Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Yalm paint kit: Cerulean Blue?

Originally posted by Turin
    Guys, stop dreaming. Your not going to get it. FC wants you to buy un-usable stilletos instead. Cause if they give you to much of what YOU want, then they would be taking to much away from the money sinks THEY came up with. And we all know that every idea FC comes up with is like, the midas touch and all.

Buy a new yalm with a naked chick or atrox on it today. Blow some cash!
    /me looks around for Turin's pacifier
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Originally posted by Urshu
    Im fairly sure more colours will be added at some point, but given the fact that paint jobs are an excellent money sink, to put a full range in straight away would diminish its effect.

All the same, *bump* for teh blueness
    Actually I think it'd have the opposite effect. There are some people in this game that couldn't make up their minds even if given a kit and a 'how to' video. Plus the extremely rich would prolly be swapping their paint jobs around constantly, just to show how rich they were. More colors means more variety and more money spent changing back and forth.

The 'why' is prolly more a technical issue if I had to guess. New paints mean new meshes. And new meshes means longer load times for clients. Dunno what the ratio of # different meshes in viw = xxx load time. But that has to be accounted for somewhere :P

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Ooooooh i'd get a cobalt blue yalm, definatly paint it over my gold one.
    Kukulza proud unit member of Storm!!! - Equip - Perks
    Kuzap

K.U.K.U.L.Z.A.: Kinetic Upgraded Knight Used for Learning and Zealous Assassination

\m/ \m/

Cool

/me want a pink one to go with his new sunnies
    Hammerr
    member of Tigre Claw

Also Kenih (trader), Rujin (doc), Vargas (keeper), Haimatzu (MA)

Originally posted by Kuroshio

The 'why' is prolly more a technical issue if I had to guess. New paints mean new meshes. And new meshes means longer load times for clients. Dunno what the ratio of # different meshes in viw = xxx load time. But that has to be accounted for somewhere :P
    *Bzzzzt* thank you for playing.
    Mesh, AKA polygon mesh is for a new shape, like the Adaga/stiletto vs the basic Yalm, what the pant job would need is a new texture.

Well it would if FC implimented this in the worst possible way imaginable.

Even without vertex shaders, without pixel shaders or any DX8 spiffy stuff you can still do texture+vertex colour and the Yalm simply uses one "shiny" enviroment map.

The full range of 16/32 bit colour (sans alpha) should be available with 0 additional items to load. There is no technical reason to prevent this.

Anything else is just marketing drone.

Originally posted by Scipio/Medicae

By the way (just to whine a bit since I'm here), I was rather disappointed at the Vivid Red. I mean, when it says vivid, you'd hope for something a little more red than orange. Pfft.

orange is the new red.

damn banana republic wants everyone to be minty green this year...speaking of which, i want Classic Jaguar Green. (british racing green)
    Blue Steel(TM)

E 86% - S 60% - A 33% - K 20%
    http://www.andreasen.org/bartle/

SL upgraded oct 10, 2003

RK2 - Derek"Rayfield" Zoolander
    RK2 - "Umeshiso" Maki
    RK2 - Sylvester "Code187" Vallone

Originally posted by SM

Mesh, AKA polygon mesh is for a new shape, like the Adaga/stiletto vs the basic Yalm, what the pant job would need is a new texture.

Well it would if FC implimented this in the worst possible way imaginable.

Even without vertex shaders, without pixel shaders or any DX8 spiffy stuff you can still do texture+vertex colour and the Yalm simply uses one "shiny" enviroment map.

The full range of 16/32 bit colour (sans alpha) should be available with 0 additional items to load. There is no technical reason to prevent this.

Anything else is just marketing drone.
    Here.

EDIT - A few explanations:
    Here's Red

The important lines to notice is MonsterShape Wearer 203405. Safe bet the '203405' is a mesh id.

The other thing is that being in the original beta for AO, I'm lucky enough to remember that AO's graphic engine was created before DX8 was released. I think we were halfway through beta when DX8 went public. And I also remember the questions of whether or not AO would require DX7 or DX8.
    Last edited by Kuroshio; Dec 12th, 2002 at 15:03:14.

Wink

The important lines to notice is MonsterShape Wearer 203405. Safe bet the '203405' is a mesh id.
    Which sets the player to use Mesh _index_ 203406 (AKA it is simply a look up table) There is only one mesh for all XL yalms and a number of "materials" (A material being the combinatination of surface attributes and associated textures) The materials and meshes are refered to as single units by "mesh index".

The other thing is that being in the original beta for AO, I'm lucky enough to remember that AO's graphic engine was created before DX8 was released. I think we were halfway through beta when DX8 went public. And I also remember the questions of whether or not AO would require DX7 or DX8.
    And as I said:

Originally posted by SM

Note the "without". You can do texture+vertex colour in DX7, DX8 and opengl.

Super, smashing, lovely, great, look at what you could have won.
    (If you're English you may get that last one )
    Last edited by SM; Dec 12th, 2002 at 17:38:39.

It should be very possible - especially given that the new 29478 paints seem to be a retint of the model (the windscreens being a giveaway). Presumably just a question of specifying which tint to use?

(Oh, and SM.../me burns Bruce Forsyth in effigy)

Originally posted by SM

Which sets the player to use Mesh _index_ 203406 (AKA it is simply a look up table) There is only one mesh for all XL yalms and a number of "materials" (A material being the combinatination of surface attributes and associated textures) The materials and meshes are refered to as single units by "mesh index".
    You didn't look hard enough.
    Yalmaha XL Vivid Red - 29478
    • MonsterShape Wearer 203405

Yalmaha XL Gold Flash - 29478
    • MonsterShape Wearer 203406

I'll admit I completely forgot about shading and texture colors. But at the same time, I'm still betting that these mesh id refer to completely individual meshes. And not a single mesh with different shaders applied to it. I hope I'm wrong because that would mean there's functionality completely untapped in AO's engine (the same principle could be applied to armor, cloaks, weapons, ect.).

So the question I have is are you saying they're not individual meshes because you've pulled apart the resource database and actually looked? Or are you saying they're not indivdual meshes because it's not logical to have them as individual meshes? Which ignore the facts like when AO was made and the amount of pressure on Funcom to release at that time. Pressure which really hasn't abated since release.

You didn't look hard enough.
    Yalmaha XL Vivid Red - 29478
    • MonsterShape Wearer 203405

Yalmaha XL Gold Flash - 29478
    • MonsterShape Wearer 203406

Different Mesh ID's not different mesh's the mesh ID DB is simply a look up table for the actual mesh and the Material (and other bits and bobs)

I'll admit I completely forgot about shading and texture colors. But at the same time, I'm still betting that these mesh id refer to completely individual meshes. And not a single mesh with different shaders applied to it.
    There is only one Yalm XL Polygon mesh in the Rez DB. Mesh ID != point and face data.

Shader is a specific modern >DX8 term (though it was used previous to that by ID and others), Material is a generic term applied to all forms of polygon surface painting (and types of shape).

Originally posted by SM

Different Mesh ID's not different mesh's the mesh ID DB is simply a look up table for the actual mesh and the Material (and other bits and bobs)

There is only one Yalm XL Polygon mesh in the Rez DB. Mesh ID != point and face data.

Shader is a specific modern >DX8 term (though it was used previous to that by ID and others), Material is a generic term applied to all forms of polygon surface painting (and types of shape).
    You didn't answer the question, SM
    So the question I have is are you saying they're not individual meshes because you've pulled apart the resource database and actually looked? Or are you saying they're not indivdual meshes because it's not logical to have them as individual meshes? Which ignore the facts like when AO was made and the amount of pressure on Funcom to release at that time. Pressure which really hasn't abated since release.

You didn't answer the question, SM
    No, no I didn't. But then again those that have admitted to dismantling the rez DB have had their account suspended haven't they:

www.aordb.cjb.net

RED?

the red paint look more like a mix of orange and gold on my computer is it only on mine?

Originally posted by SM

No, no I didn't. But then again those that have admitted to dismantling the rez DB have had their account suspended haven't they:

www.aordb.cjb.net
    Erm...Jayde hasn't. Auno hasn't. Stratics hasn't.

purple pls

I didn't buy NW because there's no purple yalm paint (I'm serious)
    ~ Nikki "Kitene" Darling ~
    4925867th lvl 200 MA. cookie plz!
    ~ Lady "Aerfalle"Aerlinthe ~
    4925867th 200 NT. Gimme cookie
    '.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.>Storm<.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12