Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please reboot my machine on AO exit

Thumbs down Please reboot my machine on AO exit

Currently, whenever I exit AO it goes through this 2+ minute 'cleanup' sequence.

Its faster to reboot my machine than wait for this cleanup idiocy. And that's I do now.

Funcom, save yourself some coding, just reboot people's machines on AO exit.

What is really irritating is that when I sit down to log out of the game, a new client window is programmed to open while the first one closes. This adds to the general workload of my pc, and makes my pc use 100% of the resources.

If I type /quit, then the old window closes and a new one doesnt open. Just the way I want it.

Make it so that a new client doesnt open when I log out normally. I like to have controll of this myself.
    "Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Yeah, I get this too Another dumbness. For the option of exiting to login they need to make use of the exisitng client.

The irony is that this 'cleanup' code is supposed to be necessary so AO won't crash if a second client is begun before the first one terminates. Yet this exit to login mode ensures that that is exactly what is going to happen. Doh.

The code is obviously a hack. Just reboot.

if you have windows nt, 2k, or xp then use the task manager and end the process running the client. much quicker than rebooting.

Heh, the longest it's ever taken for me was about 45 secs, and that's after several hours of game play, your comps are stinky :P

Ugh... now here comes everyone listing their system specs
    signature ! !

Originally posted by Some Guy
    Heh, the longest it's ever taken for me was about 45 secs, and that's after several hours of game play, your comps are stinky :P

Ugh... now here comes everyone listing their system specs
    Yep !

Here's my stinky comp :

1.2 GHz Athlon T-Bird
    1 GB PC133 RAM
    7200 rpm HD's
    GF 4 Ti4600

Win2k Pro

Where's the stinky bit ?
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

FC seems to get off on making us sit and look at countdown lines and many other periods of long 'sit and do nothing time' reclaim/rez/ncu belt equipping/yalm equipping just to name a few. When I close AO I always double alt+f4. I have no need or desire to sit look @ a line countdown for 30 seconds. Also the 1st thing I do when the black screen comes up is push ctrl+alt+del to end task as I have no need or desire to look @ a fat blue line count down for various amounts of time. FC obviously has a warped way of thinking in all the wait and do nothing time they have in their game. I guess I'm just an oddball thinking it's better in a game to keep the action going for a maximum amount of time.

I often need to clear memory when i play my Engineer. And since i don't have 5 minute to relog (I don't want to loose my bot). This is what i do to relog within a minute.

Logoff normally
    After the 30 sec in game timeout hit CTRL-ALT-DEL
    Choose Anarchy Online
    Click Terminate Now
    Wait for the game to terminate
    Restart the game.

Take less then a min instead of 2-3 waiting for that blue bar.
    Aguitha, Engineer
    Cratisha, Bureaucrat

Originally posted by Wraith God
    Yeah, I get this too Another dumbness. For the option of exiting to login they need to make use of the exisitng client.

The irony is that this 'cleanup' code is supposed to be necessary so AO won't crash if a second client is begun before the first one terminates. Yet this exit to login mode ensures that that is exactly what is going to happen. Doh.

The code is obviously a hack. Just reboot.
    Pay attention...

LAUNCHER not the same as CLIENT

The window that is opened is a new LAUNCHER window, the thing that is shutting down is the CLIENT. Two seperate programs.

So, 'exit to login' shuts down the client whilst starting a new launcher, 'exit to windows' just shuts down the client.

All clear now?
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

win2k user here

i just hit ctr-alt-delete and use the task manager to end process, no reboot neccisary hehe.

works like a dream
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

ya i do the same thing, log out...while RAM is clearing kill clientr.exe on task manager.
    Shairo 146 Doc
    Alagorna 90 MP
    Midgetstowm 76 Rookie Enf
    Hateration 41 Rookie Adv
    Baryon 25 Enf, now Stygian powered

Omg catchy song
    Beep Beep Little Satellite

FUNNIEST.SITE.EVER

Originally posted by Aguitha
    I often need to clear memory when i play my Engineer. And since i don't have 5 minute to relog (I don't want to loose my bot). This is what i do to relog within a minute.

Logoff normally
    After the 30 sec in game timeout hit CTRL-ALT-DEL
    Choose Anarchy Online
    Click Terminate Now
    Wait for the game to terminate
    Restart the game.

Take less then a min instead of 2-3 waiting for that blue bar.
    If you are using NT,2000 or XP, select processes tab, then end process client.exe... instantanious, no waits like end task on the application tab.
    Luxferro

"We will look into it"

Yeah right..lol

Originally posted by Seid

Yep !

Here's my stinky comp :

1.2 GHz Athlon T-Bird
    1 GB PC133 RAM
    7200 rpm HD's
    GF 4 Ti4600

Win2k Pro

Where's the stinky bit ?
    LOL mines exactly the same except for one thing.. mines a GF 4 Ti 4200, well then I don't know why... your just jinxed
    signature ! !

some of us run other programs while AO is on.....

rebooting isn't such a great idea..

kurtz
    Pre-14.6 Freshman Boycott "Toolboxau" Canada - Legend 200 - Unit Member of Reborn - Proud American and Proud Conservative

ChanOP in FC's offical #anarchyonline; visit irc.funcom.com

Some say this country's just out looking for a fight
    Well after 9/11 man I'd have to say that's right
    Have you forgetten?

Yeah, I agree you can kill the client. You can even do it in win98 (which is what I use) through Wintop.

The point though is, that presumably this cleanup code is doing constructive cleanup work to prevent crashes. Killing the process prevents it from doing that work. Rebotting, on the other hand, guarantees a clean start, and thus gets the job done, and does it faster.

To mgbkurtz's comment that he runs other things while AO is running, all I can say is, I envy your machine. Can't do that with mine.

But yeah, rebooting is not a general solution, and I offered it to Funcom, tongue in cheek. What they've got to do is fix their damn code. It is totally ridiculous that their approach to cleaning up their process takes longer than a complete system reboot. That's really the point I wanted to make.

Well the thing is AO memory is mixed in with all sorts of other memory so it has to pick through it all finding what needs to be taken and take it out.

When you reboot it just plain purges the memory, that's why it's faster. Would you like AO to flush your memory while Windows is running? I don't think it would be to happy about that.

You constantly got processes going on in the background weather you like it or not, it's just how Windows is... so AO is constantly working around Windows memory usage and Windows around AO, therefore you get cluttered memory all over the place, that's why the longer AO is running the longer the cleanup is going to take, small pieces all over the place.
    Last edited by Sergyevich; Dec 10th, 2002 at 08:28:17.
    signature ! !

Yep !

Here's my stinky comp :

1.2 GHz Athlon T-Bird
    1 GB PC133 RAM
    7200 rpm HD's
    GF 4 Ti4600

Win2k Pro

Where's the stinky bit ?
    1.2 GHz Athlon T-Bird <- *points at the stinky bit*

Lich × Finalizer × Dictator × Vanguard × Techno Arch-Wizard × Godfather × Eternalist × Saviour × Deity × Guru

'People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use' - Kierkegaard

Originally posted by Wraith God
    To mgbkurtz's comment that he runs other things while AO is running, all I can say is, I envy your machine. Can't do that with mine.
    i run mIRC, ICQ, AIM, Win exp, Zone Alarm while playing AO..
    and i aint on no Cray =-)
    just 1.2 ath, 256MB DDR RAM, GF2
    kurtz
    Pre-14.6 Freshman Boycott "Toolboxau" Canada - Legend 200 - Unit Member of Reborn - Proud American and Proud Conservative

ChanOP in FC's offical #anarchyonline; visit irc.funcom.com

Some say this country's just out looking for a fight
    Well after 9/11 man I'd have to say that's right
    Have you forgetten?

Yep !

Here's my stinky comp :

1.2 GHz Athlon T-Bird
    1 GB PC133 RAM
    7200 rpm HD's
    GF 4 Ti4600

Win2k Pro

Where's the stinky bit ?

erm... the cpu.. should be 1.8GHz at least these days... (xp2200)
    Pc133 RAM>?>?>?>? .............. DDR 333 MINIMUM these days... 1GB is ok.. 1.5GB is more the norm for Decent games machines.
    7200 rpm HDD... ok... SCSI is better or go for 7200rpm RAID STRIPE setup..
    GF4... fine....
    Win2k.... debateable but i find better performance with Xp Pro... depends on your other hardware/drivers etc
    TAMIYANA - RK1

Mail Tami!
    ------------------------------------------------
    To fear your enemy is wise.. to know your enemy is wiser still.....

Yaya...new system is at the planning stage. Had to give a new car investment priority this year

So PC is a bit down on the priority list.

I'll have to replace motherboard + ram + cpu which will be a few thousand NOK. Sometime early next year methinks.
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast