Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few words on the AO story

A few words on the AO story

After going thoroughly through all the forums I thought it would be helpful if I wrote a post here, out of character so to speak, just to let you people know what is happening with the story and how we are planning to tell it in the forseeable future.

Firstly have to say that stepping in Ragnars footsteps here is not an easy task. The world of Anarchy Online is like a room with thousand corners and when creating its story one has to check each and every one to let it all hang together.

Some of you seem to be worried about us here at Funcom dropping the story, not really caring about player’s actions or wishes when it comes to how the story develops and that everything concerning the future on Rubi-Ka is set in stone. Nothing is further from the truth.

When I started working on the story for AO, the first thing I did was to prepare the physical introduction of actors in the game world, groups of NPC’s representing different story Clans, Omni departments and free agents like Ian Warr’s gang of mercenaries etc. Already some of these are in the game and a lot more is to follow. These story organizations will be the main actors in and set the stage for events and the development of the AO story in general.

It is quite obvious that we need a patch to get these groups (new NPC's, uniforms, items, signs, offices, quests etc.) out to the live servers and the plan is to introduce a couple at the time like we have started doing. Some of these organizations, or factions, are peaceful; others will be demanding their space, like The Sentinels.

Even though the story Clans and Departments are not open for players to join them, it is not thereby said that they will not have to adapt to what players do and say, just like players will be forced to take into account the different policies these groups enforce. Player organizations together with NPC organizations are all a part of and create the Rubi-Ka community.

As well as introducing new factions, the ones already on the arena will be reformed to adapt to what is happening on Rubi-Ka. Just remember; those are run by NPC's with their own ambitions and agendas and they will not necessarily react in the way you would expect them to.

At the moment the story is developing on several different plains. Firstly it is the long term story, secondly the story leading into and through the Shadowlands and thirdly the day to day development on Rubi-Ka. The last one being developed jointly by you the players and us; the story team here at Funcom.

Player actions, events and web material are an ongoing element in the development of the story. Meanwhile we here in the story team observe how the Notum Wars rage, what people write on the boards and we play the game most every day to get feedback from the average player. From all that, we gather the information we need to prepare our portion of the short term storytelling for the next patch, make the items, nanos, change locations in the world and create NPC’s and their dialogues.

Oh! And one last thing; The interesting thing about coming to new and strange places is usually not to actually see the sights, but rather not to know what you are going to experience, never knowing what is behind the next corner.

May you live in interesting times

Thanks for showing some interest and letting us know that you are looking at what we the players are doing and that yes you are in fact still working on storyline things. I am glad to hear that we the players can and do have an effect on your storyline plans. Thanks for your time and work.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Wink yeah

yeah, thank you ,)
    tradeskillz ?

Thanks and one point

Very cool to hear some insights from one the guys responsible for keeping the story line active. I've enjoyed it to this point and plan to continue enjoying it until the end, so keep up the good work. I'm anxious to see where you want to take us.

The only point I can think to make, and this may be from my point in the game, is that most younger players are not getting involved in the storyline. They pretty much just end up leveling and just know that the situation changes every now and then. However, learning about and getting involved in the larger storyline has been pretty much relegated to the opening web page before you log on. I would like to see more ways to get people who want to be involved in the story a chance to, something to get new players involved right from the get-go. Lord knows I'd like to know what's going on on the larger playing field for my side, and I'm sure others would to.

Just my ramblings. Think of it what you will. I'm going to go eat lunch now.

/me jumps up from his seat, applauding madly!!!

Thank you so SO much for finally clearling that up! A lot of us were getting worried, but I think this will certainly calm that.

Thanks a bunch for popping in

I never worried for a second!

/me throws the bottle of nerve medicine away

Great to hear this though

This is great news.
    This also makes all the Omni-Trans in Trade signs make more sense.

Excellent! I too appreciate the update on where things stand, and I look forward to seeing what will happen next.

I just hope you don't force the Sentinels down our throats much longer.
    The Deacon of Doom
    www.gridstream.org

Thanks

I was worried for the rplaying enviroment decline since the departure of the original writer of the storyline. However after your post, I think things are clear. RK has a storyline, and you're working on it hard. I hope to see the changes you've mentioned in the coming months. Thanks for the update.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

This makes me worry what in the world these changes could be. And how they will affect the already unstable political environment on Rubi-Ka. It is already hard enough to conduct any sort of diplomatic relations with Funcom shoveling PvP down our throats.

Dont get me wrong, I do appreciate very much your concern for us as players and such in that you pay attention to us. But I am still worried about what your future changes might mean for solid RP'ers like me.

And I hope you dont mean that you will be implementing more people like Simon Silverstone, or the way he was implemented. That whole fiasco was an insult me and all the things I tried to do for the CoA. I had the highest hopes for the organization. Our members patrolled the streets of Tir for months before the Notum Wars. And in one foul swoop you destroyed everything that we were trying to do.

While I am no longer with the CoA that is not my concern. But I simply wish to use that as an example of how in the past Funcom has paid "No Attention" to the players, and what was going on in their world. It seemed like one day Funcom decided "Hey, Lets have the Sentinels come into Tir and kick out the ICC. Technically beginning the 4th Civil War so that we can sell Notum Wars. And lets totally ignore everyone in the games work for the last few months so we can make some more money."

That doesnt say much for Funcom really paying attention to us. And this is simply my oppinion. Dont take this as everyone in the CoA feels this way. But I know a few that agree that that move was total Fubar, and very ummm.... "Omni-Tek" of Funcom.

So my point is, until I see a little more adaptation to the world of the players this will be fairly hard for me to swallow.

And please dont take this personally. Its not your fault this happened. This is just a statement of my feelings.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Good to hear that the story isn't dead. Is anything being done to address the prevailant atmosphere that all player guild actions have been largely ignored?

And one more thing do the devs favor the clans? Otherwise why are the clans getting a bunch of items named after them such as CAS armor, Arcanum sunglasses and suntan lotion, Storm solar pistols, and only one Div 9 plasmaprojector?

/me wants a gold ceremonial Omni-Pol armor colored like the yellow flash Yalm.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Oh yes

And one more thing while I'm on my little rant. I am noticing more and more that Story ARKs are getting involved with the Omni side of things. When do the Clanners get some kind of fun. Nothing would thrill me more than to see a nice little green name walking towards me. I dont care if he/she was running at me with an Omni Flame Thrower spitting flames at me. Some notice that we exist to Funcom would be nice.

JHÞ - thanks a lot! I can only echo the sentiments of those who precede me in this post. Everything you've said is great news indeed. Thanks for sharing, and maintaining/restoring the faith in the faithful!

Benjacrat - Hmmm. I don't know if this is a factor, but RPing (i.e. what the Events ARKs do) may be harder with the Clan player-base than the Omni-Tek player-base due to the lower number of RPing Clan players...

Before that comment gets me flamed to Omni Prime and back, yes I know there are plenty of clan players who RP, come on I know that, I RP with a fair few of you myself!! I'm simply suggesting from personal experience, and hearing the comments from a large number of clan RPers, that trying to RP in the clan community is a lot harder than it is in the OT community. The numbers of RPing players simply isn't there.

Frustratingly, when I have my clan alt logged on *cough*, I'm lucky if I can get another clanner to even talk back to me IC'ly - and it doesn't matter where I am, I have and do try everywhere.

If I take Boney up north looking for some confrontational RP, again I'm very very lucky if anyone will reply to me IC'ly, no matter how 'OT' I act IC'ly, I just usually get a load of lame OOC taunts from l33t pl@y0rz. I won't even touch on the "who are you Bonefish/SPARTA/OTSEC/spot-the-player-who-doesn't-read-the-news/forums/anything/we're-off-to-level-now-seeya-baldy".

Been there, seen it, done it, tried it, hell... I'm still trying it... alone and together with other OT players/clan-alt players.

Flip that around, and I can guarantee I could grab a random player running around Omni-1 and 50% of them would either a) answer me IC'ly, or b) have a reasonable knowledge of the current "player-storyline" via the news on the website and/or forums, and basically have some knowledge of who is who.

Total respect has to go to the few clan die-hard RPers I know, those several players I speak to semi-regularly in the Mercury Dragons, Lillemjau of AIL, Redruum, Sware, a collection of several Mockers, and recently the nice little confrontation I had with Braedon in The Cup. (which was v.nice!)

But together with a few others (who I know of, but have no experience of), you guys are sadly the few. I wish it were otherwise. But it's not.

Perhaps, I don't know, but perhaps that's why there are more Events ARKs in OT cities? Greater number of RPing players? Substantially increased chance of having some meaningful anything with the players they talk to?

Garret "Bonefish" Silvestrini
    Director - SPARTA
    Chairman of the Omni-Tek Security Council

Founding Member of the Omni-Tek Security Council (OTSEC)

The Omni-Tek Security Council is dedicated to ensuring the company’s security and interests against all threats, coordinating any action deemed necessary to protect corporate assets and personnel.

garret.silvestrini@ot-sparta.org | www.ot-sparta.org

I don't know what the roleplay climate is like on the Omni side as I have spent very little time over there, but I often find myself wishing there were more roleplay situations that presented themselves wherever I am. I, too, enjoyed our little "discussion" at The Cup the other day, Bonefish.

I wish those types of scenes would occur often enough that I wouldn't feel obligated to send a sincere OOC thank you afterwards.

That being said, AO is at least better than any other MMORPG I've played that didn't have a dedicated RP server. And, maybe even better than some of those.
    The Deacon of Doom
    www.gridstream.org

Yes, Bonefish its definately harder to RP on the Clan side. But does that mean that they shuoudlnt? The Challenge is half the fun. Maybe they need some people a bit more dedicated...?

The challenge should be in the rp itself, not trying to locate someone to rp with in the first place.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

It's funny, but several Omni defectors to my guild left Omni partly becuase of the LACK of RP on the Omni side! HEHE!
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    -Whisper's Edge-

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

gar...trust me Vix, I know for a fact that the Greenies appear to Omni and in Omni cities more than they do to Clanners.

I think it was more a reflection on lack of RPing people rather than where the greenies are. Don't need a greenie to RP.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    -Whisper's Edge-

Kissysuzuki -

Yes Vix, but my point was that Clan doesnt get much FC attention pertaining to RP. Not that we cant RP without the Greenies. I t would just be nice for them to show some type of interest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast