Thread: Camping Someone Else's Towers...

Camping Someone Else's Towers...

Anyone noticed how people of the opposing factions can just waltz up to your 100% suppression base, map out where all the towers are, of what type, and at what QL, and you can't do anything about it? I mean, if my base is at 100% suppression, an Omni could pretty much set up a cooler and a pup-tent under my controller and all I can use to try getting him out is harsh language

That's pretty lame, isn't it?

So, what to do about this? Well, that's pretty hard to develop, but I'll try.

Some explanation of my guiding principles: I don't want to make bases into incredible hazards to navigation, since people do have to travel over the game world. I don't want to introduce a half-measure that would be easily circumvented by swapping to an alt of the appropriate faction. And I don't want to make it absolutely impossible to scout a base. What I do want is to make scouting a base to require some effort, and to make it very unpleasant, or eventually fatal, to hang around a base that isn't your faction's.

So here are some ideas about what might be done. All ideas presume that that base is in its 100% gas period and that these effects can or would be "turned off" when the gas is reduced to 25%:

1. "Cloaked towers" - All towers but the Controller are invisible to people who aren't in the owning organization, thanks to a special Cloaking Device. People who want to scout the base need to use the "search" command and perception skill - and maybe a special "expendable-charges information tool item" to actually go around and look for towers.

2. "Decoy Towers" - Let organizations place "holographic towers" that look exactly the same as real towers, but are holograms like the rocks and trees and crates. These holograms last <insert reasonable number here> hours before their power sources fail.

3. "Warp-Away Towers" - A new type of tower that will warp anyone entering its area of effect to the nearest "crowd control" point when the gas is 100%. Acts as a runspeed debuff tower when the gas is 25%.

4. Slowly drain nano points from people in another faction's LC area when the gas is 100%, as the "hostile" towers steal their nanobots away to fuel themselves. Once nano points are gone, start draining health.

5. Start draining credits from people who linger inside the area of effect of another faction's towers, as a "tax" for being on the land. Hey, people wanted a money sink, right?

Anyway... trying to keep this positive here.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

cool ideas.

Maybe is a tower that sticks a 1 hour long -1% xp debuff on you.

Maybe give the area owner the option of switching to 25% gas if someone from another faction is in the area for 5 min or more.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

how bout make them 95%. where 95% means towers can attack opposite faction intruders but cannot be attacked by anything. *shrug*. I like your ideas but I think they undermine the ability to gain Intelligence. I do agree with you that this intelligence should not be free as it is now though.

Originally posted by arsiine
    how bout make them 95%. where 95% means towers can attack opposite faction intruders but cannot be attacked by anything. *shrug*. I like your ideas but I think they undermine the ability to gain Intelligence. I do agree with you that this intelligence should not be free as it is now though.
    I thought of this... then I thought of level 60 people flying over a level 150 base on their way to a mission and being blown to smithereens

My favorite of all the ideas I mentioned would be combining 1 & 2. Let people work for their intelligence by "searching" the area, and let us set up hologram towers - or actual decoy towers that have hitpoints but no effects - so they have to wonder if they missed a few towers, or what

The owner being able to toggle the gas down sounds like an interesting idea, but it would probably have to be 'rank restricted' inside the organization, and it could backfire.

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

/base guard ?
    Vergil : OT NT : Dept of Applied Nanotechnology
    Jobe Plaza
    Retired NT Professional
    Proud Owner of RubiKa's Biggest Banjo Collection
    Server First!

Ever seen someone take down one of the 1K shielded NPCs? They don't attack them, they just put up a reflect themselfs and get a healer in to keep them alive. 95% would just be another exploitable situtation

Apart from that, nice ideas
    2. "Decoy Towers" - Let organizations place "holographic towers" that look exactly the same as real towers, but are holograms like the rocks and trees and crates. These holograms last <insert reasonable number here> hours before their power sources fail.
    is my favourite

I also want a "report to org channel" tower, that sends report on any trespasing.

you can see the base on your minimap from anywhere in the zone anyway
    Suupaslap Master 10th Dan--Rk2
    Smugglerguy Ickle baby fixer--Rk2

Originally posted by SuupaSayen
    you can see the base on your minimap from anywhere in the zone anyway
    Obviously that would have to be changed as well

-----

3. "Warp-Away Towers" - A new type of tower that will warp anyone entering its area of effect to the nearest "crowd control" point when the gas is 100%. Acts as a runspeed debuff tower when the gas is 25%

----
    Unforturantly if they warped people away during 100% times, thats 18 hours a day that people cant do missoins near your base... and alot of mission zones are right in the middle of bases.

Nice ideas. I wish that they would take heed to a lot of good suggestions that I have read since release of NW. One can hope I guess

Screw 'em!

I think during 100% gas times, towers should open fire on enemy units that come within range. Enemy units can only fire back during 25% or 5% gas times. Very simple.