Thread: Why the CD?

Angry Why the CD?

I bought my copy of NW at Akersmic in Kongensgate (in Oslo/Norway) during the lunch on monday. I registered the code after lunch. When I came home I popped teh CD in the my computer. To my amazement the istall button was shadowed and the Play button was highlighted.

Why all this running around when all the NW stuff was installed during patching? Couldn't we just enable NW through the register function on the web and get charged when next payment was due? This would have saved a lot of running and seaching after the booster and everyone would have equal opportunity to start with NW at the same time.

And FC would saved a lot of money on distribution. The only usefull thing in the package was the Rubi-ka map (except for the code that is).
    "You don't win a war by dying for your country, you win a war by letting the enemy die for his country"
    General Patton

CD worked fine for me. Installed a few files, mostly related to the new voice stuff, but hey...also has a patched up version of AO.

Saves me patching up from 11.0 again.
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Incentives

It is not very hard to see that FC wants get a "pull" in the market through the retail sector.

FC has not succeeded selling subscriptions in the retail sector before (when everyone can download it through the Internet). This "stunt" creates incentives for the retail sector to push not only NW, but Anarchy Online out in the shelves again - and FC will start selling more subscriptions.

I think this is a clever move from FC, IF their distributors did a good job (which obviously is not the case).

Isabella9

I havn't installed the CD yet, but NW works great
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

I can see your point

regarding getting more subscribers and getting the game visible in the stores again. But maybe FC should think this through before Shadowlands are released.

Those of us with broadband can update and register trhough internet making it easier for those less fortunate get the CD's in the store. In the days prior to NW was released hardlyu anyone I spoke to in the different stores knew what NW was. They even did not have it on their distributorlist from their distributors. This witness to poor marketing of the game prior to release.
    "You don't win a war by dying for your country, you win a war by letting the enemy die for his country"
    General Patton

If you did'nt install stuff from the Cd, I would guess that you are missing the voices (seriously chessy dont worry about it)...

And the other things you will be missing is the nice new sky textures, and i think some of the towers look nicer with he add on installed, so basically, you dont need it to go in to tower shop and such... but DO need it to get the new graphics ?

Just a guess... btw.., the new skys are great, it give sooo much more realism seeing space ships flying around in the rubi-ka night sky... very cool

BTW 90 mill for a yalm ?? jesus !!

Theo.

Sure it is new?

I did not install the CD and still see spaceships in the sky. At home I usually have to play without sound as the computer are in the livingroom and my wife prefer to listen to the telly. With other words I have no use for the voice commands.
    General Patton

Re: I can see your point

Originally posted by Starwolf
    regarding getting more subscribers and getting the game visible in the stores again. But maybe FC should think this through before Shadowlands are released.

In the days prior to NW was released hardlyu anyone I spoke to in the different stores knew what NW was. They even did not have it on their distributorlist from their distributors. This witness to poor marketing of the game prior to release.
    This was my experience also. The only guy I saw who knew what NW was, was another customer who was also looking for it.

Maybe a little more hype and marketing would have been a good idea?