Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Omni Pol attack on neutrals base will spread terrorism!

Originally posted by Flood1

Ah but Azzazzimon, aren't us Neuts supposed to be regarded as Omni-Tek employees anyway, according to some Now we're talking genocide.
    In Notum Wars I only see neutrals as a third faction, if they want to play with land control, they should also play with same rules.

I havn't attacked any neutral base and I really doubt I ever will, but that's more because they are no threat to me and have no land I want.

I have never killed a neutral in normal PvP zone or Camelot (if not by mistake) but in NW it's diffrent.

and Vorteks, I never talk RP in PvP Conflict forum (and I never post in RP forums)
    Last edited by Azzazzimon; Dec 16th, 2002 at 20:26:22.
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

lol....

Sorry, this is too funneh :P

OOC:

Both sides make interesting points, however I do have to say that buying NW as a neut is about the silliest thing I have ever heard of.

How can you guys possibly expect to hang on to anything with FC selling more copies of NW than the game has the abillity to support in equal number of towers?

Fact is, there are what, 5 remaining unclaimed land mass's, all of which someone has dibbs on.

I got 70 people in MoK ready to lay out 3 towers or more each, now obviously, with that in mind I dont really care about neutrals. I care about the people who choose a side, don't play ride the fence and actually willing to put their money where their mouth is (so to speak).

I'm not "anti-neutral." I just do not see any point in a neutral holding land.

Arg
    Argulace
    President
    Total Aggression Gaming
    Mercenaries of Kai (TAG)
    Chapter I. LAYING PLANS "All warfare is based on deception."

eep next time your RP put it in BIG...
    Infamine 200 soljah

1 word : LOL ("MDR" for Vorteks)

OT vs CLAN conflict is no more, Tir accord is no more hence there is no "clan or OT owned land". It's all about guilds owning land. Neutrals are just a third faction... and given its size, an irrelevant faction too.
    Don't try to RP your silly excuses to attack a peaceful guild - everyone wants land, at least have the integrity to say it.
    As Azz said, in the end it's your actions that earn you respect, not your faction.

Originally posted by Jekyll

Again you show your excellent ability to defend your views and give an intelligent answer...

Letah had a point, you realize this, and begin with this patronizing BS as if you're somehow above her and wont stoob to her level. How about a nice intelligent answer to the points she is making?
    Ok, let s play the quote game as you apprearantly like it and i m here to please=)

I ll try to make it understandable...Lets take an easy example :

Somebody is convinced that a cat is a dog...you tell him this is a cat, explain him what a cat is, what the differences between those two animals are, and he still wants to say this is a dog...look this is a dog, he is black and i know there are black dogs, look this is a dog, he has hairs and i know dogs have hairs, look this is a dog, he lives with human beings and i know dogs live with human beings...all you can do is say "yes you are right this is a dog", smile and pray for him to recover his sanity.

Now you can not claim to be "Omni", to take a political stance on a VIRTUAL planet, to condemn a decision of a organisation and his leader that only exists on that virtual planet, to warn that Neutrals of Rubi Ka might choose a terrorist path (I ve never seen a group called Neutrals of Rubi Ka IRL) without OBVIOUSLY being role playing.

If somebody still claims this is not, well he might want to check if he can still make a difference between the virtual world and the real world and IMHO should stop playing right away for his own sake.

But you can also check bionitrous post who explains my point of view may be more clearly than i did (I m not native english speaking)...may be then the words he chose will have a more clear meaning than those i chose.

Anyway this discussion about roleplaying is out of the topic, the topic is : should neutrals be regarded as a target by sided players who have fighting and defense advantages in the pvp conflict and what would be the consequences if they didnt own land (mines)...because of their "natural" weakness.

From what i saw, the players in guilds that participated in the attack back their move saying "this is war, the weakest has to die", which is political stance, others that wouldnt join this kind of party say "attacking neutrals is a sign of greed and cowardness, the weaker has always something positive to bring in any society and should be defended rather than exterminated"

Our approach is of course influenced by the real world, our education, our age and the degree of "social awareness" our family or our larger family (society, culture) has reached.

Meanwhile i will keep my political stance and do my best so that this opinion gets a large echo in my omni community, like anyone who has an opinion and an ambition for his side should. I prefer a complex political scene with 3 or more shades, that a basic black and white painting that would be very poorly stimulating for the mind.

Much better this time Vorteks

But I do think this goes in the Roleplaying forum then. I think this forum is mainly for pvp mechanics, issues etc. and not so much the roleplaying effects of pvp.

(edit: So Vorteks understand, this post was in reply to the above post and nothing else)
    Last edited by Jekyll; Dec 18th, 2002 at 14:54:55.
    Jecc
    200 · Nano-Technician

Equipment

- Every level a player gets past 150, they will be punished with less and less people they can kill
    - Make pure PvP server. 25% suppression in major cities, 5% everywhere else. And no level restrictions.
    One of my ALL Time Favorite websites when I feel down (It's beyond hilarious!)
    ..::Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music::..
    (Disclaimer: My actions, views and comments on these boards in no way reflect my ingame personality)

You say i m not role playing and then you say this should go to the role playing forum....sorry i dont think this is a question of language now, as i dont see any coherence in your sayings, except the need to contradict of course =)

What is Roleplaying

((( Heh...this may be totally the wrong forum for a post like this, but this thread seems to be somewhat bogged down in "What is roleplaying" questions.

Referring to yourself by your ingame name or your ingame guild affiliation does not necessarily mean you are roleplaying. You are simply renaming yourself...that isn't roleplaying.

Roleplaying really means that your character's ingame motivations are independent of you (the player's) motives.

So, if you bought NW and therefore have the desire to put down towers...that isn't roleplay. If you have fun playing mass pvp and therefore you initiate a tower war...that isn't roleplay. If your character is part of a guild that feels it needs more land in order to gain ingame standing/power/whatever and therefore initiate a tower war...that MAY be roleplay.

I doubt I've said anything here that you all didn't already know...but I can't help myself.

Vorteks initial post came across to me as a mix of RP and non-RP. The non-RP arguements are really the only ones that fully apply in this forum and, for the most part, they fail. People who enjoy big pvp battles don't care if Omni/Clan gains or loses towers nearly as much as people who motivate their characters from RP concerns. A non-RP pvper who's out to have fun will basically want to keep more towers than the opposition because of their own personal non-RP pride. These people don't care if attacking neut towers will turn the neuts into clanners, into omnis, or into random terrorists. As long as there is a good fight to be had, they will enjoy themselves.

A RPing pvper may or may not want to have more towers than the opposition...and their reasons for their desire can be very diverse... I think Vorteks may have an interesting RP argument here that may or may not convince Omnis to leave neuts alone, but I doubt it'll make much difference to what happens ingame since the number of pure RPers on RK is pretty small.

As for me, I enjoy a good fight (even though I suck at pvp...and my toon doesn't seem to make up for my lack of skill) and a little RP to go with it. So, I enjoyed helping to take down the neut towers...and the reason I play that game is to have some fun and enjoyment. )))
    Nochnaja

Keep safe, and may the clans fear you.

ok, we had the fighters, we had the opponents, and now we have the referee that wants to give points to both side based on his own understanding of the game. Nothing to blame here, it relaunches the debate, even tho this perticular part of the debate was really off topic and a point of view is always questionable (especially when the author took part in the ingame action).

If you can understand that a basic player, that just follows the stream, doesnt role play and is there just for giving away his hard days left energy before going to bed, without bothering about the consequences of his actions and how far this will alter others players gameplay in the future, this can be easily understood. The military that drops a nuclear bomb is not responsible for the consequences his move, this is the person that took the decision that bears it...

Where does this lead us....To the fact that a leader that takes a decision which will have consequences on other players and on the balance of power can not afford not to role play and have a long term view, simply because his status of leader gives him automaticly a political role. He also has a responsability for his own players, the ones that wear his trademark over the head (guild name), and a move that would alter the reputation of the guild might alter as well the pleasure of playing of the guildmates.

Your point of view is valid for the players whose involvement in the game is limited, certainly not for the leaders, especially when they have an added power of influence by controling the content of a famous mmorpg website.

Regarding your statement that a roleplayer must and will act a different way while he is rping than IRL, i desagree 100%. He will react with what he has inside, which is his personality, his history, his background and environment. You can have the same Robin Woods played by 100s of different actors, you will get 100s of different interpretations because the actor gives away what HE is, no matter how hard he tries to fit in the characters skin.

And yes there is fun in politics and this is what makes notum wars so enjoyable, the fact that AO evolved from a basic "shoot 'em up" to a passionating strategy game.
    Last edited by vorteks; Dec 17th, 2002 at 21:55:06.

I certainly don't believe that you have to play your character 100% independent of your personal feelings...nor do I believe that pure roleplay has to be 100% different than your personal motivations...it's just that your ingame character's motives are what should drive his/her actions if you want to claim pure roleplay. Pure roleplay is when you put yourself fully into the shoes of your character...very hard to do, which is why I don't really do it and neither do many others in AO (perhaps, as Letah points out, because AO isn't exactly designed to make it easy). As you say, however, this is a tangential point to the one you originally are trying to make...however, it does help explain why some might find your arguement less than convincing.

The leader of the guild I am in is indeed in a political position...but the political nature of that position is not necessarily purely sourced from roleplaying. Politics comes from personal interrelations...so if the people the leader is being political with are approaching him in an RP way, then it's RP politics...but if they approach in a non-RP way, then the politics are going to be driven by non-RP things. In my case, I enjoyed the fight, even if RP-wise it isn't wise or otherwise doesn't make sense...so my leader may very well feel political pressure from me to keep doing things like that. As far as I am concerned, if we wipe out every neut base I don't think my fun is going to be diminished, rather it'll be increased...maybe someone who is neut might have less fun if that were to happen, but my guild leader is responsible to me far more than he is to any neut out there.

So, again, I disagree with your arguement and will continue to support these kinds of actions.

It is hard to convince someone who is having more fun in a game than ever before that they shouldn't be doing what they are doing.
    Nochnaja

Keep safe, and may the clans fear you.

We play this game for other reasons Vorteks. I present you.. ME I can do this as best because I can explain how I think, how I act and that it has nothing to do how my mother treated me as a baby IRL.

What is my fun in AO? It's not roleplaying. In fact, I really don't care for roleplaying. I don't do it here in AO, because thats what I didnt buy AO for. I do play Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, thats differnent, I do that because I want to roleplay.

So why am I here?

I love playing in a massive game with a massive amount of real people, thinking people. I hate AI, they are dumb, how smart they are programmed, they still are dumb and no challenge. My fun is comparing my skills against others, be it by tricks, equipement, levels, tactics or whatever. I like to explore how far I can go, so the victim may get pissed of, which is fine because then they will give me a good "fight" (im speaking virtual fights of course).

Now, if I see a base that I think I can level to the ground I try it, and its my fun! If it's neutral only 1 consideration is done in my mind; what will happen to me or my guild. Not in roleplay terms, but in terms of perfomance. If it means my towers all will be wiped then I prolly wont do it. If I can get away with it I will, 1 more point for me.

Gaining strength, fame, fortune, being good, the thrill of battles and the endless struggles to get on top, its fun, its like a sport; you want to achieve something.

If you can understand what "my fun" is you see that I really do not care that someone is neutral. Its just a side, an easy prey maybe, but it can be trickery; they might have the wrong friends.

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yeah I'm back, no need to ask your ebay-check questions

Originally posted by vorteks
    You say i m not role playing and then you say this should go to the role playing forum....sorry i dont think this is a question of language now, as i dont see any coherence in your sayings, except the need to contradict of course =)
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but i wasn't the one saying you were roleplaying
    Jecc
    200 · Nano-Technician

Equipment

- Every level a player gets past 150, they will be punished with less and less people they can kill
    - Make pure PvP server. 25% suppression in major cities, 5% everywhere else. And no level restrictions.
    One of my ALL Time Favorite websites when I feel down (It's beyond hilarious!)
    ..::Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music::..
    (Disclaimer: My actions, views and comments on these boards in no way reflect my ingame personality)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123