Thread: Pet pathing solution.

Pet pathing solution.

I have a low level engineer, and I love him, and love pet classes, but without bias or hesitation I have to say that pet pathing is and apparently always will be an issue in any game that has pet classes. I am an MMORPG player of 4 years, and apparently there is something inherently difficult programmatically with creating good pet pathing.

I have bounced around ideas for the solution to this problem for a long time, and the idea I am about to suggest seems to have no exploitable or negative game play consequences that I can think of (although, admittedly, I am no expert).

Simply give pet classes a command (similiar to the pet commands that you can get in the help menu, that will automatically generate a key to be placed as a hotkey) that will summon all pets to the owners side. Make the skill usable only once every 5 seconds, and make it so that the command does not function if the pet is in combat.

I have talked to MANY people and all agree that this would be a wonderful idea (ESPECIALLY in missions) and that if a command like that were made, that the pathing could be left alone and as a player they wouldn't mind. No one would care if their bot ran off in another room if all they had to do was press a button and he would be there at their side.

As I said before, I love pet classes, but from the missions I have been on with engineers, pets in missions are, for the most part, so much of a pain that it makes them almost more trouble then they are worth.

From the little bit of programming knowledge I have, I wouldn't expect this to be a diffult addition to make at all. You already have summoning commands in game that ARKs use, and that engineers use in nano form. Simply take one of those commands, link it to the class in the program that is the pet, put in some commands to check if the pet is engaged in combat, and set it for a 5 second re-use timer.

Just wanted to put the suggestion in front of the masses, and offer a time saving solution for an already overworked team.

have you played DAoC ?
    they have much better pet pathing.
    MP lvl 139 Mysticknight

Yes, I have played DAoC, and their pet pathing is better, but its not PERFECT!

I am suggesting something that would alleviate almost all concerns of pet pathing.

Your being argumentative, and not focusing on the suggestion I put forth.

Until pet pathing is "PERFECT", which of course it never will be in any game, a command like the one I suggested would do great things to overcome the drawbacks of pet pathing problems.

P.S. This is also not a DAoC board, and I currently don't play DAoC, so whats the point in focusing on DAoC pet pathing? I'm worried about what concerns me right now, and expecting Funcom to have pet pathing fixed anytime soon is very unrealistic. From a programming point of view it is very tedious work.
    Last edited by Skysurf; Dec 16th, 2002 at 14:27:07.

Hmmm, looks like i'm not a visionary like I thought..........

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=81002

Oh well, back to the drawing board for more ideas!

=/

A warp pet to master command is a really good idea that would be a big improvement. Since warp coding already exists in the game it seems like it would be pretty simple to assign a command to it.

Another really simple way to improve the situation would be to remove the chairs and tables from the middle of mission rooms. These things don't really add anything to the missions and about half the time the tables and chairs are what the pets get stuck on. Just simply remove those models from the mission rooms and pets would instantly become less problematic with a tiny amount of effort.

There are so many things in the game that could be vastly improved with very simple fixes like these. It's really hard to understand why they don't take the very simple solutions that exist to correct things. They'll spend hundreds of man hours building a new character creation system, which the player only sees for a few minutes, but they won't spend a few hours to implement a really simple fix to a game crippling problem that drives customers away. What an odd company.

I have plenty of pet class freinds, since this game began all of them have said the same thing, "pathing sux"

Give all pet classes a '/pet warp' command.

Put all the commands in the same auto-write window like you did with voice commands(if you don't have NW, if you type /voices help with NW the help window link makes a macro for each voice command automatically).

peace
    cal

and oh yeah BUMP
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

oh dear god someone do something about pathing. im so tired of the constant complaints posts and the ****in demon on everyone/thing....

i BEG you do something.
    GalxandJoan "Toxinator" Rox :: 202 Doc
    He "Tearspoint" Totem :: 215 Nano Tech :: Equipment :: Perks
    General :: Band of Brothers :: Band of Brothers Forums

Account Created
    2001-08-23 04:59:27

Account Status:
    Open

Not a bump

/thread warp
    NutsnBolts 207 Engineer