Thread: Suggestion: 5 minute delay on shield neutralization

Smile Suggestion: 5 minute delay on shield neutralization

The original concept documents I read for Notum Wars gave the defender the advantage, but it really hasn't worked out that way.

- Neutralizers were supposed to be costly, but they aren't.
    - Attackers can blitz a controller and take it down in about 10 minutes, with no time for the defenders to stage an effective defense. This is especially a problem with ql150 controllers being attaced by lvl200 players.
    - A coordinated attack involving many attackers is very effective in terms of being able to establish full teams with maximum buffs.
    - In contrast, defenders arrive in partial teams, needing buffs, and are easily dispatched by coordinated attack teams. The defenders have little choice because if their controlelr is being blitzed, they can lose their base in 10 minutes.
    - The tower attack channels are not working. Many organizations are being attacked and don't even realize it. This severely hampers a coordinated defense.
    - Defenders have been burned by calling allies to defense when there was a small attack force (1-3 people) that virtually dissapears when any defenders show up. This means that defenders have to wait to assess the situation to know how many defenders to call.

The bottom line is that the attackers have the upper hand. Aggressive organizations and griefers are experiencing more success than defensive organizations that are just trying to hold on to the one or two lands they have.

A simple suggestion would be to have shield neutralizers take 5 minutes to do their work. 5 minutes is not a long time, but it would give defenders at least a small jump on calling allies and mounting a defense. It would also be a deterent against griefers who are just causing havoc and doesn't really have any intention of attacking the controller.

If the entire system wasn't so lopsided in favor of attackers, such a suggestion would not be necessary. But as it is, I feel that this would be an effective way to level the playing field until needed fixes to the tower channels and other problems are resolved.
    Last edited by Szentasha; Dec 9th, 2002 at 17:05:23.
    - Szentasha
    Leader of Unity of the Rose

AOScripter 2.0 If you need a script, you need AOScripter!

*** Remove Social Armor Restrictions Today !!!

Agree and BUMP
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Yeah, same... agree and *bump*
    "I never threaten, I merely promise"

I very much agree.
    Rebbeca Omni Tek President
    RHD Black Watch Regiment

"Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards."
    -Aldous Huxley

Thumbs up

hear hear .. eh .. I mean *BUMP*

Build lower qlvl control tower!!!

That protects u from the high level people

bump
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

The attackers having teams already formed is such a huge advantage, this should be a no brainer. Add in the coming change to disallowing healing beyond pvp range and this becomes an overwhelming advantage. The defenders in multi level tier guilds wont be able to organize teams fast enough that 'fit' into the small pvp windows. Also, the system as it stands is very alliance/cooperation unfriendly. We, as defenders, need more time to organize. Five minutes to prepare is not too much to ask.
    Travesty
    martial arts has-been
    freedom fighter
    teen idol

"Dont hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because Im sleeping with your girlfriend."

I tend to agree.

As soon as the disabler is used on a tower, the whole org should get a message (Shield is being probed - x minutes before it will fail), the disabler should then take several minutes to actually bring down the shield - requiring that the person using it not move in that time. Once the shield is down a second message should go out to the owning org (Shield failed, towers under attack). If the disabler user moves or is otherwise interrupted before completing the process, the org should also get a messag telling them that the shield has been re-established.

The changes in 14.7.5 should help a bit by making controllers tougher, but some 'warning period' would still be very helpful.

And an in-game mechanism for formal alliances is also needed, which would treat members of allied orgs as if they were in your own org for purposes of the 5% PvP rule and ideally for org tower messages too (but not for area tower buffs, though also not for area tower debuffs )
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Its good as it is.....

People just goto base same second it goes 25% and takes down shields...

Then they attack 5 hours later... u think anyone is still at the base?

Soo 5 min delay is kinda useless...

If someone can take down a 150 base in 10 min... well i guess u need more than control tower at the base

Notifications need to be fixed.

A delay for attackers needs to be implemented so that defenders can team up.

The controller should be invulnerable or effectively invulnerable as long as there are more than <insert a fairly reasonable number here> support towers on the base.

That stupid change about healing should never go forward as it is currently being envisioned by FC.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Interesting but it still won't work.

I like the idea of a 5 minute "alarm period" before the attackers can engage the towers. Everybody in the defending org should be alerted. But even so the attacker will always have the advantage. That's the nature of a "sneak attack".

How the hell does the shield neutralizer work anyways?

I bought a whole bag of them, but have never had to actually use one.

Just walk up to base, press Q. Go have a smoke.
    Veteran Homer "Detonate" McDuff - My Equipment
    -= First Order =-

First Order is one of the largest and most powerful Omni-Tek Departments located on Rubi-Ka 1. If you are a dedicated Omni-Tek employee looking for superior opportunities within the company, check out http://www.firstorder.net/ and apply for a position today!
    First Order is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on Breed, Level, or Profession.

WHY MMORPG'S SUCK!

Arrow

Having not actually attacked a base, I've never seen one used, but I was under the impression you had to use one before you could attack... if you don't have to, then that sounds like it is very broken (pretty sure you get a message whan a disabler is used, but if you don't have to use one, you may never get a message your under attack...) This might explain the issues surrounding the towers channels...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper