Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please reboot my machine on AO exit

Originally posted by Tamiyana

erm... the cpu.. should be 1.8GHz at least these days... (xp2200)
    Pc133 RAM>?>?>?>? .............. DDR 333 MINIMUM these days... 1GB is ok.. 1.5GB is more the norm for Decent games machines.
    7200 rpm HDD... ok... SCSI is better or go for 7200rpm RAID STRIPE setup..
    GF4... fine....
    Win2k.... debateable but i find better performance with Xp Pro... depends on your other hardware/drivers etc
    roflol... your definition of minimum are pretty silly, one of my box's is HALF of your minimums in almost all reguards and runs AO, ICQ, MSN messenger, internet exporer, and clicksaver simotaniously without any issue at all.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Told you this was going to happen, everyone is going to want to show off now... my system runs fine, and that was the point. I don't need to waste another 400 dollars and over do my machine.

I'm able to run numberous applications with ease and it hasn't failed me yet.
    signature ! !

Originally posted by Yazule

roflol... your definition of minimum are pretty silly, one of my box's is HALF of your minimums in almost all reguards and runs AO, ICQ, MSN messenger, internet exporer, and clicksaver simotaniously without any issue at all.
    The sort of specs im talking about are for a GOOD games machine that can handle such things as doom3 etc...

If you cant afford to keep up then go get a playstation... PC's arent for kiddies who have to beg off momma for upgrades.
    TAMIYANA - RK1

Mail Tami!
    ------------------------------------------------
    To fear your enemy is wise.. to know your enemy is wiser still.....

The sort of specs im talking about are for a GOOD games machine that can handle such things as doom3 etc...

If you cant afford to keep up then go get a playstation... PC's arent for kiddies who have to beg off momma for upgrades.
    simma down now

in this post, you come off more like a kid than yaz does

*sigh*

I am merely pointing out that a 1.2Ghz chip simply doesnt cut it these days... you cant even buy them anymore. 1.4Ghz is entry level now.. and costs about 40US Dollars.

If you want to play AO with almost no loading lag then you need a fast hard drive and lots of ram... DDR rather than pc133. His graphics card is fine, i was merely pointing out that an xp2200 is near enough normal spec now (in my part of the world anyway ) and DDR prices are so low now that for a new mainboard, cpu and 1 GB DDR hes only looking at about 350USD or about £300.
    TAMIYANA - RK1

Mail Tami!

lol, well I buy my own hardware, and as I said it is ONE of my boxes, my old one, the one that plays any good fps out there with NO problem (tribes2 and jedi outcast online to name two).

sorry, but 750 mhz with half gig of ram and a g2mx 400 (my smaller box) runs everything I have ever tried just as easily as my 2.4 ghz processor g4 ti4600 1 gig of pc-800 ram.

I use solid modeling for a living, that is the ONLY reason I upgraded because that is a software package that I can actually see the difference with.

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Nb. This is all speculation.

I'm guessing the shutdown time is down to their resource manager aggregrating all loaded resources into virtual memory compounded by the fact that AO seems to consist of a number of dlls preventing quick and dirty process level entire heap deallocation.

I watched memory as I zoned around just now and it went like,

Start

BB Omni Ent 155Mb
    to Omni trade 177Mb
    to OE to Rome 190Mb
    to OE to grid to Newland 250Mb

Clearly the resource manager is just allowing resources to aggregate and relying on windows virtual memory management to sort it out. This makes sense - if you're going to cache disk access on many target machines with differing amounts of physical memory - let Windows do it. Why reload something that may still be in memory - and if it isn't what benefit is to be gained loading from the original file instead of a copy from nice flat virtual memory.

Unfortunately deallocating this memory in a structured fashion means rewalking the intricately fragmented heaps block by block for each and every resource you attempt to deallocate.

The dirty quick shutdown simply quits leaving the OS to deallocate heap by heap - not block by block. But in a complex interdependent dll based asynchronous system this isn't very structured. (I'm sure they could still do it though

P.S. If using win 2000 or XP try setting the OS to optimise memory usage for system cache instead of programs.

Originally posted by Lavitar
    What is really irritating is that when I sit down to log out of the game, a new client window is programmed to open while the first one closes. This adds to the general workload of my pc, and makes my pc use 100% of the resources.

If I type /quit, then the old window closes and a new one doesnt open. Just the way I want it.

Make it so that a new client doesnt open when I log out normally. I like to have controll of this myself.
    Uhm... Try using /camp... It does the 30 sec logout and then closes normally without relaunching the launcher.
    I hold no ties to any faction.

I am Clan, only because it suits my purposes. I will not fight your war for you, as it is not my war. Unless it benefits me.
    I am not Omni, as I am not a sheep. I have individual thoughts and feelings and I do not take orders well.
    I am not Neutral as I believe in taking any advantage offered to me.

I go where the winds take me. I believe in absolute freedom. I sell to the highest bidder, no matter their affiliation.

I am Fixer.

Knightwulf

erm... the cpu.. should be 1.8GHz at least these days... (xp2200)
    Pc133 RAM>?>?>?>? .............. DDR 333 MINIMUM these days... 1GB is ok.. 1.5GB is more the norm for Decent games machines.
    7200 rpm HDD... ok... SCSI is better or go for 7200rpm RAID STRIPE setup..
    GF4... fine....
    Win2k.... debateable but i find better performance with Xp Pro... depends on your other hardware/drivers etc
    To go with 1.5 GB you have to use PC2400 DDR which would provide more of a performance hit than adding another wasted 512 MB to your system configuration, not to mention that buffering between three chips is considerably slower than with two.

SCSI is an absolute waste of cash... A decent pair of high quailty 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache IDE drives will provide a 5% performance hit over SCSI for 1/12th the price for equivelent drive space.
    I hold no ties to any faction.

I am Clan, only because it suits my purposes. I will not fight your war for you, as it is not my war. Unless it benefits me.
    I am not Omni, as I am not a sheep. I have individual thoughts and feelings and I do not take orders well.
    I am not Neutral as I believe in taking any advantage offered to me.

I go where the winds take me. I believe in absolute freedom. I sell to the highest bidder, no matter their affiliation.

I am Fixer.

Knightwulf

Originally posted by Knightwulf

To go with 1.5 GB you have to use PC2400 DDR

Since when??? im quite happily running 3X512MB DDR400 CaS2 sticks together... and the sandra scores are higher then with 2X512MB.

As for SCSI i agree.... but if you are using only a single drive then SCSI is better.... price all depends on who you know and where in the world you are. ( as with all things)
    TAMIYANA - RK1

Mail Tami!

Ugh can we stop the ***** measuring please? This could be a constructive post about the exit process. Nobody cares how uber your system is, or whatever reasons there are (money?) for not having an uber system. It doesn't matter.

Back to topic, I presume the cleanup is done for system like Win98 without proper memory management. Is this so necessary for Win2k users?

And i'd be careful with ending the task, sometimes when I do that it corrupts my config file and I have to redo all my settings. I'd just make a backup of the prefs folder now and then just in case if you're going to end task instead of quitting.

Thumbs up re

One word,

Cacheman, know it, love it, use it......
    Gorgetha
    Priestess of the Unspeakable
    Omni Meta-physicist (RK1 Atlantean)

Ratty.... im female.

And besides hardware and memory management go hand in hand. Ao is a VERY memory intensive game... purely for the way the game engine works. It does not dynamically load textures into memory as it can... it waits untill you need the new textures and THEN loads them... some people mistake this for "lag" its not.. its your pc being asked to load large amounts of data and if you dont have a fast drive/ram disk then you will get judders.
    With 1.5GB of ram i can tell you that after i have zoned to an area and zone back, even 3 hours later, the zoning is almost instant.

When shutting down windows has to re-allocate all that used memory... and because of the way AO works most of that memory is not windows cache file stored, rather allocated in blocks for AO's use. So when closing down windows cant just wipe it out as it would with most games ( that use the windows managed cache to save data) rather it de-allocated each block one at a time... which takes time. Unless FC totally reprogramme the way the game uses memory i doubt we will see an improvement.
    TAMIYANA - RK1

Mail Tami!

This may be off topic but it bugs me. Ok Taskmanager is not ctrl+alt+del its ctrl+shift+esc the latter is just used to log out/lock screen and they happened to put taskmanager there as a freebe.

Originally posted by sorrow
    This may be off topic but it bugs me. Ok Taskmanager is not ctrl+alt+del its ctrl+shift+esc the latter is just used to log out/lock screen and they happened to put taskmanager there as a freebe.
    wow neat, learn something new every day!

ROFLOL

Arrow

I'd guess AOs memory management was written for Win98 which has c**p memory management. The argument about letting Windows manage the disk cache holds no water for Win98 and is practically the worst thing you can do. I don't know enough about Win2K, but as its based on NT, it has rather more sophisticated caching and memory management strategies.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Originally posted by Yazule

wow neat, learn something new every day!

Yazule, there are quite a few things like that in windows. Not sure if you know them or not but the windows key and a lot of other keys go together, just some things...

winkey+ pausebreak opens up the system properties window

winkey+ f (find files)
    winkey+ e (explorer)
    winkey+ r (cmd line)

also something cool with IE is F11 if you push that it maximizes the IE window more so then normal...its pretty cool

yep, know all of those,

I am a certified GEEK *shows his papers*, so when you posted the task manager hotkey I was STUNNED hehe.

probably mymost used hotkeys are ctrl-c and ctrl-v and ctrl-x

use them at work all the time

then probably ctrl-f (searching for pesky solids files that i lost somewhere in the sea of folders I have created)

ROFLOL

*sigh*

I am merely pointing out that a 1.2Ghz chip simply doesnt cut it these days... you cant even buy them anymore. 1.4Ghz is entry level now.. and costs about 40US Dollars.

If you want to play AO with almost no loading lag then you need a fast hard drive and lots of ram... DDR rather than pc133. His graphics card is fine, i was merely pointing out that an xp2200 is near enough normal spec now (in my part of the world anyway ) and DDR prices are so low now that for a new mainboard, cpu and 1 GB DDR hes only looking at about 350USD or about £300.
    For a new decent mainboard, 2.5 GHz Intel CPU ( tired of cranky motherboards for AMD CPU's ) and 1 GB of Crucial PC2100 ECC RAM, I'm looking at an invenstment closer to USD $700 ( converted from local currency )

Yes, I know I can get away with a lower cost by going AMD again and get some cheap RAM, but that is the route that eventually led me into my current system.

And having experienced the drawbacks of quite a bit of "cheap" hardware I've decided to upgrade a bit more...

But my economy needs a month or two more before being able to take that hit and still pay the bills

Funny thing, bills. Then seem to be multiplying as rabbits as you grow older. Must be a hormone thing.
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12