Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Players Attitudes

I agree with the last 2 posters except they aren't walking our world they are playing AO! hehe

some people in this game are complete asses

/me whistles innocently.
    GalxandJoan "Toxinator" Rox :: 202 Doc
    He "Tearspoint" Totem :: 215 Nano Tech :: Equipment :: Perks
    General :: Band of Brothers :: Band of Brothers Forums

Account Created
    2001-08-23 04:59:27

Account Status:
    Open

Darren1, Ashe- I came from DAoC about year ago and i have to agree. The people in DAoC just seem alot more friendly, in general.

I honestly think it has something to do with the atmosphere itself. If you're in Omni-1, the music is dark, the world is dark, and it sort of puts people in a different mindset than the bright, cheery DAoC world does.

In my experience, it's true that people on the Clan side seem more helpful. I personally think it's the effect of the cheerier music and visuals.

/shrug

Too bad DAoC bored the crap out of me- I had a really cool guild over there. =P
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Re: /me agree

Originally posted by Ashe
    I came over from DAoC as well and really even the worst of the DAoC servers wasn't quite close to the ub3rd00d l33torama that seems to go on in AO.

I moved over after a long time watching the game (beta tested it originally and found the lag and the bugs to be very unappealing) and deciding the that I'd had enough of swords and magic after EQ, AC and DAoC and decided to give the game a shot.

Needless to same the game model is alot better now than it was in beta. And I really like the game now quite a bit.

But there doesn't seem to be much of a friendly atmosphere coming from the other players really.

I got recruited into an organization by some guy that seemed really helpful but now is far to busy to bother responding to me if I ask him a question in game....I mean why bother, they have me paying their 2000 credit organization tax.

I ask questions in the organization chat and get no response. And actually had one person tell me "figure it out n00b".

Overall the most friendly and helpful people in AO so far are the people with access to the OT Newbie OOC channel (can't say for Clan since I don't play that side) and all those people are level 10 and below and 80 percent of them are transplants like me that don't know diddly about the game yet.

When I went to DAoC within a few days I knew enough about the game to play it effectively and stop rerolling characters because I wasn't specializing correctly. At my current rate in AO, I'll probably have to reroll each class I decide to try three or four times and figure it out on my own....because most of the time the citizens of RK2 can't be bothered to answer a question in the OOC channel.

Unless of course I'm offering money. Or running around in a thong looking like a subway 10 credit whore. Then everyones really helpful.....men at least....go figure.

Next time you log in type

/org leave

Re: /me agree

Originally posted by Ashe
    When I went to DAoC within a few days I knew enough about the game to play it effectively and stop rerolling characters because I wasn't specializing correctly. At my current rate in AO, I'll probably have to reroll each class I decide to try three or four times and figure it out on my own....because most of the time the citizens of RK2 can't be bothered to answer a question in the OOC channel.

Unless of course I'm offering money. Or running around in a thong looking like a subway 10 credit whore. Then everyones really helpful.....men at least....go figure.
    since you are on the boards already, i suggest going to the profession boards and reading the discussions, suggestions, and sticky threads. amazing how much more helpful people are on the prof boards because they are there to try to help each other out and have the time if they are responding.

nothing wrong with rerolling a bunch of times. the low level is where most of the fun is.

also, if anyone ever has basic questions about the game, feel free to send me a tell in game, and I will try and take the time to answer. However occasionally I am busy (you know, getting my ass kicked by a Boss), so If I dont answer, I am not being rude, please feel free to tell me again after 10 minutes or so, if I see it, I will atleast tell you I am busy, and when I might be free

If you are rude when asking, I will ignore you however

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Helping out new players is one thing, but people are exploiting the generosity of some people... beggars are just alts of high end people who are to lazy to actually work for their credits.
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

Hmm.. if you are being charged tax, its one of those temporary "leech" guilds who makes money from you. Do you realise the banks are closed, and none of the cash you are being taxed will ever be available to you in the foreseeable future? As has already been said, leave that damned guild NOW! Get out before you are leeched skint!

RP aside, I find that OT are a cold bunch, not particularly friendly, with the exception of the very few. Due to the "ideal" of the clanners, and their struggle against the oppression, the nicer people tend to gravitate towards Clan. As has been said, OT are percieved to be "evil". Neutrals tend to be quiet but polite, and generally friendly. We clanners like Neuts

Before judging the game any further, move to clan or, preferably, start a clan alt. See how it is in Tir, make some contacts. In conversaion, always make a point of asking people if they have a high level main. They may not be as n00b as you suspect, and may have a lot of valuable information to impart. They may even introduce you to a good guild

Good luck!
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

Originally posted by Centurion3
    Helping out new players is one thing, but people are exploiting the generosity of some people... beggars are just alts of high end people who are to lazy to actually work for their credits.
    Was this said in jest? I hope so! I have NEVER begged for creds, nor have any of the other high level players I know. We pass our creds down to our alts, and finance ourselves and our "families".

Any high level player who starts an alt and begs needs shooting. Repeatedly.
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

Originally posted by Ntrox The MP Gimp

Was this said in jest? I hope so! I have NEVER begged for creds, nor have any of the other high level players I know. We pass our creds down to our alts, and finance ourselves and our "families".

Any high level player who starts an alt and begs needs shooting. Repeatedly.
    Dead serious, granted I have been around for awhile now and credits are more easily come by now then they where then.... but you will not belive the people that has begged me for money... Its hard to feel sorry for the level 10 MA in full Omni-Pol suit pretending he needs money for this vital nano crystal.
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

As someone who came to AO from EQ I think there is one major difference between the games that might help account for players attitutes toward each other: EQ was engineered to make players dependent on each other. If you want to go somewhere, you can spend 30 or 40 minutes walking or taking a boat, or you can find a wizard or druid to insta-port you. There is literally no way for most classes to heal themselves above 50%. Soloing without twinking is almost impossible after about level 15. Come to think of it, those are all a big part of the reason I no longer play EQ, but you can see how this state of mutual dependence might incline people to play nicer with each other.

Having said all that, there are plenty of jerks in EQ too. I'm not convinced AO really has a worse community. I have been surprised to occassionally see something like someone asking in OOC where to find Commander Brock (a basic question most clanners should be able to answer) and not getting any replies, but I've seen worse things in EQ. I tend to agree with the theory that there is a certain percentage of the player base in both games which are somewhat socially-challenged.

If you migrate to RK1, I'll help you!
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

what are u on

in my day u typed go east or examine. if u felt like saying for f $%K
    s$£E pick up the spade u stuped b$£%^£&d all u got back was ( i do not reconise that) now repete
    Last edited by Sebor; Dec 14th, 2002 at 11:35:31.

i've been playing since july and have come across very few rude people in the game. most have been very friendly and helpful. maybe cause i'm clan

even a friend of mine who is comming to AO from ac and ac2 says people in AO are more friendly.

ah well, different times, different places... if we were all clan, we'd have happy faces

<hmm.. that sounded kinda neat....>

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Been around all sorts in AO. There have been the absolute bottom of the barrel type people (Captfallout and that nit that was Clan around release that made it a point to harass everybody). Then there have been the ones that should have temples named after them (Dovve, many members of GSP).

Just cause the world is virtual doesn't mean it isn't populated by the same mix of saints and sinners, with a mishmash mix of everything in between
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12