Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stop patching all the time!

Come on...

In a multi user environment (thousands) there will always surface things that an in-company test group can´t possibly find out (time, resources, sheer number of players etc.). That applies to any kind of release, big patch, expansions etc.

I am actually totally amazed that a massively PvP product like NW with all the land-control specifics has gone down as well as it has done. It must take a minimum of 40 skilled people to "really" test the balance (probably 100+) . Yet, no heavyweight "fixes" have been necessary since day 3 or so after release, just some tuning and enhancing. Good job I´d say!

Personally I prefer "fix it if you know it´s there" rather than "let it slide and fix it.. later." That´d piss me off.

Originally posted by wrecklass

Nice job of being totally clueless Abrikoosje! Do you always engage your keyboard a half hour before your brain wakes up or does it just never wake up?

I am not a fan of AO, in fact I have stated in many posts I think it is ashame all of the potential this game has that has been wasted. Funcom has done a horrible job of managing one of the most promising games out there.

However, I do have 20 years of software development experience, and I stand by the statement. There are lots of complex issues with software of this type. Pleasing customers, pleasing investors and pleasing the test community is all very difficult. You know who they have to please the most? It's not always the customers, its the investors.

Remember that Funcom currently has the smallest number of subscribers of any MMOG available right now. Without investors, they aren't going to stay alive forever. They don't have the massive backing of a SOE behind them, so they can't afford to always make decisions that are gonna please their subscribers.

Do I like that? No, but I'm in the software industry, so I understand the pressure they are under.

BTW, sorry for coming off so harshly at the beginning there Abrik, I relealize that many people here, like yourself, just don't understand, and so you make the assumption that anyone who doesn't join the whiners is a fan. In my case it is just because I'm not a whiner
    Well sorry as a consumer I don't need to know or care about your company or your company's problems etc!!! Simply i just wanna use the product =) (as advertised )
    Dreamerxx - Doctor Current Setup Future Hope

Dreamerll - Soldier Babe

Dankala - Loved MP

Wound on the bone can heal but a wound from words may fester

So Should I not complain about the downtime? I don't have that right since FC has to please their investors?

I should keep my mouth shut and be in awe of what they do is soooo complex???

Well I pay them to do it, and all I suggest is that they try and patch it in one time ... not seperate patches all the time ...

They put up a fix patch, and take the servers down for 6 hours ... no problemo with that imo ... they can do this every week...

but make it so that the patch doesnt need an emergency fix all the time...

Last three weeks there have been three patches and all three needed "immediate" or "a day delay" patching...

That's annoying for me as a customer... I can't post about that cos FC has to please their investors? Sorry but I can post whatever I want about that ...

And you're still a fanboy imo ...

Re: Come on...

Originally posted by Myrkon
    In a multi user environment (thousands) there will always surface things that an in-company test group can´t possibly find out (time, resources, sheer number of players etc.). That applies to any kind of release, big patch, expansions etc.

I am actually totally amazed that a massively PvP product like NW with all the land-control specifics has gone down as well as it has done. It must take a minimum of 40 skilled people to "really" test the balance (probably 100+) . Yet, no heavyweight "fixes" have been necessary since day 3 or so after release, just some tuning and enhancing. Good job I´d say!

Personally I prefer "fix it if you know it´s there" rather than "let it slide and fix it.. later." That´d piss me off.
    Yeah they couldnt find that on test? lol ... the last bug I could understand, perhaps even the first one too, but the 2nd one ... lmao ...:

-A bug where towers would have wrong title level requirements has been fixed.

-The top Omni-Tek Award Boards, Flags of Glory and Redemption, now correctly add 950 to max health and nano pool.

-Zoftig Blimp has received some immunity abilities, to allow him to carry out his trade in peace.

I'll just say this:
    I'm excited about every patch, because I know it's an attempt to improve the game in some way. Of course it sucks not being able to play when you want to, but I happily sacrifice my playtime every patch, no matter how small.

To tell Funcom to stop patching all the time... I can't get my mind around that. Unbelievable...
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

I'm all for patches... If they can fix my problem with getting stuck in missions, or running through five or six rooms and then getting zapped back to the room I started in, then I am fully in support of patches.

I played the AO beta... AO may be buggy now, but it's pretty nice compared to how messed up it was during beta. Progress is good. Keep the patches comin'.

Originally posted by Mharc
    I'll just say this:
    I'm excited about every patch, because I know it's an attempt to improve the game in some way. Of course it sucks not being able to play when you want to, but I happily sacrifice my playtime every patch, no matter how small.

To tell Funcom to stop patching all the time... I can't get my mind around that. Unbelievable...
    What great patches there have been the last two weeks

Originally posted by Bitterness
    I didn't read the thread, because I know what the replies are.

To all who agreed with that mass of idiotic tripe Abrikoosje spouted:
    U R DUM

To all who disagreed:
    U R NOT DUM
    U R teh UBER mr bitterness... with yer 18 posts...

Ow yeah I know your gripe... woke up with an empty feeling in your ass?

/ignore

Hey, I'm all for patches, too. I just prefer the patches that don't need patches to patch patches because of patching done for patches that didn't patch the patching of patches. Other than that, go ahead and patch.

Judging a person by their postcount is just stupid. It's like saying "I'm a better person than you and my opinion is more valid because I can sit in front of a computer screen and post random comments on an internet message board MORE than you".

Maybe the downtime is a gift. Maybe it's telling us to get up and do something with our life for a few hours, rather than sit on a message board and gripe about it all day. Things outside of AO actually do exist.

Originally posted by Abrikoosje
    What great patches there have been the last two weeks
    I did not say there have been great patches, nor was I speaking about the past two weeks in particular.

But if you must know: I really enjoyed the new glasses and hats.

/ignore
    Your intellect is quite impressive.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

I would rather have funcom patch and fix, than evil lil cheaters exploiting their way to uberness

Bitterness

/ignore
    Actually, I recently canceled. Here's a little hint, you ******* wannabe: Beep Beep Little Satellite

Beep beep little satelite,
    please please shine your guiding light...

Now what is wrong with me? I cant get this friggin song out of my skull... thanx alot, youve damned me for suffering forever!

Catchy tune though.
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

Bookmarked... ARGH! NO! DELETED!
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

The point of this post was not wheter patches is good or bad (it's good, of course, since it fixes the bugs), but rather the way FC is handling this.

ok FC this is my idea

If u need to patch make it at different hours...

Why allways when i come back ? i know ur employees have ~ same hours than mine but why not more in the morning ?

Ur game is played all around the wolrd, annoying allways same ppl is not funny for me... cuz i am allways annoyed
    Vaultcitizen ADV 190. Teh pistol gimpness
    Catspawgirl NT 171. Pnh/Ior Dispenser
    Mareva Fix 167. GSF, Hot and fix grid Dispenser
    Canigou MP 135. CI Dispenser
    Pipboy2001 MA 80ish in gamboling doing /fblock.

Rubi-Ka 1

allways /tell Vaultcitizen

Probably, I am alive at the opposite time zone of Funcom.
    It is a earth opposite side.

I am ok to being carried out in this time zone.
    I agree that this time zone is best.

But,please don't do it repeatedly among one week......

Test patches on TEST-server, make sure they work there, then and only then patch them on live!!!!!

Sure some bugs might not be seen on test since there are not as many players on there but even bugs that are reported on test makes it to live..........

I think it is good that u are trying to find bugs and fix them, but please please pretty please with sugar on top. Do it on TEST first.

Have a nice day all

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast