Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stop patching all the time!

Lightbulb

SORRY, but I tend to agree that this game is patched WAY too much. If a game needs 8 patches a month, that's not a good thing. Yes, bugs and such need to be fixed but larger, more play-tested patches need to be applied.

I can only play this game for 2-3 hours Max a day. So when the server is down on my leisure time, I lose out.

More frustrating is when they patch, screw up, run an emergency patch, screw that up, and then patch again all in the same day.

Patches are supposed to fix bugs, not create them. If AO patched less and play-tested more... we all would be able to play more often, with less bugs. Simple.

P.S

Don't complain about people complaining, it makes you a hypocrite!

"Complaining" is a large part of what this forum is for. Without complaints from the Players many bugs, fixes, and ideas never would of been implemented. Hooray for "Complainers!".

Exclamation

Hmm...

Fact one Funcom did bring new version 14.6 (followed even worse 14.7). I think they could stop patching at all until they don't test game on Test server. This is Live server so patches could come here only when it is well tested!

Fact 2 all that is because FC want push out Expansion Pack (Notum Wars) they did push really hard and they did only really poor testing. Result is simple Expansion Pack bring only something called Land Control (for guild) and PvP content.

Fact 3 mine play until two month ago was nice and game had few glitches. Of course all L200 and people who play AO one year did complain about nothing new or to do in game. I'd pay two accounts with 6 months subscription. So for me was all new and I'd want to play and I personaly hate PvP.

Fact 4 mine subscriptions on both accounts are canceled one month ago and I play now full time Earth & Beyond. I know E&B is simple nice game, but I'm causual player. I'm not hardcore player who can spend 12 hours daily play this damned game. All what I'd expect from game was two hours play (maximally) per day and no more than 10 hours per week!

Fact 5 all pathes and bugs are result poor planned and marketing decision about Notum Wars (Expansion Pack). It make no sence pay for few MB 20$ when game is now in beta stage!

Fact 6 not all players want PvP and AO turning in PvP game. No place for neutrals and people who just want play few hours. Guild and other stuff is only for hardcore PvP.

Fact 7 at start this game looks promising for neutral player who wants play and find friends, but in PvP you make no friends only ebnemies, sorry I've enough violence in real life.

Patches are only oposite side of same coin. FC can't take more money from customers than they do want to pay. Even theirs sale department want to. First they need add stuff test it really deep on test server and patch only when it's necesary. E&B have policy only one patch per month and they even still need after monthly patch do one or two post patches. Imagine FC doing significant patches twice in month with much smaller development team! What could be result?

People will complain that it rains too much, they will complain when its sunny too much, they will complain when things are going good, going bad going indifferent.

Simply put, people that complain for the lamest things will complain about everything.

I rather see once a week patches, small ones that continue to fix things and break less. Instead of having one huge patch once a month rendering the game unplayable.

Grow up kids. Its a game, not life.
    - Cyrus Cyblade7 Crown
    - General of Redemption

Originally posted by Nopex
    patch as often as necessary even though those patches allways cost me a day of playing :/

dear FC please try to avoid the second downtime after the patch is up.
    That was my point...

besides :

A bug where towers would have wrong title level requirements has been fixed.

The top Omni-Tek Award Boards, Flags of Glory and Redemption, now correctly add 950 to max health and nano pool.

Zoftig Blimp has received some immunity abilities, to allow him to carry out his trade in peace.

I hardly call that an emergency patch

thats not what im pissed off about... they can patch as much as they need to..... But god damnit do it right the frist Time !!

if you need to take 4 weeks to make it work or more do it..just do it right!!! so you dont need to make 8-9 fixs befor we can play the game again

Do it Right!

thats all im asking
    3dmax is a way of life

210 Ma. Techlog
    175 Doc. Tecdoc
    145 Mp. Tecmeta

*sigh*

First of all, there IS a lot of bugs in the game. But why complain when they are fixing stuff AND adding new items (I know, minor additions, but hey it's always something new to strive for)... Ungratefulness is what keeps the world running, can you say that in English?

Just my humble opinion.

Xeph
    Rubber "Zhoknerfer" Critducky - Gear & Perks - Level 210 :: 11 - Opifex Martial Artist Guru
    Rubber "Xephydes" Ducky - Level 214 :: 2 - Nanomage Meta-Physicist Deity - Clan Meta-Physicist since February 19th, 2002
    Rubber "Premortem" Stabducky - TL5 :: 7 Opifex Shade

On extended leave... Awaiting Lost Eden I guess

Arcane Circle

WoW: Premortem, Night Elf Rogue, Draenor EU Server

This is stupid....
    6 hours patch...
    3 hours more turning into over 7 hours already....
    RK1 is up and RK2 still down like a dirty whore....
    I am so piss

/unbuckles his belt and pulls it off his pants
    /shout Rudeboyz, time for some whipping. Pull down your pants."

Talking

Ahhh, calm down old fool. Rudeboyz has not been bad so stop spanking him...

/shout "Spank me instead."
    /pulls down her pants

Abrikoosje, you like that don't you?
    Why don't you pull down your pants and we can play house?

/unbuckles his belt and pulls it off his pants
    /shout Abrikoosje time for some whipping. Pull down your pants or up your skirt and down your panty."
    /shout YEEEHHHAAAAAA

patch all you want, just change the patching times around now and then so those who play during "normal" patching hours dont always get the downtime....

Originally posted by MrBunny
    You guys missed the point of the author's post. The point of the post is not to complain the necessity of patching, but the fact that the patching themselves are not properly tested and as a result of the patches not being properly tested, leads to more patching of the previous patches in order to fix any problems which had arose from the intial patches. Which equals to longer down time.

Funcom a professional Online Gaming company, with their staff that is assumed to be competent, is simply EXPECTED to be at least able to introduce a patch that does not consequently require an "emergency" patch to fix, 30 minutes later upon being released live. They are afterall, a company with a clientele.

Again, its not the author's intent to challenge the legitimacy of whether a patch is needed or not. The author of the thread, is simply asking why it is not within Funcom's power to be more professional concerning the integrity of their patches.

But I think we already know why Funcom isn't that great with patching anyway.
    Yeah thats the point. This is not the first time i presume.... neither the second time
    Dreamerxx - Doctor Current Setup Future Hope

Dreamerll - Soldier Babe

Dankala - Loved MP

Wound on the bone can heal but a wound from words may fester

I'm sure that Funcom is always glad to get feedback from so many people who have written extraordinarily complex massively multi-user software such as AO, or any of the other MMOG's

These games are complex, way complex. This isn't like writing software to beat your cat at Tic-Tac-Toe. Bugs happen, new problems surface that can't be found until thousands of people get online.

Frankly, knowing a thing or two about writing software myself, I'm amazed these games work as well as they do the majority of the time...

Really guys, do something else for 6-9 hours a week, let them patch their little hearts out
    Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury

Hell if it fixes the problems then patch 3-4 times a week for all I care.
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

Originally posted by wrecklass
    These games are complex, way complex. This isn't like writing software to beat your cat at Tic-Tac-Toe. Bugs happen, new problems surface that can't be found until thousands of people get online.
    [/B]
    Yes, that's what Test is for, to test it, THEN release it on live. When they were patching to 14.5 there was a bunch of bugs reported on Test that were never even fixed before they applied the patch to their Live servers, causing them to have to de a reboot the next day to fix some bugs that were reported weeks ago.

For the past patches, they didn't even bother updating Test to test their patches. Live has changed into Test atm, so no I don't agree they can reboot all they want because there are alternatives to find out about the bugs. Besides, many bugs aren't complex at all unlike you assume, like changing the modifiers on the OT merit board, the tower level requirements. Maybe blackdoors were a bit harder to *try* to fix, but they failed trying to fix it.
    Last edited by Crestfall; Dec 13th, 2002 at 10:56:11.

Originally posted by Alantria
    Really guys, do something else for 6-9 hours a week, let them patch their little hearts out
    you mean 6-9 hours a day
    3dmax is a way of life

210 Ma. Techlog
    175 Doc. Tecdoc
    145 Mp. Tecmeta

Originally posted by wrecklass
    I'm sure that Funcom is always glad to get feedback from so many people who have written extraordinarily complex massively multi-user software such as AO, or any of the other MMOG's

Frankly, knowing a thing or two about writing software myself, I'm amazed these games work as well as they do the majority of the time...
    *tosses cookie to wrecklass*

Good job Fanboy! Nice Fanboy

Historically, they used to patch on friday just before their office closed. Believe me - patch all you like. Take 12 hours to do so if you like. Patch the next day if necessary. Just make sure you have time to identify the problems and fix them.

For those who remember: 12.61 rue the day!
    Sometimes, old fixers die in Bitterness.

Wink

Originally posted by Abrikoosje

*tosses cookie to wrecklass*

Good job Fanboy! Nice Fanboy
    Nice job of being totally clueless Abrikoosje! Do you always engage your keyboard a half hour before your brain wakes up or does it just never wake up?

I am not a fan of AO, in fact I have stated in many posts I think it is ashame all of the potential this game has that has been wasted. Funcom has done a horrible job of managing one of the most promising games out there.

However, I do have 20 years of software development experience, and I stand by the statement. There are lots of complex issues with software of this type. Pleasing customers, pleasing investors and pleasing the test community is all very difficult. You know who they have to please the most? It's not always the customers, its the investors.

Remember that Funcom currently has the smallest number of subscribers of any MMOG available right now. Without investors, they aren't going to stay alive forever. They don't have the massive backing of a SOE behind them, so they can't afford to always make decisions that are gonna please their subscribers.

Do I like that? No, but I'm in the software industry, so I understand the pressure they are under.

BTW, sorry for coming off so harshly at the beginning there Abrik, I relealize that many people here, like yourself, just don't understand, and so you make the assumption that anyone who doesn't join the whiners is a fan. In my case it is just because I'm not a whiner

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast