wife) has TEH SEXAH BOOTAY!

Damn damn damn.... im a business admin student, who SHOULD atm work on his dissertation (dunno the correct english word) but here i am, scrolling through an AO forum thread.... damn damn i hate this game.....on the other hand, its christmas, so: F*** u, performance management, ill have fun these days

Dispatcher/Field support for a major Cable TV/ISP.

Most of my job is listening to field techs try and not do their jobs by any means necessary, and emplying wheedling lying pleading and downright threatening to get them to do their jobs after all. Oh, and posting on webboards so as not to go insane.
    General Hershel "Kasimir" Jurik

President of Division 9 R.S.G.E

Fixer
    RK-1

Braumiester of the Pagan Bartenders, wielder of dual SSo8s

Stealer of hearts, creds, and anything not nailed down!

hehe, i've been away for sometime now. it's nice to know that these wonderful forums still are the bane of any and all productivity in this world. well, since its Christmas, i guess i oughta give a little yuletide cheer! =)

*plops on a red hat with fluffy white poms poms*

*does a little jig around the room [a bit tipsy though à too much egg nog? ;0 ] *

Ho ho ho, everyone!
    Hope you all are enjoying the holidays!

*eyes Santa with his big sack o’ toys*

*grins and begins tip toeing up to the big oaf*

Muahaha!

*whacks Santa on the back of the head with a banjo*

Santa: you’ve been naughty this year!

Lola: yep =)
    *whacks him again*

Santa: oof @__@

*leaps into the big bag of toys*

Woohooo! A Malibu Barbie! Just what I wanted, Santa!

*Santa wakes up and sees Lola playing in the sack*

*grabs the bag and ties it up*

Lola: Ahhhh! Help me!

Santa turns into Satan

Satan: Back to Hell you little imp!

Lola: Nooooooooo! 0_o

I am the QA department for a company that custom makes wheelchairs.

Not only do I get to see the faces of little kids who can suddenly move around on their own for the first in their lives, I get to break stuff all day as well. (testing welds and coating samples and such)
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Architectual Technician
    Crowe Caylor & Partners, Est.1893, United Kindom.

I draw and design buildings in AutoCAD...also do pre-viz artwork for big clients who like that sort of fancy thing using LightWave3D...love art and architecture...love my job, just wish I was paid more and had better conditions ((although hey, got my own office so it's not all bad))

Take care
    Last edited by Jhanarr; Dec 27th, 2002 at 20:07:14.
    Jharick "Jhanarr" Naarr
    Long since left AO :: Catch me on the forums!

Muffins are for sharing, so be cool - buy me a muffin, today!

My Five GUI Skins:::download them now!

Ever seen the movie "Cable Guy"?
    ...that's me. Driving around in my car, wearing a 5-pound-toolbelt, lurking in people's homes, hooking them up with cable TV.

Guess I kinda like my job. If there hadn't been stupid costumers.
    They call in and say stuff like
    "my cable isn't working! I'm not getting a picture!"
    So I drive over to their house, plug the cable from the wall to their TV-set and send them a nice fat Bill

Bill, however brings a bat and threaten to use it until they pay up for my services

ok, ok, ok.... there is no person named bill. But we still send them bills if they're stupid (stupid meaning that there's no error with the signal we send out, but they're just too n00b to figure out how to operate their own TV-set)

US Army Cavalry..Deep Recon Team

for 3.5years..6 months to go..then free schoolin wooters!
    The Sammich Master is Back!
    Boci - Retired Soldier
    Flashgordun - Smurf in Training
    Mussashi---Boci Reborn---Sword Saint
    xxxxxxxx Keeper Twink of Dewm

US Coast Guard, electronics tech. for almost six years now
    eh... could have been free and clear for two years but the 30k reenlistment bonus was too tempting
    Twidgett sol engi
    D*** IT DIZZ attack him!
    Sseo opy fixer
    /me picks up anything not nailed down, and a few that are
    Roxs atrox enforcer
    Don't I look smart with glasses?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12