Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if... (Fixers and Towers)

What if... (Fixers and Towers)

As you all know, attacking a tower warns the guild that they are under attack.

Fixers are supposed to be hackers.

What if you could send a Fixer in and, while the rest of the team covered their butt, they could use a Hacking Tool and B&E to temporarily disarm that warning?

For example:

Disarming the warnings would lock B&E for 30 minutes. None of the towers would alert the guild for 300 seconds. (Give or take) You would perform the hacking on the main Control Tower, and it would disable all alarms.

Comments, suggestions, flames..
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Without more restrictions I think it will be too easily exploitable. Have ten fixers standing by to chain-hack the controller and no one will know of it until the base is down... If this should be implemented, the time check must be done on the controller being hacked, not the fixer hacking it.

--sil

the idea is good, but heh, we'd be asking for an NT nuke if we did such things... oh wait, that already happens to us...
    211 Apprentice Fixer Wigz [gear]
    63 Enforcer Rarrr - Tankz()R!!!

Proud Veteran of Synergy Factor
    ARRRRR!!! Wigz Comics

Retired due to the intentional timesink design of AO.

essiantally a good idea, and it would add realism to the game, however I don't think that the general population would approve of such a thing. I personally would like to see it happen though.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Even if your minds confused,
    then this is what you need to do,
    you need to get that mixed up feeling upside in from out of you" -Mr. Bones

Originally posted by silmaril
    Without more restrictions I think it will be too easily exploitable. Have ten fixers standing by to chain-hack the controller and no one will know of it until the base is down... If this should be implemented, the time check must be done on the controller being hacked, not the fixer hacking it.

--sil
    I was gonna say, the time limit at which you could do it again would be like, 30 minutes, even though the effect would run out long before that.

Edit: Wait, ack, I just realized what you meant.

I'm assuming they'd have to have something to guard against that...maybe an area effect time limit?
    Last edited by MissMaul; Dec 16th, 2002 at 08:44:03.
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Nice idea, although the game is just getting silly with all the artificial limitations implemented : CC, PvP range and all.

In a few months we will need a /help tool like the checklist for building a tower to know what we can do or not in PvP. Well of course lag will prevent us to use it but that's another story.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

screw hacking towers

let us plant bombs one them MWAHAHHA

-BW

i like the idea, it would encourage a guild to "babysit" their towers, and ya, it would have to have some sort of limit on the timing, so such an idea couldnt be exploitable. but ya... nice idea

Nope, wouldn't work.

Why?

Because 99% of a fixers time at towers is being everyone else's buff *****.

Fixer is the worst thing you can take to a tower, trust me.

Lol noway. A fixer with 1 min pvp grace and runspeed. Runs straight to the ql300 controller. Nothing can shot at him (towers, controller) too. It would take 20sec to run from the base border to the controller of a 100 tower base! Then another 20sec to do the hack and finally he runs out. No danger at all for him, and if he still comes in danger then he would use his grid.

So he hacks the controller and the enemies begin to attack. After some time the fixer start again to hack the controller etc. Nothing would inform the org that enemies destroying their base.

Why not give a NT a anti controller nuke? Which blows a ql300 controller in shot?
    You do it cause you have to do it - but you don't do it cause you want to do it.

Re: What if... (Fixers and Towers)

Originally posted by MissMaul
    As you all know, attacking a tower warns the guild that they are under attack.

Fixers are supposed to be hackers.

What if you could send a Fixer in and, while the rest of the team covered their butt, they could use a Hacking Tool and B&E to temporarily disarm that warning?

For example:

Disarming the warnings would lock B&E for 30 minutes. None of the towers would alert the guild for 300 seconds. (Give or take) You would perform the hacking on the main Control Tower, and it would disable all alarms.

Comments, suggestions, flames..
    Hmm maybe this is in place already, plenty of towers being attacked without the guild being notified /me looks closer at patch notes

~aqua
    Kappen Token Trader of Project EDEN LV 217 mind numbing grinding since 1948 well it just seems that long!!!!!

Playing a Trader is like cyber S&M

---------
    "if you dont die in mass pvp your not doing it right"

Originally posted by Whitesand

Why not give a NT a anti controller nuke? Which blows a ql300 controller in shot?
    ROFLMAO
    "A man is someone who has a cause he's willing to fight for and has a woman in his life he'll do anything to protect."
    -SDI Ssgt. Port, USMC, MCRD Parris Island S.C.

Experienced Stars "Stromm" Nstripes - Retired

Fun stuff: 1 2 3 4 (NEW!!)

Originally posted by Whitesand
    They'd still claim they were gimps and needed a love patch.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Honestly tho, I can't see how having fixers disable tower attack messages is a bad thing. So you could have chains of fixers disabling the towers. So?

If a defender relies upon an automated message to tell them when you're under attack, rather than sending out patrols to verify things everyonce in awhile, isn't that the fault of the defender?

Hmm

Much as I like the idea...you start running into time conflicts then. It makes AO too much like work. Ok, m8 A has to go defend the tower for 2 hrs while we're out doing other stuff... Do you know how boring guard duty is?

Like the idea, just wouldnt want to see fixer be able to do it. They got some nice perks already, give it to engi or something.
    Bandersnatch - Opifex Enforcer

Why are you all jumping the gun here? This thread started with a simple hypothetical question, and you are all analyzing this like you were FC devs...

Being able to postpone the alert is a great idea!

Now onto my thoughts about implementation
    It could be done by making it possible to disable warning for a short period on the controll tower only. Actually agents would be most suited, as a high conceal skill would be needed.

The amount of time the alert is postponed could be random, based partly on the B&E skill of the intruder; 0-300 sec ie. The postponement should only be viable once. Weither or not the attempt were to be successfull, it could not be repeated.

As said, it would add to realism, and fit the agent profile perfectly.
    Last edited by Killerdoc; Dec 19th, 2002 at 03:15:26.
    "Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

What's the point? Aren't towers around as an excuse for players to fight each other?

If you could destroy towers without draging players to the fight wouldn't you be spoiling the whole reason towers are in the game? I mean if you could do such a thing, it wouldn't be pvp anymore, it would be gank eachothers free buff dispensors. Woohoo, such fun!

hmm... been thinking about this for a while, instead of blocking the fixers skill for 30Mins, or doing an area effect, how about blocking the controller itself? Once the controller gets hacked by anything, the controller is then unhackable for the determined amount of time.

Yeah, I agree, agents or engis should get the hacking thing if it were to be implemented, of course I'm gonna lean more towards engis
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Even if your minds confused,
    then this is what you need to do,
    you need to get that mixed up feeling upside in from out of you" -Mr. Bones

To the person who mentioned it being for engis-

I was thinking about that. In fact, that exact thing came to mind.."Y'know, Fixers have gotten a lot of love, maybe Engies should get this..."

(BTW, just a note about the nature of this thread; I'm not saying I think it's a good or a bad idea. I'm just throwing this out here for people to discuss.

Carry on, fireplaces are officially banned )
    ~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast