Thread: Off Topic. BOOKS

Off Topic. BOOKS

i know this should go in non ao related but who reads that?

so, has anyone read any good books? what are ur favs? im going with my family on a *fun* roadtrip.

What are ur fav sci-fi / fantasy / good books?

My fav books are the Enders Game Series, THe Hobbit series, and Shannara series (havnt read all, only sword --> wishsong)

what books do u recommend me getting?

-Stimmed Out

Check out Almost any Clive barker novel. imagica and the great and secret show should get you hooked to his style of fantasy/horror love stories.

not for everyone but some damn good books

Books

The hobbit is good I guess by that you have read lord of the rings, if not its worth a try. I found it a bit slow going and only made it half way through the second book after 2 goes at it different points in my life. I hope 3rd time luckly.

Alongside these must rank the tales of Dragonlance which like LOR ranks as a sort of benchmark for all fantasy books. The series is a lot easier to read then most the plot is not so complex and the some of the chars are bland and what you come to expect of the hero type. But there are some really great chars which stand out a mile from the page. The second series of books confirms this by taking these forward. Their easy of reading makes them great holiday books as you can pick up the story quite easy at any point. You do have to read the books in order as they follow on. I have seen they do a big paperback of the first 3 books at least which would make it ideal. I think these books where the corner stone of roleplaying games today, as many of the classes and monsters come from this series. I am sure that the games came before the book even but the books do bring all the ideas together in a good story.

I find the Dune books interesting, you may have seen the film on which the book is based but you will find the other books in the dune series are nothing like the film. They really do leave you with a lot to think about. The same is true of the Issac Asimov books, if your into Sc Fi they are a must read along with HG wells. I had to do a book report on them at school they where good, got you thinking about alsort of things but not really my sort of book.

A bit lighter, well a lot lighter reading is Terry Prathet Books, I often find my self laughing out loud when reading them. I am sure the people on the same train as me think i am nuts. Best to start with the first book which was the colour of magic and try to read them in some order. The chararcters do tend to build up during the course of the series and some do have a logical order where some are way of the beaten track.

The final author I can recommend is David Gemmell I am not a great fan of fanasty, or sc fi books but I find he has a great writing style. The stories are what you would come to expect of the fanasty type where a group of heros set out to defeat the evil in the world. But is books do have a twist, the heros often have a dark side to, and not all the evil characters turn out to be evil in the end.

But what brings the books to life for me has to be the lands in which the books are set. He gives you a very detailed picture of where theres adventures take place, you can almost see the snowy topped hills. By doing this you get the feeling the heros are really going on some journey that by then end of the book the story has moved on from the start.

Well thats my views but reading is a personal choice, its worth reading as many different types of book as possible. I am often surprized by books on subjects I hate turn out to be really interesting. If s often worth a gamble to try books on authros you have never heard of, course its better to get these bokos from libraries or at least second hand book shops so you dont waste so much money if they turn out to be lemons.

Kirrana

I would recomend most books by William Gibson as he was one of the founders for the Cyberpunk genre.
    And if you need to choose one .. pick Neuromancer its realy good.

I highly recommend Tom Robbins.

His latest "Fierce Infidels Home from Hot Climates" is amazing.

Snarf
    Snarf: Level 165 Atrox NT

"At one time you were maybe a little useful Snarf. Now you're just being annoying." -- Hawkman

"Well one guy said Atrox was the worst breed for the NT. The other guy said......'You tell that to Snarf....he'll kick your arse!' You are a NT Rockstar!" -- Hemicuda

"Snarf, Snerf, Nerf. It's YOU that brought nerf to NT's you you!" -- Rhayden

"Snarf cuts to the core of the problem like a chainsaw to a bunny rabbit." -- Deaddreamer

If you want to see the dawn of "cyberpunk", you have got to read "Neuromancer" by William Gybson. I liked it, but it was a bit wierd for some people. It's where Shadowrun came from, and without it, we'd have no Matrix.

As far as Fantasy, nothing compares to the "Dragonlance Chronicles" and "Dragonlance Legends" trilogys. While written for more of a "teen" type audience, they are my favorite fantasy books of all time. In fact, my first Child's middle name will be Raistlin :P But, I do agree that some of the characters were too generic and dull... that's why they were in Chronicles, but not in Legends (god I hate Tanis!)

For a more mature fantasy (by mature I just mean more adult, not nasty) try "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan. The first book goes kind of slow, but it's a great series. Definitely too long of a series for a quick read though.

For a less mature fantasy, I'm currently re-reading "The Chronicles of Narnia", a 7 part series written for children by C.S. Lewis. You've probably heard of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrode", which was the first book (although now they have re-ordered the books and it's #2). This one is great for a quick read- Would only take a few weeks to finish the whole series. Personally, I would recommend reading these in their original order, as the new order really seems to hurt the flow of the books (while it is now "chronologically" correct, it just doesn't "feel" right).

-D

I can't believe I left out Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! Zany-comedy sci-fi at it's best! by Douglas Adams. A great quick read if you don't have a lot of time. I think I finished all five books (of the trilogy?) in about 2 days.

-D

Dropcid, it's not 'the trilogy?', it's 'THE trilogy.'
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Originally posted by WGMelchior
    Dropcid, it's not 'the trilogy?', it's 'THE trilogy.'
    Just referencing the fact that THE trilogy has 5 books.
    HGTTG is the only book I've ever read that literally had me in laughing fits and tears. At least for the first 3 books or so. It starts to get lame around the 4th book.

-D

Books

In no particular order:

1. "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
    (and then "Ender's Shadow", "Shadow of the Hegemon", "Speaker for the Dead", "Xenocide", "Children of the Mind")

2. "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein
    (and then "Time Enough for Love","Starship Troopers", etc.)

3. "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan
    (and then the rest of the Wheel of Time series)

4. "Dune" by Frank Herbert
    (and all of the rest of his Dune novels, even the prequels by
    his son and Kevin J. Anderson)

5. "Neuromancer" by William Gibson
    (and everything else he's written)

6. "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice
    (and then "Lasher" and "Taltos")

7. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkein
    (followed by the Lord of the Rings trilogy)

... and the list goes on and on ....

- Sllaagor

Another Excellent Series

That Curious George fellow is a riot.....

DAMN YOU, MAN IN THE THE YELLOW HAT!