Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better starter equipment

Ok. will do. Just to make sure.

I am on RK1. if your not. the tell got to someone else with your name.... Get 'im!!
    General Thoram of the Twin Sun Syndicate

It's funny but I was just sitting down to write a suggestion saying almost the exact same thing as Thoram's idea. He must have read my mind, or I his.

I'm leader of a fairly large guild and I make a point of recruiting a lot of newbies and trying to help them get started in the game. I can tell you from experience that the number one cause of new players quitting in frustration during the 7-day trial is that it is much too hard for them to find a decent weapon to replace the starter weapons. I can also remember having trouble with this myself when I started. The new subway exacerbates the problem because they can go in there and get in a fast leveling team and emerge level 8 or 10 still using their solar starter gun. Then they have almost no money and they can't finish a solo mission for rewards because their gun is too weak. This is when the frustration sets in and Funcom loses yet another customer.

The solution to this massive customer loss is so simple that it's just mind boggling that they don't take it; all they have to do is change the stock in the kiosks in the training grounds to include a generous assortment of low level weapons and armor for each profession. They have a whole room of starter implants arranged in this way in the basic shops, but implants are not where the problem is. I guarantee you that this one simple change would make a noticeable decrease in the amount of customer churn during the 7-day trial.

Finding weapons is, of course, part of the challenge of the game, but you don't want new players to have to face so difficult a challenge when they're still trying to get their first character going. In a game with 200 levels there is plenty of time post level 20 for challenges locating weapons. It's especially important to make things really easy for new players when you're a company who gets most of it's customers from 7-day trial memberships. Getting the customer to stay past that 7-day mark should be job one. Instead Funcom has designed the game to be so hostile to new players that if you didn't know better you'd think they were trying to deliberately drive new players away. They added a new subway dungeon for newbies and the spiffy new character creation but these things do nothing to address the real reasons why new players quit. Some people may not believe this is a real problem, but I can tell you from my experiences working with literally hundreds of 7-day trialers that it is.

There are a number of other causes of newbie frustration that I could name but I won't mention any others so as not to distract from the weapon issue which is the most important point.

Guys, enable private messaging on this forum, this banter back and forth doesnt belong here.

Also, reload weapon is 'r' on your keyboard, if the weapon allows it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12